Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 01-27-2011, 08:59 PM   #1
skapsal
Edge User

Android Market

This may be another reason we really really want the update. I don't know if the telephony hardware is the only requirement we are not meeting?

This comes from: http://source.android.com/faqs.html

What does "compatibility" mean?
We define an "Android compatible" device as one that can run any application written by third-party developers using the Android SDK and NDK. We use this as a filter to separate devices that can participate in the Android app ecosystem, and those that cannot. Devices that are properly compatible can seek approval to use the Android trademark. Devices that are not compatible are merely derived from the Android source code and may not use the Android trademark.

In other words, compatibility is a prerequisite to participate in the Android apps ecosystem. Anyone is welcome to use the Android source code, but if the device isn't compatible, it's not considered part of the Android ecosystem.

What is the role of Android Market in compatibility?
Devices that are Android compatible may seek to license the Android Market client software. This allows them to become part of the Android app ecosystem, by allowing users to download developers' apps from a catalog shared by all compatible devices. This option isn't available to devices that aren't compatible.

What kinds of devices can be Android compatible?
The Android software can be ported to a lot of different kinds of devices, including some on which third-party apps won't run properly. The Android Compatibility Definition Document (CDD) spells out the specific device configurations that will be considered compatible.

For example, though the Android source code could be ported to run on a phone that doesn't have a camera, the CDD requires that in order to be compatible, all phones must have a camera. This allows developers to rely on a consistent set of capabilities when writing their apps.

The CDD will evolve over time to reflect market realities. For instance, the 1.6 CDD only allows cell phones, but the 2.1 CDD allows devices to omit telephony hardware, allowing for non-phone devices such as tablet-style music players to be compatible. As we make these changes, we will also augment Android Market to allow developers to retain control over where their apps are available. To continue the telephony example, an app that manages SMS text messages would not be useful on a media player, so Android Market allows the developer to restrict that app exclusively to phone devices.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:37 PM   #2
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Nice find, maybe Done or Snow will clarify?

Advert
Old 01-28-2011, 09:05 AM   #3
StevenP
Edge User

Good find!

Old 01-28-2011, 09:31 AM   #4
alefor
Edge User

I can only imagine that as Android tablets proliferate, the likelihood of access to the market will greatly increase. But for now, thats all just "hope".

Old 02-02-2011, 04:25 PM   #5
NiaTrue
Edge User

Wow! So Google has now widened accessibility of the market without actually increasing access to it. The market can now be accessed from the web, not just a device with the market app. the catch is that you have to register to the site using the google account used to set up your Android device (read: cell phone; no tablets with verified access yet, right?). From today’s L.A. Times: "Google ratchets up Apple rivalry with Android market, Honeycomb for tablets.

Last edited by NiaTrue; 02-02-2011 at 04:26 PM. Reason: font snafu

Advert
Old 02-02-2011, 06:38 PM   #6
skapsal
Edge User

I got your reply on my way home from work and promptly logged into market.android.com. Wow what a change, I couldactually see apps and there was even an install link...

rush home and try it from the edge...

first challenge was needing an https connection. builtin browser, no. dolphin browser, no. opera mini, yes ... find an app, try to install ...

NO LOVE. I could not get it to download an app.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:04 PM   #7
NiaTrue
Edge User

Yes, the change is a welcome one. I had no problem loading the page in Dolphin or the native browser. Though since we can't register our eDGes as Android devices, no way to download apps. I got an error message saying no download because I was accessing the market using an account with no Android device associated with it.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:16 PM   #8
Bigtop305
Edge User

It would not allow me to log in with the Edge at all since I have an account already and have my Phone on it. It only sees the handset from my PC and right now that I could see there is no way to add a device to your account other than to download a program to it, so yes a bit stymied, and a little let down, but not a deal breaker. I have to admit I have been using the AppBrain App for my phone which essentially does this very same thing, so while glad Google is getting busy, the functionality is not all that new. Except for in app purchasing..that IS a new one...not sure I want to let that one get out however...heh heh heh.

Oh yeah the link for those curious about the now redundant Appbrain: http://www.appbrain.com/ Also NO I NEVER purchased an app anywhere outside of my handset, I only used this app to manage, update, add new free apps, or update my existing paid ones.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:04 PM   #9
myst
Edge User

I do know that the Archos70 can access the web based one.