Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-11-2011, 04:17 AM   #1
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
kobo touch and overdrive library books

I have set up a link to my local library's overdrive collection on my kobo touch browser. This lets me browse and select new books to borrow.

But there appears to be no way to actually download them directly to the touch because you have to go through ADE and all you get from the library is the .ascm file. So you always need to plug into a PC and manage the books via ADE.

Is there anyway around this? I'd love to be able to browse and download library books directly.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:46 AM   #2
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Not that I'm aware, no.
molman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2011, 09:27 AM   #3
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Acer 200, Asus FHD, Kobo Touch
I don't think that you can download epubs directly since ADE looks after the borrowing part of checking out the books (love the returning early feature that ADE provides).
p_a_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:58 AM   #4
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
I think you ccan go as far as checking the books out to make sure you've got them, but you have to use ADE on a PC to actually download them and transfer them.

I doubt Kobo will be investing any effort to make borrowing books from the library as convenient as buying from the Kobo store.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:24 PM   #5
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJames View Post
I think you ccan go as far as checking the books out to make sure you've got them, but you have to use ADE on a PC to actually download them and transfer them.

I doubt Kobo will be investing any effort to make borrowing books from the library as convenient as buying from the Kobo store.
Never thought of it that way! You're right of course.

At least I can get to checkout stage anyway.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2011, 04:27 PM   #6
rjcroy
Bibliophile
rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kobo Touch
Yes, I wouldn't think you would be able to directly load Adobe Digital Edition secured ebooks without passing them first through ADE. And since ADE does not run on the Kobo, you will always need to pass it though another computer running ADE to load them onto the Kobo.

Maybe one day Adobe will code a version of ADE that works in the 'cloud', like the Kobo shop. That might make it easier!

Last edited by rjcroy; 08-11-2011 at 04:32 PM.
rjcroy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo touch, library books, overdrive