Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-26-2012, 04:25 PM   #31
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
When you plug in a kindle in fastboot mode, it shows up as a device with USB VID/PID 0x1949/0xD0D0. Also, the fastboot program should report its serial number when you do "fastboot getvar serial". If using linux fastboot, you need to run it as root.
For people using a Linux host, we could post a set of custom udev rules that would assign a distinctive (of mode kindle is in) name in /dev.

Maybe: /dev/USBfbt, /dev/USBdiag, etc.

Would this be any advantage to the new user of the de-bricking tools or just another complication?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:17 PM   #32
mcp1999
mcp1999 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Ok. So setting fastboot mode from the diags menu seems to work. On my mac I now have the device showing as 0x1949/0xD0D0.

I have downloaded android-sdk_r17-macosx.zip and ran the android program within to install platform-tools, which contains the fastboot program.

In the dir of the fastboot program I do 'sudo ./fastboot getvar serial' which just sits at <waiting for devices>.

What am I doing wrong?!

Thanks!
mcp1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:32 PM   #33
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcp1999 View Post
Ok. So setting fastboot mode from the diags menu seems to work. On my mac I now have the device showing as 0x1949/0xD0D0.

I have downloaded android-sdk_r17-macosx.zip and ran the android program within to install platform-tools, which contains the fastboot program.

In the dir of the fastboot program I do 'sudo ./fastboot getvar serial' which just sits at <waiting for devices>.

What am I doing wrong?!

Thanks!
On other O.S.s that is usually an indication of missing usb library file(s).

Check if that fastboot is dynamically linked, and if so, look for the library files it references in that same *-macosx.zip.
Move those to their "usual place" - whatever that is on MacOSx.

That sdk zip file may have some 'readme' documents that describe what needs to be done to "install" the sdk or even an installer script that would handle the above details.

Sorry that I have to be so general above, I don't have anything Mac OSx, the above is just general *nix hints.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:41 PM   #34
hostar
Zealot
hostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 4 non-touch
Quote:

What am I doing wrong?!
knc1: android fastboot doesn't work on Kindle

mcp1999: You downloaded wrong fastboot. Download yifanlu's.

But you need to compile this because I couldn't find any binary and I haven't MAC. Also I don't know, how is it with USB drivers on MAC, because for example Linux doesn't need any.

If you have bootcamp or what's the name for "Windows on MAC", you can download fastboot for Windows, which can be found on this forum.

Last edited by hostar; 03-27-2012 at 05:44 PM.
hostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:59 PM   #35
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hostar View Post
knc1: android fastboot doesn't work on Kindle

mcp1999: You downloaded wrong fastboot. Download yifanlu's.

But you need to compile this because I couldn't find any binary and I haven't MAC. Also I don't know, how is it with USB drivers on MAC, because for example Linux doesn't need any.
That is correct. We have downloadable binaries for linux, and for native windows (with libusb-win32 drivers).

The README with yifanlu's kindle-fastboot shows the command needed to build it for the Mac (which is what he used). I do not have a Mac or I would build it myself.

Would somebody please post a Mac binary so we can add it to the first post in the "Select Boot" thread along with the linux and win32 versions now posted there?

Thanks.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:35 PM   #36
mcp1999

Good grief. I have a working Kindle!

It was very simple to do once I had Yifanlu's fastboot and followed instructions in the "simple kindle touch debricking method" thread.

FYI. I did this all using OSX with a virtual Windows XP machine in VirtualBox for the MfgTool.exe. One thing I found useful was to put the Kindle into diags mode using the XP machine. Then you can unplug and plug the Kindle into whatever machine you want and it will stay in diags mode. THEN, when you have it in the machine that you want it, put it into fastboot mode using the Kindle diag options D then F.

Also, instead of "sudo ifconfig usb0 192.168.15.201" I had to do "sudo ifconfig en8 192.168.15.201". I found this, and generally checked on the status of the mounted Kindle, in the "->About This Mac->More Info...->System Report" page.

Thanks to all, especially to geekmaster for your help. I feel like I may even have learnt something on this little journey ;-)
Old 03-31-2012, 07:41 PM   #37
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
One thing I found useful was to put the Kindle into diags mode using the XP machine. Then you can unplug and plug the Kindle into whatever machine you want and it will stay in diags mode. THEN, when you have it in the machine that you want it, put it into fastboot mode using the Kindle diag options D then F.
That is an excellent point. I knew this information and I have suggested it as options for some users, but I did not realize until you pointed it out that this is a simple way prevent the kindle from dropping out of fastboot mode when changing host PCs. It makes perfect sense. Just do "fastboot setvar bootmode diags" from fastboot, then from diags used the fastboot exit option to SAVE fastboot mode so it will work with any fastboot.

That should be added to the first post of the "simple debricking" thread.

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-31-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:09 PM   #38
hostar
Zealot
hostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 4 non-touch
Today I have got to one MAC. In attachment is binary for MAC.
Tested with getvar and setvar.
I haven't tested flashing, but yifanlu wrote to README instructions to compiling for MAC, so I believe it will work too.
Attached Files
File Type: zip fastboot_mac.zip (9.7 KB, 1594 views)
hostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:43 PM   #39
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostar View Post
Today I have got to one MAC. In attachment is binary for MAC.
Tested with getvar and setvar.
I haven't tested flashing, but yifanlu wrote to README instructions to compiling for MAC, so I believe it will work too.
I linked your post to the first posts in the "Select Boot" and "Simple Debricking" threads.

Thanks!
Old 04-25-2012, 04:48 PM   #40
mcp1999

Hi. I have a minor problem with my previously bricked Kindle Touch.

If I go to Menu->Restart it shuts down as expected but freezes at the starting up page. The only way I can get it to boot again is via MfgTool.

Have you come across this before? Know why it is? It has spanned the original 5.0.0 software and the 5.1.0 update.

Thanks
Old 04-25-2012, 04:54 PM   #41
geekmaster

Quote:

If I go to Menu->Restart it shuts down as expected but freezes at the starting up page. The only way I can get it to boot again is via MfgTool.

Have you come across this before? Know why it is? It has spanned the original 5.0.0 software and the 5.1.0 update.

Thanks
You may need to clear out your /var/local partition by zeroing mmcblk0p3, or you might need to set your idme bootmode var to main. It is possible that the "lockup" is actually booting to fastboot mode. If fastboot can see it, you can do "fastboot setvar bootmode main". Or in diags ssh, you can do "idme -d --bootmode main;rm /mnt/us/ENABLE_DIAGS;reboot".

I would try the bootmode var first, then if necessary, zeroing the /var/local partition, in that order.

Good luck.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:55 PM   #42
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:

Thanks
may help: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=101
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:57 PM   #43
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
Ha! I beat you! But your link provides additional useful information, so thanks!
Old 04-25-2012, 05:07 PM   #44
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Ha! I beat you!
next time I will

Quote:
But your link provides additional useful information, so thanks!
it certainly does:
Quote:
The information provided above is duplicated multiple times in this forum, and once again here.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:14 PM   #45
mcp1999

Sh*t. I did 'fastboot setvar bootmode main' and seem to have rebricked it.

I'm back at the YKNR screen...