Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-23-2011, 12:52 AM   #541
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Does it count for you, personally? There is nobody else to whom you need to justify your count :-) This is supposed to be fun personal challenge, above all.

Last edited by rogue_librarian; 07-23-2011 at 02:40 PM.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:06 AM   #542
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Does it count if you read a book twice in the same year? There are 2 books that I read a few months ago that I would like to read again before the end of the year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
Does it count for you, personally? There is nobody else you need to justify your count :-) This is supposed to be fun personal challenge, above all.
Agree. I don't see why it shouldn't count.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:24 PM   #543
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I personally think that it should count, and it is all up to you whether or not you want to count it or not, after all!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:50 PM   #544
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Good point, all.

Thanks Latinandgreek, Orlok & Rogue.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:12 PM   #545
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I personally think that it should count, and it is all up to you whether or not you want to count it or not, after all!
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:30 PM   #546
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It counts if you want it to count and not if you don't.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:46 AM   #547
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

We have another challenge up in the GR MobileRead Group! http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...tion-challenge

TBR Mountain Decimation Challenge

Decimate
1: to select by lot and kill every tenth man of
2: to exact a tax of 10 percent from [poor as a decimated Cavalier — John Dryden]
3a : to reduce drastically especially in number [cholera decimated the population]
3b : to cause great destruction or harm to [firebombs decimated the city] [an industry decimated by recession]

It has become apparent that there are those of us who have a small addiction…to books. Our "To Be Read" lists have become so mind boggling, life expectancy defying-ly huge that we have ceased to call them lists and have dubbed them mountains. We haven’t yet met a library we didn’t like while simultaneously spending every free dime on books.

Take me for example:
TBR Owned: 125
TBR: 223
Total: 348

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a problem.

Thus I suggest to you the TBR Mountain Decimation Challenge. There two parts to this challenge.

The first challenge is to read at least 1 out of every 10 books on your TBR Mountain. If you have library books, you have to read those first.

The second (and possibly hardest) part of the challenge is to not buy any books if you don’t read X number of books first. You choose the number, but in order to be sporting it really should be more than a 2:1 ratio. For example, I will purchase 1 book for every 6 books I read.

So, who’s interested in trying to decimate some of those TBR Mountains?!
Old 07-31-2011, 04:00 AM   #548
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
The first challenge is to read at least 1 out of every 10 books on your TBR Mountain. If you have library books, you have to read those first.

The second (and possibly hardest) part of the challenge is to not buy any books if you don’t read X number of books first. You choose the number, but in order to be sporting it really should be more than a 2:1 ratio. For example, I will purchase 1 book for every 6 books I read.

So, who’s interested in trying to decimate some of those TBR Mountains?!
The first part is easy. My TBR pile is about 420 ebooks. I've read 127 ebooks this year so far.

Unfortunately, the second part isn't so easy. I've bought 173 ebooks this year so far.

I started a thread to help me (& others) with the second part — feel free to join in. I managed to buy only 15 ebooks since starting the thread. It's now 13 days since I last bought an ebook.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:03 AM   #549
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I have to pass on this challenge.

I don't really have a TBR list. I just have a lot of books I intend to read someday.

As far as limiting buying, nope, no way, no how. the best thing about having an e-reader is that I don't have to limit my book buying--I previously had to be a lot more selective because of space considerations. Now I don't need to worry about that and can buy whatever the budget will allow.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:43 AM   #550
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've broken that challenge just into how much un-read purchased (cost me something other than download time) books lying around e or p or whatever. Right now it's not too bad, but I've only had the e-reader for about two months. Unread titles is 4 or 5 right now, but I've got a plan to get rid of all of that this year. Maybe. If I don't buy anything else. As far as 100 books in 2011. Never going to happen. It's still a goal, but 2 books let alone 8 a month is a lot for me to get through.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:26 AM   #551
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How does one create a proper challenge on GoodReads? I am part of the 2011 reading challenge. But can this be turned into a proper challenge?
Old 07-31-2011, 01:33 PM   #552
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How does one create a proper challenge on GoodReads? I am part of the 2011 reading challenge. But can this be turned into a proper challenge?
What do you mean by a proper challenge? You mean with a widget or something?
Old 07-31-2011, 02:08 PM   #553
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
What do you mean by a proper challenge? You mean with a widget or something?
Like the 2011 reading challenge.

http://www.goodreads.com/challenges/...ding-challenge
Old 07-31-2011, 02:55 PM   #554
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...

Quote:
I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to start. I can barely remember how I joined the current reading challenge.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:28 PM   #555
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Quote:
I think those can only be started by GoodReads staff. I would suggest that you ask one of the mods over there.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a terminator production