Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-23-2012, 01:53 PM   #1
vootie
vootie began at the beginning.

Device: none
Best software for proofing epubs?

Hi,

I have recently begun creating epubs using InDesign. I have been proofing these with ADE but it seems erratic. Is there something that's known to be a trusted proofer for epubs?

Thanks

Chris
vootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
There are two main validation tools. One it EpubCheck and the other is Flightcrew. Flightcrew is also built-in into Sigil.
In general Flightcrew/Sigil will give you better understandable error messages.

Be aware though. They will check whether your ePUB is structurally correct. That does not always mean that your ePUB will render as you would like. That depends on the reader application.

Another tools which is quite valuable, is the CSS validation tool. An error in the stylesheet will often result in the reader application completely ignoring the stylesheet.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #3
Keroberos
Zealot
Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini (4GB), Nook Classic wi-fi, iPod Touch (Bluefire Reader)
If I'm understanding the problem correctly, I think it's less a problem with ADE and more a issue with InDesign. Sounds like your formating the book in InDesign, exporting to ePub, then opening it in ADE, and the formatting you are seeing in ADE are not what you created in InDesign, correct? If so the problem is InDesign's ePub export cannot convert everything that you can do in InDesign to ePub. InDesign is great for creating fixed format publications (print/PDF), but will never be able to convert everything to ePub. The usual workflow with InDesign is to create your document, export to ePub, then use an ePub editor like Sigil to fix all the things that InDesign cannot convert correctly.
I don't know if there are any tutorials here on MobileRead or for free on the 'net on the process of doing this, but there are some good ones at lynda.com (unfortunatly they are not free).
Keroberos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:48 AM   #4
vootie
vootie began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you for both responses.

Yes, I understand that I can't go crazy in InDesign and hope to have it show up in an ePub, so I am being very conservative in the layout.

My question was really what application I should be checking it with before sending it off to BookBaby, not from a validation standpoint but from a formatting perspective. I found that ADE displayed some strange spacing between some paragraphs, while it looked fine in Sigil. And an Adobe tech went on record and said use "anything but" ADE to proof an ePub. Sounds like there is no definitive proofing tool.

Thanks for the CSS validation tool link, I wasn't aware of that. I can confirm that Lynda.com does indeed have one useful tutorial series devoted to creating ePubs with InDesign. Elizabeth Castro's From InDesign CS 5.5 to EPUB and Kindle is also very good.
vootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:48 AM   #5
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by vootie View Post
... I found that ADE displayed some strange spacing between some paragraphs, while it looked fine in Sigil. And an Adobe tech went on record and said use "anything but" ADE to proof an ePub. Sounds like there is no definitive proofing tool...
Correct, there is absolutely no definitive proofing tool for ePub.

The reason ADE is frequently recommended around here as one component in proofing is that it is the 800# Gorilla in the reader market. It is the software engine in most ereaders. If a book doesn't look good in ADE it won't look good on most ereaders in use today.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2012, 09:56 AM   #6
Keroberos
Zealot
Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool, it wasn't clear if you were tweaking in Sigil after creating in InDesign.

Quote:
"anything but" ADE...
Problem with that is if you're creating an ePub for anything other than iBooks or conversion to Kindle, it's most likely that the reader is going to be using an ADE engine, so ADE is what you would use for proofing.

With regards to the odd spacing, without seeing the underlying code I would guess there is something in the CSS that is not supported in ePub/ADE but works in Sigil's book view (Sigil's rendering engine supports things that are not in the ePub spec). You'll have to take a look at the code to see if you can find what's causing it.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:23 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
RE: the spacing issues... ADE is much less forgiving of simple CSS syntax errors than Sigil's renderer. Also, I believe extra <br />'s are ignored by ADE.

And as Keroberos said, don't trust Sigil's renderer to give you a reliable idea of how your epub will look on a device.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:48 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What I don't get is why people feel that using programs such as Sigil, The FF extension, Calibre's viewer are OK to use in place of ADE to check out their ePub. ADE is used by most readers and if they use ADE, then they will know better how it may look on a stand alone reader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:46 PM   #9
Keroberos
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What I don't get is why people feel that using programs such as Sigil, The FF extension, Calibre's viewer are OK to use in place of ADE to check out their ePub. ADE is used by most readers and if they use ADE, then they will know better how it may look on a stand alone reader.
Lack of knowledge, which is something that everyone has been guilty of at some point. Which I think is the whole point of having this forum, to help spread the knowledge that we all took the time to learn (sometimes the hard way) to those who aren't quite as far along as we are (I know I still have got a lot to learn). Plus many people expect their documents to look the same no matter what it's being viewed on, especially in publishing where WYSIWYG is almost a given. Unfortunately one of the problems I have with ePub is that so much the spec is optional (or outright ignored or broken) in the rendering engines, that it's impossible to know what something will look like in any specific reader just by looking at it in one.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:17 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I only use those as my first pass check.
If it looks wrong there, there is Zero chance it will look/behave better in ADE
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:08 PM   #11
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Keep in mind RMSDK version when thinking about previewing. ADE 1.7 uses a much older version of RMSDK - this will be equivalent to what the older Sony Readers (or Nook Classic) is using. ADE 1.8 (in labs.adobe.com) is using the current version of RMSDK. One of the big changes between the two versions is that a new text rendering engine was added, and the layout engine was tweaked accordingly (hyphenation was added for instance). For most content you will get a noticeable difference in results (and for some content there will be a dramatic difference).
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote