Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-16-2011, 12:23 AM   #1
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Talking iBooks love it or leave it

This thread is for all you die-hard iBooks haters

So it looks like Apple has found a niche that was missing in ePub e-Books.

By adding features to it's iBooks ePub reader that is entirely unique to iBooks for iPad, iPhone and iTouch, Apple have provided the kind of features that many like me have been asking for and about in this forum.

Do you think that getting all the stake holders of the ePub standard to agree to additional spec's is even feasible?

Now the barn door is wide open and the horse has bolted. The game's on and when the Android tablets become more common will there be similar Apps for ePub die-hards to worry about?

Or . . . . has Apple already started an Android version of iBooks
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:00 AM   #2
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
By adding features to it's iBooks ePub reader that is entirely unique to iBooks for iPad, iPhone and iTouch, Apple have provided the kind of features that many like me have been asking for and about in this forum.

Do you think that getting all the stake holders of the ePub standard to agree to additional spec's is even feasible?
I think the main issue is that Apple is ignoring The ePub standard set by IDPF, which they are a member of.

For example. Try getting sans-serif font to appear within <p>, <div> and <span> tags...you can't, because Apple have refused to implement it for some reason only known to Apple. Sans-Serif font display is a major part of books I convert. which become a nightmare having to do the hack workaround just on the off chance people want to read them via iBooks...

To call it insane is an understatement.
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2011, 03:23 AM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I do not mind that Apple adds features to an open standard, but in my mind that leaves them with two options.
1. fork the standard and call it differently
2. apply for the changes to be incorporated in the official standard.

The main problem will be, that when someone buys an epub, they expect it to run on their reader which supports epub. Which won't do, because it isn't an epub. People will blame their reader instead of Apple.
If they go for route 2, they should withhold their adaptions untill it is approved.

However, Apple will not do both, since they are not interested in open standards. They say it is for the users, but it is actually just to make more money to keep everything closed.

I don't have a problem with the added features, I have a problem with the policy Apple follows...

Apple will not create an Android version. For them there is only one platform, IOS.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:48 AM   #4
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Adjust.....Insane....an understatement. Just might be a little bit strong mate.
I think self centered, self serving arseholes having to compete with other SCSSA's call for a bit of biff not insanity.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:00 AM   #5
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Leaving personal opinion aside I would personally like to see apple make their wares available in epub format. I have a list of approximatly five electronic stores that I buy books from in epub format for my non-apple reader and I would like to add apple to that list. My reasoning is simple, more electronic stores means more likelyhood that I will be able to get the books that I want.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2011, 08:09 AM   #6
wannabee
Media Bloke

They're not interested in making content. Just facilitating it. And ensuring they get 30% of the profit.
Edit: i think, to buy from them would require some way to lock you in. Without an apple device they can't so they're not interested in you.

Last edited by wannabee; 02-16-2011 at 08:13 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:52 AM   #7
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Agree, Apple is worse than Microsoft in its IE days. I don't really mind closed-source, but I do mind that a company will do my thinking for me.

What really put me off, was during the iPhone 4 period. Where left-handed people were told to use their right hand to call, because it would be better. That for me was the drop. How dare they tell me to use my right hand by claiming its better just to covert a design flaw.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:12 AM   #8
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Here's Google's answer to Apple's latest move: http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/02/google-one-pass/. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:22 PM   #9
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
I do not mind that Apple adds features to an open standard, but in my mind that leaves them with two options.
1. fork the standard and call it differently
2. apply for the changes to be incorporated in the official standard.

The main problem will be, that when someone buys an epub, they expect it to run on their reader which supports epub. Which won't do, because it isn't an epub. People will blame their reader instead of Apple.
If they go for route 2, they should withhold their adaptions untill it is approved.
bold marking is mine.

yes they should be forced to at least rename it as they clearly violate the standard. (again) In case someone's collecting sigs for an open letter complaint to the IDPF I'm in
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:31 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You see, book bought via iBooks have DRM that will not work on any other device/program. So, you know when you buy (really bad idea buying eBooks from Apple) an eBook from Apple via iBooks, it will work. And since the DRM cannot be stripped and the eBook moved to a different program/device, it really isn't an issue.

Besides, if you want your ePub to work, use txtr or Bluefire and it will work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:47 PM   #11
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
the DRM applied in the shop is not the point, since it is a post-production aspect
the point is they call it epub altough:
  • they reject standard conform i.e. valid epub files when submitted
  • they allow $_stuff inside their files (be it code or content) which is NOT supposed or expected to work in an epub file, as defined by said standard.

the point is: whatever datafiles are being used for iBooks, they are no epubs, thus there is neither reason nor justification in calling them this way.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:57 PM   #12
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Until the iBooks store comes up with better search and categories, it is a non-issue for me. I like iBooks for my ePub reader, but the books rarely come from Apple. The store is a useless mess.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:03 AM   #13
Toxaris
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You see, book bought via iBooks have DRM that will not work on any other device/program. So, you know when you buy (really bad idea buying eBooks from Apple) an eBook from Apple via iBooks, it will work. And since the DRM cannot be stripped and the eBook moved to a different program/device, it really isn't an issue.
You would think that... What about publishers who think they are making a good epub and decides also to sell it to others beside i*. In their minds it should work, it is an epub right?
How hard is it to change the e to an i. They do it for anything else.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:34 AM   #14
Dillinquent
eBook pro
Dillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toys

Device: PC, iPad, Kindle, Kindle Fire, Galaxy Ace
Apple are the new Microsoft.

What they are doing to ebooks now is exactly what M$ tried to do to the WWW in the 90s
Dillinquent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:30 PM   #15
Toxaris
Wizard

No, it is worse.