Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-03-2021, 04:46 PM   #1
denmarks
Enthusiast
denmarks began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
What I would like to see on the Kindle

My main pet peeve about the Kindle is not being able to automatically have author folders with books inserted automatically. If someone wanted to create other folders such to "to read" etc. they could add a shortcut. Further subfolders would also be great to separate by series. Within the series a sequence number should be included.
denmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 07:00 PM   #2
Breed92014
Enthusiast
Breed92014 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3
Backwards Search

I'd like to see my kindle do a backward search. For example, I run across a character as I am reading. I'd like to see the LAST reference to this character as I do my search. That way, I don't have to wade through hundreds of references to see what the character was last doing.
Breed92014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2021, 07:05 PM   #3
denmarks
Enthusiast
denmarks began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breed92014 View Post
I'd like to see my kindle do a backward search. For example, I run across a character as I am reading. I'd like to see the LAST reference to this character as I do my search. That way, I don't have to wade through hundreds of references to see what the character was last doing.
That's a good one. I get confused with characters sometimes and a search like that would be great.
denmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 10:35 PM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breed92014 View Post
If the character is in the Xray file for that book, you can use the Xray feature to find the previous mention.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 01:53 AM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Yes, I’ve been waiting for Author Grouping ever since Series Grouping arrived. Seems like it should be relatively simple to implement.

I would use Vocabulary Builder more if the word lists synced across devices (including Android/iOS). It should also have separate lists for each language, which would help with language learning as well as tracking unusual words.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2021, 11:29 AM   #6
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Yes, I’ve been waiting for Author Grouping ever since Series Grouping arrived. Seems like it should be relatively simple to implement.
... has series grouping arrived for everyone, or is it nationally-specific? My UK Oasis 3 still hasn't got it...
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 12:37 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
... has series grouping arrived for everyone, or is it nationally-specific? My UK Oasis 3 still hasn't got it...
You do need a recent firmware update, but beyond that, it also requires work on the storefront. Amazon.uk may not have completed the required work on that side. Perhaps another UK person can report on whether they are seeing it.
Old 08-04-2021, 04:31 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

For Kindle specifically, support for BT keyboards (and therefore remote page turn devices), so you can use it to turn pages and also type text.

For extra credit they could wire up hotkeys for Search, XRay, TOC, Home etc. (historical note: the 2nd and 3rd generation Kindles, with their hardware keyboard built-in, have hotkeys)

Last edited by tomsem; 08-04-2021 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-04-2021, 05:40 PM   #9
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by denmarks View Post
My main pet peeve about the Kindle is not being able to automatically have author folders with books inserted automatically. If someone wanted to create other folders such to "to read" etc. they could add a shortcut. Further subfolders would also be great to separate by series. Within the series a sequence number should be included.
Mine does automagically separate by series? In fact, it annoys the hell out of me.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 07:15 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Mine does automagically separate by series? In fact, it annoys the hell out of me.

Hitch
You can turn it off if you don’t like it (Home & Library settings).
Old 08-04-2021, 08:07 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Sadly when I dig down to Home & Library settings, all I see if Home Screen View.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 11:24 PM   #12
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Sadly when I dig down to Home & Library settings, all I see if Home Screen View.
That’s weird. Which Kindle do you have? Is it running latest firmware?
Old 08-05-2021, 09:23 AM   #13
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi:

Yes, I think I knew that, somewhere in the back of my brain. I find it aggravating because if you get a new book in a series, you cannot be sure (at least, in my experience) that it will show up as UNREAD in a noticeable place; it's kerplunked in with the others in the not-so-great 'stack'.

Hitch
Old 08-05-2021, 11:56 AM   #14
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

For the most part, I only keep one book in a Series downloaded (the one I want to read next). That way Downloads are not peppered with Series items, where these are not immediately accessible. Then, when I finish a series title, I download the next in series and remove the Read one.
Old 08-05-2021, 12:02 PM   #15
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
For the most part, I only keep one book in a Series downloaded (the one I want to read next). That way Downloads are not peppered with Series items, where these are not immediately accessible. Then, when I finish a series title, I download the next in series and remove the Read one.
Yes. I'm going to have to develop religion about housekeeping on my Kindle, no two ways about it.

Hitch

Tags
wishlist