Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 05-20-2010, 01:22 PM   #1
joubert
joubert began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Images on Kindle; blank pages

Hi,

I'm creating a comic book. I'm authoring an .epub file, which I am then converting with Calibre.
Each page is an XHTML file that defines the image for that page using mark-up like so:

<body>
<svg width="100%" version="1.1" preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" height="100%" viewBox="0 0 449 649" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
<image width="449" height="649" xlink:href="../Images/0000000001_5fed8544-62e6-11df-9d38-080027ee35a0.jpg"></image>
</svg>
</body>

This renders beautifully on iPad, nook, Adobe Digital Editions, etc., but when I convert to .mobi for my Kindle, there is a blank page after each image. The images display just fine.

Any thoughts?

Joubert
joubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:43 PM   #2
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Just a thought, try to keep the size of the image between 480x622 (and scaled down proportionately to preserve your image's aspect ratio).

In your case try an image size of 430x622 and see it that makes a difference.

If that doesn't work, try 415x600 and increase the image size until you get the blank page again. Then that's your max. image size!

SOURCE: my PDFRead post here.

Last edited by nrapallo; 05-20-2010 at 05:10 PM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2010, 08:03 AM   #3
joubert
joubert began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hi,

Thanks for the response. I did a little experimentation - it does not seem to be the image size that is a problem. When I have a single XHTML file (instead of one for each page) which contains all the <svg> tags, then there are no blank pages between images when I view on my Kindle. Do you think the blank page issue is as a result of how ebook-convert converts the epub file to mobi, or do you think it is a Kindle bug?

Joubert
joubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 03:49 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by joubert View Post
Hi,

Thanks for the response. I did a little experimentation - it does not seem to be the image size that is a problem. When I have a single XHTML file (instead of one for each page) which contains all the <svg> tags, then there are no blank pages between images when I view on my Kindle. Do you think the blank page issue is as a result of how ebook-convert converts the epub file to mobi, or do you think it is a Kindle bug?

Joubert
I would think it is a conversion issue, since you state that you can create the desired result by using a different starting point (single file). Maybe calibre assumes that separate XHTML files implies separate chapters, hence it inserts a (extra?) page break? There are some ebook-convert options concerning structure detection, and specifically about chapter detection; perhaps you can use these to get the desired result directly, or maybe it is just a bug.

Can use Debug or verbose mode to get more information about what it is doing and/or possibly remove page breaks you don't want before final conversion to mobi (to work around a bug etc.).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blank, epub, images, mobi