Notices

Old 11-22-2010, 02:33 AM   #1
Corrective
Enthusiast
Corrective began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, PRS-650
Screen protector interference?

Hi everyone,

The title pretty much says it all. I'm upgrading from 600 to 650. I was just wondering if the presence of a ZAGG screen protecter would interfere with the new touch screen technology.

Thanks!
Corrective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:31 AM   #2
cmdahler
Addict
cmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Short answer: no.

Bit of a longer answer: the touch function of these newer Sony readers does not use the surface of the glass to detect when you've touched it. Rather, these readers use a small array of infrared sensors around the perimeter of the screen. As your finger, or anything else, for that matter, moves toward the screen, these sensors will detect its presence and interpret that as a touch. With this method of touch detection, it is not even technically necessary for your finger to touch the glass. The sensors are small and not raised very much over the top of the glass, so you do have to get your finger or the stylus very close to the glass, but it will sense your finger about a millimeter or so above the surface. Consequently, you can put a screen protector on the glass without worrying about affecting the touch sensitivity of the device, with one caveat: you need to make sure that the edges of your protector don't peel slightly up, or those raised edges will get in the way of the sensor and all of a sudden your reader won't respond to any touches at all.
cmdahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2010, 05:23 AM   #3
Corrective
Enthusiast

actually i had a small inkling in how it was set up but i was worried that the emitters and sensors would be placed really really close to the surface, and my protector would block the grid by just being there.

thanks a bunch for clearing that up.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:03 AM   #4
cmdahler
Addict
cmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I'd think it would have to be a pretty thick sheet to start interfering with the sensor array. Of course, the nice thing about those protectors is that if it doesn't work, you can just peel it off and throw it away with no harm done (except the harm to your wallet). If I were going to do this, I'd get the cheapest cut-to-fit protector I could find and rough cut it and put it on the glass just to see if it works first before trying the expensive zagg product. Or you could just take a plain piece of paper or a transparency film for an overhead projector, both of which I'd imagine would certainly be thicker than a Zagg screen protector, cut a square out and lay it down on the touch surface to see if it interferes with the operation of the touch screen. If all is well with something that thick, then I'd say you're good to go on the actual protector sheet. You're just going to have to be real careful with how you shape the protector: if any of the edges start to curl up, even just barely, you'll run into all manner of problems. In the end, I expect you're going to find it's more trouble than it's worth, but that's JMHO. Good luck!
cmdahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:07 AM   #5
Corrective
Enthusiast

Indeed, everything you say is true. Fortunately I already bought a ZAGG equivalent screen protector for my PRS 600, so I'll be pasting that on and testing to see if it affects it at all.

Will post my results after I get my 650 in a few days.
Advert
Old 11-23-2010, 07:34 AM   #6
k.rad
k.rad began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdahler View Post
In the end, I expect you're going to find it's more trouble than it's worth, but that's JMHO. Good luck!
I agree. I've been using my 650 daily for a couple of months now and the screen is pretty durable as is (to an extent, of course). I probably treat mine worse than many do -- I only wipe down the screen once every couple of weeks if it's lucky -- and it's still pristine and scratch free. No way would I want some plastic film obscuring the clarity of the display.
k.rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:57 AM   #7
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.rad View Post
I agree. I've been using my 650 daily for a couple of months now and the screen is pretty durable as is (to an extent, of course). I probably treat mine worse than many do -- I only wipe down the screen once every couple of weeks if it's lucky -- and it's still pristine and scratch free. No way would I want some plastic film obscuring the clarity of the display.
I may have cleaned it twice... Once after a rather big cookie crumb fell on it (and started to change pages ) and once when I first got it...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 04:23 PM   #8
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrective View Post
... I was just wondering if the presence of a ZAGG screen protecter would interfere with the new touch screen technology ...
I would be more concerned about the screen protector interfering with the clarity of the E Ink Pearl display, or adding glare. The screen surface seems quite hard. It's designed to be used as a touch screen.
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:30 PM   #9
Corrective
Enthusiast

Ok, so I've installed my screen protector. A few things to keep in mind:

1. I used a wrapsol screen that was cut for the prs 600. the screen sizes are almost exactly the same but the body is built slightly different so that part can't be reused.

2. The protector itself got a bit stretched when I was peeling it off my 600, so that might be why it seemed a bit on the snug side when I put it onto the 650. On the 600, there was about a 1 - 2mm margin from the edges of the display. On the 650 it is pretty much flush.

Alright, so with that out of the way, my final thoughts on the whole thing is that installing the sheet properly does not in anyway obstruct the touchscreen grid. I've tried selecting and swiping in as many different places on the grid I could think of but still everything is working perfectly.

Neither does it interfere with the clarity of the display. I've even taken it outside and tried reading in the sunlight, and I have to say, the screen protector doesn't make it any more or less "glarey".

So overall, it looks perfect and I feel slightly better about keeping my reader safer (I'm slightly OCD about these things). Neither wrapsol or invisibleshield have a design cut for the 650 yet but unless you can afford it or are extra mindful of damage, like me, it's probably not a necessity anyway.

Well that's all, and I hoped this helped.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:35 AM   #10
caeebe
caeebe began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Touch PRS-650
Are there screen protectors made for Kindles or other 6in ereaders? How different in size are the screens for these different products? This is just a thought I had.
caeebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:46 PM   #11
Corrective
Enthusiast

As far as i'm aware there's only one (maybe 2) companies that supply the e-ink screens for all readers. So theoretically the dimensions should be the same.

EDIT: Also if you're interested I suggest googling "invisible shield ZAGG" or "wrapsol" and looking for your product. Those are the only two I know of but there may be more. But as I said earlier, they are a bit pricey despite their lifetime guarantee.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:35 AM   #12
caeebe
caeebe began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Touch PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrective View Post
Also if you're interested I suggest googling "invisible shield ZAGG" or "wrapsol" and looking for your product. Those are the only two I know of but there may be more. But as I said earlier, they are a bit pricey despite their lifetime guarantee.
I ended up emailing Zagg and Wrapsol to ask about the 650 or any of the new Sonys and both said they currently had no plans to make protectors but may in the future. I didn't realize that both of these companies actually make protectors for the whole body, not just the screen. I do think the screen portion could be used on the 650 though.
caeebe is offline   Reply With Quote