Notices

Old 06-06-2009, 06:31 AM   #1
pars_andy
Connoisseur
pars_andy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Failed Feed whilst downloading The Guardian

Hi,

I'm regularly running across failed feed errors when downloading the guardian. The news appears to download ok and automatically transfers to my 505. However, if I open up the contents page I sometimes find that one or two of them are highlighted as being failed feeds. Selecting them gives an 'ordinal not in range error'. This morning it was the 'money' and 'travel' sections which failed to download correctly. Downloading again can fix the problem but might result in another of the feeds encountering problems. Sometimes it works no problem.

Any ideas???
pars_andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:32 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Sounds like either the guardian server is having trouble or your internet connection is very slow. Can anyone else confirm this behavior?
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2009, 01:20 PM   #3
pars_andy
Connoisseur

I've only had my reader since Monday so I'm not sure if it's an intermittent problem. My connection speed should be fine though so I can't see it being that. Maybe something to do with the guardian server as you suggest.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:41 AM   #4
pars_andy
Connoisseur

Just a quick update. I downloaded the guardian again today and it contained the same two failed feeds as yesterday....money and travel. Not sure if this is significant or helpful but thought i'd post anyway.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:04 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just tried it, it worked for me. Are you running calibre on windows?
Advert
Old 06-07-2009, 12:49 PM   #6
pars_andy
Connoisseur

Yeah.....using Windows Vista. Here is the section of the log I feel relates to the error. I've just tried it another twice with the same results.

ob: Fetch news from The Guardian
DEBUG: Skipping article All today's business stories (Wed, 05 Dec, 2007 00:50) from feed Business as it is too old.

DEBUG: Skipping article All today's business stories (Wed, 05 Dec, 2007 00:50) from feed Business as it is too old.

ERROR: Failed feed: Money
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\web\feeds\news.pyo", line 993, in parse_feeds
File "calibre\web\feeds\__init__.pyo", line 272, in feed_from_xml
File "calibre\web\feeds\__init__.pyo", line 100, in populate_from_feed
File "calibre\web\feeds\__init__.pyo", line 154, in parse_article
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xb7 in position 1: ordinal not in range(128)
ERROR: Failed feed: Money
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xb7 in position 1: ordinal not in range(128)
DEBUG: Skipping article Turn heads with a wedding fascinator (Tue, 26 May, 2009 12:36) from feed Life & Style as it is too old.

DEBUG: Skipping article Turn heads with a wedding fascinator (Tue, 26 May, 2009 12:36) from feed Life & Style as it is too old.

ERROR: Failed feed: Travel
ERROR: Failed feed: Travel
Old 06-07-2009, 01:01 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Hmm ok I've implemented a possible fix for those errors, will be in the next release of calibre
Old 06-07-2009, 01:22 PM   #8
pars_andy
Connoisseur

That was quick. Many thanks!