Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-31-2012, 04:17 AM   #1
Chang
Connoisseur
Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: none
First thoughts on InDesign CS6 EPUB

I just tested InD CS6 and played around with EPUB export. There are still some features I miss from earlier versions but also some new nice features.

Let's start with pictures. I still miss the option to leave images as originals. This feature still existed in CS3 and CS4. Why InD has such an obsession to repack the images? Well, this was tolerable in CS5 but now they have made it again a bit harder. Before, I always kept images in the text flow (inside text frame) and images were exported almost unchanged. In InD CS5 I just unchecked "formatted" checkbox, nothing else and images maintained dimensios and so on, just got this _opt extension in file name. Now, all the images inside the text flow are formatted. Dimensions change no matter what. Only way to keep images almost unchanged is to keep them separately outside text frame and anchor them in the text flow. Well, just a new way how to put images in their places. Point is, still missing the option to leave images as originals.

Next thing are footnotes. Well, they were broken in InD CS5 but thanks to this script, it wasn't a problem. What I liked was that footnotes were collected at end of the whole book. In InD CS5.5 and CS6 you just have possibility to collect footnotes to end of the document/chapter or after the paragraph. I wish there would be possibility to have footnotes in the end of the whole book.

Document splits. I was furious when I saw they removed the possibility "use first level entries as chapter breaks" in InD CS5.5. Good that they brought this back in InD CS6. It's a different way to do it than in earlier InD CS versions, but good that you can have different paragraph styles to create document splits instead of just one paragraph style. Thank you for that!

Margin-top property in CSS styles is missing. I'm appaled by this. Am I doing something wrong or why I can't get it working. There are other margin properties (in pixels, not in em) but no margin-top property. If someone knows more about this, please tell me!

EPUB3 export. I didn't play much with this because I was more curious about how this new InD version will fit in our current EPUB production. Good that there is some progress in EPUB3 field. I guess it's a first tool that exports EPUB3 standarded books? Hope Sigil will support EPUB3 standard soon also. How there can be EPUB3 books if there aren't tools for mass production? (Yeah, I know we also need devices which support the standard too )

Have you tried InD CS6 and exported an EPUB? Share your thoughts!
Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:03 AM   #2
Chang
Connoisseur
Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Seems that leaving out margin-top property was intentional. Unbelievable! I asked about it in Adobe forums.
Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2012, 05:32 AM   #3
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chang View Post
Margin-top property in CSS styles is missing. I'm appaled by this. Am I doing something wrong or why I can't get it working. There are other margin properties (in pixels, not in em) but no margin-top property. If someone knows more about this, please tell me!
I did my first test today and am as appalled as you are...
I made an angry rant post in the Adobe forums...

Basically, The Margin top feature is killing me.

Here's what I wrote.

CS6…
Tried the epub output options based on chapter paragraph style.
I consider this broken although it finally splits the document.

I expected the .xhtml files to be named according to whatever was on the ChapterParagraph Style
Massively disappointed, no point using it. I'll go back to my apple script which splits and places in a book file

Capital letters in Stylesheet name no longer get converted to lowercase (spent 1/2 Hour working this one out) thanks very much.

Carriage returns are included…NOT COOL!!!

Changing the folder name from images to image…NOT COOL!!!

Margin-top missing after I got to the trouble of making correct ID stylesheets...

That's everything I've found so far...Mind you I haven't finished cleaning it out of uneeded crap...

I want my CS3 back...OMG what have I done.
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:25 PM   #4
Erin
eBook Developer
Erin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPad, Nook
Are you all also experiencing the change in special character code?

CS5.5-- extraneous spaces dropped, non-breaking spaces held as  
CS6-- extraneous spaces held as &-#-1-6-0-;, non-breaking spaces converted to &-#-1-6-0-; (please excuse the dashes, they are not actually in the code, just used them here to get it to process and not become and asterisk)

Also, images: if they are in the text flow, they are given a div class on top of being controlled by a img class frame AND I keep getting a space character ( * ) between my </span> and </p> which did not exist in the application file. This space is a nuisance, causing an entire blank page if the image preceding it is full-frame (esp. on Kindle.)

And I'm with you guys, how is taking away the margin-top property a feature? I'm really trying to figure out what they thought when this decision was made...

Lastly: I'm getting override code where there shouldn't be any. In my application file I have no local formatting at ALL, yet when I look at the files after export I'm having to clean up messy code that shouldn't exist in the first place! Two steps forward, one step back.

Last edited by Erin; 06-07-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:35 PM   #5
rosalinchen
rosalinchen began at the beginning.

be done
rosalinchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2012, 01:13 PM   #6
1olddragon
1olddragon began at the beginning.

Device: many
Glad to have some info on the issues with CS6. I just learned how to use CS5 for epubs so I don't think I will be making an upgrade anytime soon. Hopefully complaints will fix these issues.
1olddragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #7
Erin
eBook Developer
Erin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPad, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1olddragon View Post
Glad to have some info on the issues with CS6. I just learned how to use CS5 for epubs so I don't think I will be making an upgrade anytime soon. Hopefully complaints will fix these issues.
I would at least upgrade to CS5.5 if you're doing epubs. CS5 was miserable and full of more problems than 6.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #8
1olddragon
1olddragon began at the beginning.

Device: many
Thanks Erin but better the devil you know... I will jump to 6 when things settle down for that one.
1olddragon is offline   Reply With Quote