Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-20-2012, 09:43 AM   #12961
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Fortress of Owls by C. J. Cherryh
A bit more action, and I'll definitely read the other two, but it seems that the last four books in this series are one big story arc.

Time for something quicker and lighter: The Unwelcome Warlock by Lawrence Watt-Evans

I just picked it up from Kobo Books on a 90% discount!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:51 PM   #12962
Polarpenguin
Groupie
Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS- T3S, Kobo aura H2O Kobo aura One Kobo libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wholesalestunna
Tripwire by Lee Child. Working on reading my way through the Jack Reacher series
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Big +1 for that. I envy you the chance to read them for the first time (if it is the first?).
Am currently doing the same. Just finished #8 The Enemy.

Last edited by Polarpenguin; 04-20-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Polarpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:27 PM   #12963
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Currently Reading:

- Chronicles of Sherlock Holmes by David B. Beckwith (83%)

- Throttle by Joe Hill and Stephen King (short story, 43%)

- The Rook by Daniel O'Malley (25%)

- Moby-Dick, or The Whale by Herman Melville (19%)

- Skeleton Crew by Stephen King (35%) [on hold]

Throttle is a short story by Stephen King and his son Joe Hill. I think it has something to do with their IDW comic Road Rage but I'm not sure exactly what. I just know it was $0.99 and it's really good. The style feels more Joe Hill than Stephen King so I think he did the lion's share of the writing (indeed, his name is first on the cover, and my Nook lists the author simply as "Joe Hill").

Last edited by tecweston; 04-20-2012 at 03:29 PM.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:48 PM   #12964
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecweston View Post
Currently Reading:

- Chronicles of Sherlock Holmes by David B. Beckwith (83%)

- Throttle by Joe Hill and Stephen King (short story, 43%)

- The Rook by Daniel O'Malley (25%)

- Moby-Dick, or The Whale by Herman Melville (19%)

Throttle is a short story by Stephen King and his son Joe Hill. I think it has something to do with their IDW comic Road Rage but I'm not sure exactly what. I just know it was $0.99 and it's really good. The style feels more Joe Hill than Stephen King so I think he did the lion's share of the writing (indeed, his name is first on the cover, and my Nook lists the author simply as "Joe Hill").

Just a question. I see you have a Nook STR and you keep up with your books by using percentages instead of page numbers. Is there a special setting to do that?

Ontopic: I'm currently reading The Hunger Games' second book, Catching Fire.
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:56 PM   #12965
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGrama View Post

Just a question. I see you have a Nook STR and you keep up with your books by using percentages instead of page numbers. Is there a special setting to do that?
It's hidden but there's a way to do it with Nook books. Within the book, tap the screen and then tap "More." Then tap "Share," then "Post Reading Status." You don't have to actually post anything to Facebook or Twitter, but it will have a preview of your post that says "I am through xx% of the book..."

For side-loaded books, just do it the whole fashioned way:
Old 04-20-2012, 04:47 PM   #12966
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
Quote:
It's hidden but there's a way to do it with Nook books. Within the book, tap the screen and then tap "More." Then tap "Share," then "Post Reading Status." You don't have to actually post anything to Facebook or Twitter, but it will have a preview of your post that says "I am through xx% of the book..."

For side-loaded books, just do it the whole fashioned way:
Good one. Thank you.
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:43 PM   #12967
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wholesalestunna View Post
Tripwire by Lee Child. Working on reading my way through the Jack Reacher series
You have a lot of great books in front of you! Enjoy
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:59 PM   #12968
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool The Language of Bees, the Mary Russell series by Laurie R. King

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Wow!! The Game was fantastic. I'm now beginning book 8, Locked rooms.
This series has become my second favorite series ever! Locked Rooms was great! Engaging and exciting to the last page! Now, with high expectations, I'll begin The Language of Bees, book 9 in the series.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:08 AM   #12969
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished Last Car to Elysian Fields by James Lee Burke. Good read!

Next up, Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:17 AM   #12970
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just finished "Migration" by James P. Hogan (Baen). Hogan is one of my favourite "hard SF" authors, but I was disappointed by this one. It's set on board a "generation starship" and it's a decent enough story, but it basically doesn't go anywhere - it just stops more or less in mid-story. It's crying out for a sequel, but I don't think Hogan wrote one.

I can't really recommend this one.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:12 AM   #12971
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

So I just finished reading Walkabout by James Vance Marshall. I have seen the film of the same title several times, but until the book recently became available through the FLP I was not even aware that the book existed. So I was very curious to see what new perspective the book could provide on that excellent film. The book was very different than the film and in my opinion very dated by racial views at the time (1959) it was written. At the time though it was probably enlightened. Now I want to see the film again. I must request it from my library.

So this led me to wondering if one of my other favorite independent films from Australia, The Chant of Jimmy Blacksmith, was based on a book as well. Sure enough though unfortunately no available as an ebook. So while waiting for the request for that book to be filled at my local library I decided to read Before Adam by Jack London, a short novel that seems like it will be out of the usual for London.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:37 AM   #12972
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
ATime for something quicker and lighter: The Unwelcome Warlock by Lawrence Watt-Evans
Delightful. A very good continuation of the Ethshar series

Next: Tales of Ethshar by Lawrence Watt-Evans.

A collection of the various short stories Lawrence Watt-Evans has written that are set in the world of Ethshar. It's good fun so far.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:16 PM   #12973
tecweston
Comic book artist

Just Finished:

- Chronicles of Sherlock Holmes by David B. Beckwith - I give this collection a B+. The stories were just okay, without any stand-out great ones. Now for some classic Holmes before getting into book two of the Mary Russell series.

Currently Reading:

- The Rook by Daniel O'Malley (30%)

- Moby-Dick, or The Whale by Herman Melville (21%)

- The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (second time) (17%)

Old 04-21-2012, 11:31 PM   #12974
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I've taken a few sharp turns with my reading lately. Just finished Going Bovine by Libba Bray for a bookclub. A wild romp through the imagination of a teenage boy with mad cow disease.

Now I'm reading Josephine Tey's Daughter of Time which has been on my must read list for a while. It's a wonderful unravelling of the treachery (or not) of Richard III by a laid up Scotland Yard detective. I'm savouring it like a VSOP brandy. Speaking of which, I should get myself a glass.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:05 AM   #12975
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Mary Russell series by Laurie R. King

Quote:
....Now for some classic Holmes before getting into book two of the Mary Russell series.....
If you haven't yet read the novella, Beekeeping for Beginners, I recommend you do so before going to book 2. It's about the same events as were in a portion of The Beekeeper's Apprentice, but related from Holmes' point of view. It's $.99 at Amazon (and I imagine from elsewhere as well).

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote