Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-27-2010, 10:48 AM   #1
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
DR-800 Review, Video, and Comparison

Hi everyone,

Just finished up the iRex DR-800SG review and got it posted on my website yesterday, along with a video review and comparison page with the Sony Daily Edition. I'll be adding more to the written review periodically as I learn more about the iRex, and I still need to try out Newspaper Direct. I'll be adding some more photos shortly too.

I've been reading some threads here and it sounds like some people don't get the green light when charging, but oddly I haven't had that issue; I've charged it twice so far and both times got the green light when finished.

The main glitch I'm experiencing is with PDB files from B&N. Apparently the iRex doesn't support B&N's new EPUB DRM yet so everything downloads in PDB format. But PDB take longer to load and say "counting pages" for several minutes where the page numbers should be. Turning pages takes 2-3 seconds while it's loading. After they've been open for a long time they seem to work a lot better and the page numbers show up but sometimes revert to counting pages again.

Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Last edited by The-eBook-Reader; 02-27-2010 at 07:22 PM.
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:08 AM   #2
MobileTechReview
eBook Reader Junkie
MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
So far most of the books I've downloaded to the nook are PDB as well. I'm not sure they're targeting the IREX for that format.
MobileTechReview is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2010, 11:50 AM   #3
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

I downloaded a few ebooks for the Nook last week when doing the review for it and they were in B&N's EPUB format. I transferred them to the DR-800 and they would not open; it gives a DRM error when trying to open them. But the 800 opens other Adobe EPUB just fine since I authorized the device.

So I went onto the B&N website using the 800 and went into my account and re-download the books but they all were PDB this time. They work, but not great. Certainly wouldn't want to pay good money for them.

Are your PDB ebooks working well on the iRex?
Old 02-27-2010, 12:16 PM   #4
MobileTechReview
eBook Reader Junkie
MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.

Guess it's a random thing as to whether one gets an ePUB book, I could go broke buying 'em just to try to get one The IREX doesn't yet support B&N ePUB- that's supposed to be coming in the April firmware I posted about.

My review on MobileTechReview pretty much covers everything that did and didn't work for me. There was nothing wrong with the PDB books themselves as far as I can tell, but the IREX could support more features when working with that format (like adding the find word feature supported in other formats). In fact, so could the nook! For example, the nook has 3 fonts but you can't change fonts in a PDB book. eReader/Peanut Press books work equally as well (or not well) on these readers.

Personally, I prefer ePUB-- it's well supported by a variety of readers, seems easier to parse and one gets the full set of reader features with ePUB vs. PDB.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:34 PM   #5
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileTechReview View Post
For example, the nook has 3 fonts but you can't change fonts in a PDB book.
I read your review (way to set the bar, btw!) and I meant to ask you about what you mentioned above. I don't have a lot of PDB ebooks on the Nook (about 10 or so, all from B&N) but I can change the font on all of them, just not to light classic. But Helvetica Neue and Amasis are both available.

That's not an option with yours?
Advert
Old 02-27-2010, 12:41 PM   #6
MobileTechReview
eBook Reader Junkie

I tried with 10 PDB books (both downloaded from B&N and eReader) and I have the usual option to change fonts but it doesn't actually change the font when I select a different font.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:34 PM   #7
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileTechReview View Post
I tried with 10 PDB books (both downloaded from B&N and eReader) and I have the usual option to change fonts but it doesn't actually change the font when I select a different font.
That's weird, but I guess it doesn't surprise me much at this point. Hopefully B&N will get everything switched to EPUB soon and the new Adobe update will come out and everything will be much less confusing.

Tags
irex dr-800