Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 12-09-2010, 10:50 PM   #1
keng2000
Edge User

Notion Ink ADAN started pre-order

One of new products, Notion Ink ADAM has announced pre-order to the world
http://notionink.com/

Let's see, it will come with 2.2 or 2.3 or 3.0 upgradable.
But most information is still in the fog, People said is it scam???

Old 12-09-2010, 11:41 PM   #2
Chubulor
Edge User

As a commenter at Android Police stated, if it's not a scam, they're doing their best to make it look like one. Or as CrunchGear put it:

Quote:
Once the pre-ordering started those lucky enough to get an email allowing them early access and a January 9th shipping date discovered a bunch of surprises. The website was often down. The storage size of the tablets weren’t listed. The shipping charge was $50. The original contact phone number was 1-800-123-4567. The original terms and conditioned included a 25% restocking fee and made buyers pay for shipping back to India. The 25% restocking fee was later removed, but replaced with 5% cancellation fee that would apply even if a person canceled their order before the Adam shipped. There was more!

Old 12-10-2010, 12:02 AM   #3
jsfiller
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubulor View Post
As a commenter at Android Police stated, if it's not a scam, they're doing their best to make it look like one. Or as CrunchGear put it:
ooooo, that isn't looking good. I wonder if an issue popped up with FCC approval?

Old 12-10-2010, 12:19 AM   #4
cheyennedonna
Edge User

What a mess the pre order has become, I was ready to order, but too many unanswered questions - including why are they charging your card at order instead of on the shipping date. Why would anyone want to "loan" a company $600 dollars for 2 months before the product is yours. And where is the product, no pictures no videos, not even any solid info on what you are ordering. I waited a year, I guess I'll wait until I see a real product.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:14 AM   #5
ShiningT1g3R
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyennedonna View Post
What a mess the pre order has become, I was ready to order, but too many unanswered questions - including why are they charging your card at order instead of on the shipping date. Why would anyone want to "loan" a company $600 dollars for 2 months before the product is yours. And where is the product, no pictures no videos, not even any solid info on what you are ordering. I waited a year, I guess I'll wait until I see a real product.
I'm with you on this one Cheyennedonna. I WAS really looking forward to getting an Adam for the Spring Semester at university, but as it looks now, I'll have to wait until the CES is over and Notion Ink finally comes out with what they want the Adam to actually be and where and when you can actually buy it.

Oh, and don't forget about the "Exo PC" from Exo (Canadian company). http://www.exopc.com I know, it's a shameless plug, but it's also another option over the Adam because it uses Windows 7.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:13 AM   #6
Hopi
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiningT1g3R View Post
I'm with you on this one Cheyennedonna. I WAS really looking forward to getting an Adam for the Spring Semester at university, but as it looks now, I'll have to wait until the CES is over and Notion Ink finally comes out with what they want the Adam to actually be and where and when you can actually buy it.

Oh, and don't forget about the "Exo PC" from Exo (Canadian company). http://www.exopc.com I know, it's a shameless plug, but it's also another option over the Adam because it uses Windows 7.
I agree. I've been keeping tabs on the development of this much-touted iPad rival. But I think I will wait for Eve before I start saving to buy any Notion ink product (a case of "once bitten twice shy")

BTW, this is the first time I came across Exo PC. Thanks for the link.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:35 AM   #7
Dr. T
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubulor View Post
Chubulor- It does my heart good to see that you're a hardcore cynic about all of these products and that it isn't just eDGe-specific. Your insight (as hard as it is to read sometimes ) is critical to helping all of us keep a balanced view of the information available about these devices. Thanks!

Old 12-10-2010, 11:37 AM   #8
ShiningT1g3R
Edge User

On the Notion Ink forums, Rohan (the guy who made the Adam) has specifically answered just about everyone's questions regarding whether or not the Adam is real or "vaporware". He's aware of what's going on, but you have to understand it from his perspective: he's an IT engineering guy entering the business world with a product he made to rival some of the biggest electronics companies in the world. Rohan and Notion Ink's business sense is questionable because they've never done anything like this before.

