Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-11-2013, 10:02 PM   #1
specsavage
specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.specsavage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
The Great Furry Anti-Reading Conspiracy

It is a conspiracy.

I didn’t used to think so. It started so slowly, you see.

Sitting there, just reading the morning newspaper (dating myself, now), minding my own business. Suddenly…foom! A furry butt has landed in the center of my reading material, messing all the creases my butler has so thoughtfully ironed in. Okay, the butler thing is a lie, but still. Or it might be a studied slump onto my comic book, or a tail flicking thoughtlessly across the pages of my book—followed by a hiss when I quite naturally used it for a bookmark, or seeing fluttered pages as an invitation to attack. These scenes had filled my life.

Then, I got an e-reader. I thought I was home free—no more furry interference. That is, until this morning, when the current furry resident got caught doing an all-claws-out tapdance on my Kindle.

A conspiracy, I tell you! Cats are out to keep us less well-read! [P&R comment deleted by moderator.] Right?

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 02-12-2013 at 11:41 AM.
specsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:23 PM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
So did the fur fly when you saw kitty trying to figure out how to use the Kindle? lol.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2013, 02:03 AM   #3
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
I had a roommate whose cat would do that. Until the day he was reading a newspaper on the dining room table. You see, we were hosting a dinner party that evening, and the table needed to be expanded with the leaf in the middle. It had been pulled apart, but the leaf wasn't in yet. Kitty headed right for the middle of the paper, and dropped right through. Landed on his feet, with his best "I meant to do that" look, but he never went looking for attention that way again.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:18 AM   #4
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
My resident furballs mastered the page turn buttons on the K3 pretty much as soon as I got it ("Oooh what's that you're holding? Oooh it's new...quick Must.Rub.Head.Against.It") and I've also received feline assistance when reading on the PW. Lost count of the number of time my e-readers have been walked or slept on...
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:54 AM   #5
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
This thread is worthless without pics.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #6
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Reading Chair Occupation is a commonly employed tactic around these parts. If the reader gets up to make tea, further reading will be prevented by denying the reader the use of the seat.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:09 AM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't have any feline assistance.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:10 AM   #8
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Further proof (as if any was needed in light of the mass murder all cats seem to indulge in, mainly for fun), that cats are evil. Never mind terrorists/extremists, it's the cats who are out to take over the world!

soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:29 PM   #9
sharphamster
Anathema Device
sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T3/350, Kobo AuraH20/Mini, Axim X50v
Back in the day, I actually thought that the cats went for the newspaper while I read it on the floor because they like the crunchy sound it made under their feet. So wrong.

Now I know better - they LOVE inserting themselves between me and the screen of my laptop or my reader almost as much as they love chasing the laser pointer light.
sharphamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:52 PM   #10
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharphamster View Post
Now I know better - they LOVE inserting themselves between me and the screen of my laptop or my reader almost as much as they love chasing the laser pointer light.
Luckily, the only technology Lexie is interested is in is the motion sensor my father installed on the hall light last week. She walks into the hallway and light switches on, then she sits still for a couple of minutes until the light goes off and then she moves again to have it switch on again. However, she does like to rub her chin on the corner of my Oberon case when I'm reading.

Nikita quickly learned that sitting in front of my laptop screen would bring out a cat that hissed and snarled back at her when she did the same (webcam) and didn't do it anymore.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:53 PM   #11
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Back in the day, I actually thought that the cats went for the newspaper while I read it on the floor because they like the crunchy sound it made under their feet. So wrong.

My husband bought a laser light for my cat. He is no longer allowed to use it because it takes a minimum of 2 days for my poor cat to recover from trying to find that damn light. He will sit in the room for hours at a time and whip his head back and forth all over the place looking for it. He's absolutely obsessed! Any light that reflects off the walls or even the ceiling has him running for it. He's tried numerous times to jump at the ceiling using my head as leverage
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:56 PM   #12
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Lucky for you that patent 5443036 expired in 2007 for failure to pay maintenance fees.

http://www.google.com/patents/US5443036

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Method_of_exercising_a_cat
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #13
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
My husband bought a laser light for my cat. He is no longer allowed to use it because it takes a minimum of 2 days for my poor cat to recover from trying to find that damn light. He will sit in the room for hours at a time and whip his head back and forth all over the place looking for it. He's absolutely obsessed! Any light that reflects off the walls or even the ceiling has him running for it. He's tried numerous times to jump at the ceiling using my head as leverage
Poor kitty. I can just imagine how frantic he is.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #14
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
My tomcat found either out how to read or he just operates the touchscreen to make me angry.Yesterday I came home and my current book was on the last page, today the same.
Maybe I schould learn to switch it off and close it.

BTW, sitting on a sofa reading is the best way to learn all about the a..hole of the furry a..hole that owns you.

Dogs have masters, cats have servants!
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:18 PM   #15
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
All of my ereaders are in covers with a hand strap - so I can securely attach the reader to one hand, preventing those "accidental" pushes and falls from innocent cat feet, and freeing the other hand to deliver uninterrupted head pats to the most important beings in my life. It costs more, but the peace is worth it!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote