Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-25-2009, 04:21 PM   #1
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
K1 owner, curious how to put K2 to sleep

My friend just got a K2 and I explained he did not have to turn it off, but just put it to sleep with ALT + Font keys. I guess that does not work for the K2, but is a menu item.

Which menu does this, and where can he find it?
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 05:35 PM   #2
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
You're right, that doesn't work on the K2. You have to momentarily slide the switch at the top to the right to toggle in and out of sleep mode.

Mike
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2009, 07:06 PM   #3
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
To expand on JMikeD's answer, sliding the "on/off" switch over does not actually turn it off it puts it to sleep.

Slide it over and hold it over for a few seconds (don't recall how many) in order to turn it off.

Slide it over and hold it for 30 seconds or so in order to reset it.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:29 PM   #4
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
About 4 seconds to turn it off. About 30 seconds to reset. And just sliding it over for a second or so puts it to sleep. I find I do have to make sure to slide it all the way over and hold it for a fraction of a second, though. If I don't hold it, maybe I don't slide it all the way to the stop? Anyway if I don't hold it sometimes it doesn't go to sleep.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:08 PM   #5
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsittingstill View Post
About 4 seconds to turn it off. About 30 seconds to reset. And just sliding it over for a second or so puts it to sleep. I find I do have to make sure to slide it all the way over and hold it for a fraction of a second, though. If I don't hold it, maybe I don't slide it all the way to the stop? Anyway if I don't hold it sometimes it doesn't go to sleep.
Well, now I wonder why in the world they did not just keep the Alt/font which was pretty easy to use. I guess, just like Microsoft, with every new Kindle, they just have to change some stuff just for the sake of change.

Anyway, thanks everybody for the info, which I emailed to my friend.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2009, 02:46 PM   #6
drzeller
drzeller has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PC, Windows Mobile Phones
Personally, I think the new method is more intuitive and it makes more sense. Many gadgets use the power switch different ways for sleep/off/reset. A unique (tot he Kindle) keystroke isn't the best approach (IMHO). Keeping something consistent between versions just for the sake of it doesn't make much sense.

D.
drzeller is offline   Reply With Quote