Remember, they're a small start-up company like a certain other company we are all familiar with and they are playing this by ear until significant business interest picks up and not just interest from the forum fans and "must have it now" tech lovers.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:07 PM   #9
NiaTrue
Edge User

I was hoping to get an Adam as a gift for my husband. So I'm back to either convincing him he needs an eDGe or waiting to see what RIM's Playbook holds in store. I'm kinda bummed about the Adam but completely out of love with it now.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:37 PM   #10
ShiningT1g3R
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiaTrue View Post
I was hoping to get an Adam as a gift for my husband. So I'm back to either convincing him he needs an eDGe or waiting to see what RIM's Playbook holds in store. I'm kinda bummed about the Adam but completely out of love with it now.
lol! It's not even on sale yet, nor has it been given to the media to look at and play with. Give it some time to actually BUILD a user-base and see how it performs rather than ride the "hype-roller coaster". I haven't given up on the Adam completely. If it has staying strength by the end of January, then I will most-likely purchase one.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:46 PM   #11
NiaTrue
Edge User

Quote:
lol! It's not even on sale yet, nor has it been given to the media to look at and play with. Give it some time to actually BUILD a user-base and see how it performs rather than ride the "hype-roller coaster". I haven't given up on the Adam completely. If it has staying strength by the end of January, then I will most-likely purchase one.
LOL! You must've been in your cave when He Who Shall Not Be Named and I had (yet another) blowout because I theorized that the much-wished-for Adam was becoming vaporware--and he thought I was being cynical. How's that for irony?

Old 12-10-2010, 01:08 PM   #12
aidren
Edge User

notionink.wordpress.com/

Interesting blog just put up by Rohan here. Sounds like he's not getting much rest :-)

Old 12-10-2010, 04:35 PM   #13
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Quote:
I am curious to know what you consider on sale is; if pre-ordering charged your credit card the moment of ordering, rather than a hold on funds until ship date, do you not consider that you have bought something? Possibly something that does not even exist yet; as FCC approval is not final, and something you will pay a 5% fee for canceling the preorder - no matter what your reasoning. At this point I consider the product on sale.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:47 PM   #14
StevenP
Edge User

If the credit card is charged then NI sold something.

Like anything in the tech business, though, give it a year and the Adam will begin to look dated as newer technology is released and promised. I guess I got the Edge for mostly utilitarian purposes. At least that keeps me from feeling like I got left with yesterday's technology.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:20 PM   #15
ShiningT1g3R
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyennedonna View Post
I am curious to know what you consider on sale is; if pre-ordering charged your credit card the moment of ordering, rather than a hold on funds until ship date, do you not consider that you have bought something? Possibly something that does not even exist yet; as FCC approval is not final, and something you will pay a 5% fee for canceling the preorder - no matter what your reasoning. At this point I consider the product on sale.
Darn, got me there! I'll let the business gurus deal with the technicalities of what a "sale" is; however, Cheyennedonna, don't worry: you're not buying a shiny brick shaped like an Ipad with a swivel camera. Rohan is aware of how BADLY the pre-order launch is going but he's not out to steal the money of thousands of people overnight to try to rival Bernie Madoff in terms of a clever-if-sickening scheme. Notion Ink WILL give you what you want when they feel it's best for them to give it to you (which requires smoothing out the technicalities with payment and shipping). Right now, the Adam is being shipped from China and will take around a month (2-4 weeks from January 9, 2011) to actually ship. Rohan and his team do not want to disappoint anyone with the Adam and how it's supposed to perform, but right now it's crunch time for him and Notion Ink because the fan forum faithful are getting hungry and desperate after waiting all year long.

Remember, some of the greatest inventions we have today came from someone's basement while they were in college living at home with their parents' basement with only a handful of money and a dream to change the world.