Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-14-2010, 10:41 AM   #1
rxmom03
Addict
rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pixel 8, iPad Air, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Clara 2E
Converting to TXT

Sigh, I have a question concerning a previous problem I had that I thought was fixed. I have .RTF files that I am converting to .TXT and then downloading to calibre, converting to ePUB and then reading with Stanza. I had been using wordpad to convert them to .TXT (which worked wonderfully), but decided to try the ABC Amber Text program. I converted one file to txt (ascii--there were different txt choices), but when converting in calibre to ePUB, got the ? in the little squares--which I know means there is something that is not converting.

In my calibre settings, I do have input character coding as ascii--do I need to have something else there? Or something somewhere else? I haven't had this problem before using this program, so am at a loss as to what to do. I do have the version 0.7.18 of calibre--this is actually the first file I have tried to convert with this version (don;t know if that has anything to do with it or not).

I will say there are not as many ? in the file, so I think it is converting some--just not all. Thanks for your help!

Mary
rxmom03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:49 AM   #2
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Why are you converting them to text when Calibre already supports conversion of rtf files? By converting to text before epub you're adding extra steps and losing any formatting that may be in the rtf file...
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2010, 10:52 AM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
It may be an encoding problem but I am not enough of an expert to advise on that. However I am wondering why you need to convert to TXT at all. Why not just load the RTF into Calibre and convert to EPUB?

Last edited by jackie_w; 09-14-2010 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Oops - not quick enough
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:01 PM   #4
rxmom03
Addict
rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pixel 8, iPad Air, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Clara 2E
Well, because I had this problem https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...hlight=rxmom03

Maybe it was a one time problem? I will try again with a RTF file.

Mary
rxmom03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:39 PM   #5
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Do you have access to MSWord? If you have a misbehaving RTF you could try loading it into MSWord. Check that the "special" characters like curly quotes and m-dash look OK then SaveAs Webpage-filtered to produce an HTML file. You can then load this HTML file into Calibre for conversion.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2010, 08:43 PM   #6
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxmom03 View Post
...when converting in calibre to ePUB, got the ? in the little squares--which I know means there is something that is not converting.
This is a character encoding issue. Try cp1252 for the input encoding.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote