Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-02-2013, 09:15 PM   #16
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by spellbanisher View Post
I don't know really what happened with monitors and televisions, other than that two decades of deflationary conditions have made it difficult for Japanese manufacturers to compete with Korean manufacturers.
The Sony Story on TVs is well known: they misread the switch to digital TV.
Much as the other markets, they believed they knew better than everybody else.
While all their competitors realized that digital HDTV would need digital displays, Sony stayed with CRTs which, after all, worked beautifully for Japan's *analog* HDTV. Once it became clear that the market likes *big* HDTVs--bigger than CRT tech can deliver--Sony proceeded to bet on everything *except* what the market ended up choosing.They bet on plasma, they bet on LCD rear projection, they bet on LCOS rear projection and made a class-action lawsuit of a mess.
By the time they realized they needed large LCD panels *fast* the only way they could get them was either OEMing them or a coop venture. So they paid for half of Samsung's new factory for half the factory's output. After a couple years of trying to charge more than Samsung for same size TVs they found themselves unable to absorb their share of the plant's output and, bleeding red ink all over, they sold the plant to Samsung--at a discount, no less.
(All along, they produced amazing OLED tech demos and limited-run, ultrapriced large LCDs that sold by the hundreds.)

BTW, on gaming consoles, SONY has *almost* caught up to XBOX in lifetime sales...on the strength of a *massive* lead in the Japanese market. Outside japan, Sony has managed a distant third. And any day now, the PS3 will finally break even in lifecycle revenue. How that came to pass is a long, sordid story that could not have happened in any other company. Not even Olympus.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:02 PM   #17
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaCat View Post
I ran that paragraph through Google translate, this is what I got:

I'm assuming something got lost in translation, otherwise how could one switch to a lighted cover?
Try running it through Google again...
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2013, 11:28 PM   #18
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nihilism View Post
Try running it through Google again...
I ran the whole page; it also mentions lifting the back cover to insert a micro sd memory card, here's a link to the complete translated page.

http://www.google.com/translate?hl=e...ader-prs-t3%2F
MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:08 AM   #19
samy2
Ebook-Fan
samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersott View Post
very overpriced, in Europe near to 200€.
In Germany the price will be 139 Euro not 200 Euro, that's leaked. That will be just last year price without Cover, now with cover. That may be even overpriced, but its cheaper than the last T2.

Last edited by samy2; 09-03-2013 at 01:26 AM.
samy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:25 AM   #20
samy2
Ebook-Fan
samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
They did know what they had on their hands (PRS-500). In fact, this reader takes them back a good 5 years!!

I can understand if some are disappointed because the wanna frontlightt. But such statement is just stupid. The PRS T3 is very goog, it just miss the frontlight (if you wanna such thing) the rest is not better than Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura or Kindle Paperwhite.

The Sony Reader PRS T3 will be the lightest E-Reader on the World (lighter than the T2), 200 gramm with Cover (160 gramm without cover), is really amazing. And it seemed to have a special app for borrowing ebooks from the library, at least in spain.

All in All, your comparison to the PRS 500 is just stupid

Last edited by samy2; 09-03-2013 at 01:43 AM.
Advert
Old 09-03-2013, 01:49 AM   #21
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
I have a TRS 650, a T1 and a T2. I'm passing on this model.

I love my Kindle Paperwhite for the whole Amazon experience and I love the screen of my latest purchase a Kobo Aura (hate the Kobo experience).

I can't see that this latest Sony adds anything to the market.
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:27 AM   #22
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
Quote:
Originally Posted by samy2 View Post
In Germany the price will be 139 Euro not 200 Euro, that's leaked. That will be just last year price without Cover, now with cover. That may be even overpriced, but its cheaper than the last T2.
Ok, sorry for my mistake.

For 100€ I will could think buy it, but 139€ without lighted cover or frontlight... too much expensive, perhaps when price down...
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:50 AM   #23
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Ridiculous. Part of the fun of buying a new device is that it looks a bit more modern, has new features and that you can choose cover. I don't really see much difference between those 3 models.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:03 AM   #24
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by samy2 View Post
I can understand if some are disappointed because the wanna frontlightt. But such statement is just stupid. The PRS T3 is very goog, it just miss the frontlight (if you wanna such thing) the rest is not better than Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura or Kindle Paperwhite.

The Sony Reader PRS T3 will be the lightest E-Reader on the World (lighter than the T2), 200 gramm with Cover (160 gramm without cover), is really amazing. And it seemed to have a special app for borrowing ebooks from the library, at least in spain.

All in All, your comparison to the PRS 500 is just stupid
Perhaps instead of calling people's opinions stupid you could explain why the new T3 is superior to other readers. Just what exactly makes it superior? Because when it comes to specs it's certainly not superior. It hasn't even been released yet so I'm doubting you've had a chance to try out the software so it's impossible for you to know whether it's superior in that respect or not.

It's light, yes but it's only 13 grams lighter than a Paperwhite (you can't really talk about the weight without the cover since the cover is actually integrated with the reader). The new Kobo Aura is only 170g without a cover.
It does have physical buttons yes, that is a nice point.

So basically other than physical buttons the new Sony reader has no advantages over the new Kobo Aura or the 1 year old Kindle Paperweight.
Perhaps you'd like to explain a little bit more about how the new Sony is the best choice?
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:29 AM   #25
librista
librista can name that song in three noteslibrista can name that song in three noteslibrista can name that song in three noteslibrista can name that song in three noteslibrista can name that song in three noteslibrista can name that song in three noteslibrista can name that song in three noteslibrista can name that song in three noteslibrista can name that song in three noteslibrista can name that song in three noteslibrista can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3
Hi,

I'm the administrator of Librista.es and i have the PRS-T3 just right here. If you have any questions about the device, please ask. I 'll try to answer as soon as i can. Thanks.

(and sorry for my bad english, i'm from spain and don't speak english very well)
librista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:36 AM   #26
samy2
Ebook-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
It's light, yes but it's only 13 grams lighter than a Paperwhite (
Not really there will be a version without cover and 160 grams. Paperwhite it's 213 grams. That's 53 grams difference. Or 25 % lighter.

Last edited by samy2; 09-03-2013 at 04:40 AM.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:48 AM   #27
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by librista View Post
Hi,

I'm the administrator of Librista.es and i have the PRS-T3 just right here. If you have any questions about the device, please ask. I 'll try to answer as soon as i can. Thanks.

(and sorry for my bad english, i'm from spain and don't speak english very well)
Hello, can the cover be taken off easily?

Hola, ¿Se puede quitar la tapa facilmente?
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:53 AM   #28
librista
librista can name that song in three noteslibrista can name that song in three noteslibrista can name that song in three noteslibrista can name that song in three noteslibrista can name that song in three noteslibrista can name that song in three noteslibrista can name that song in three noteslibrista can name that song in three noteslibrista can name that song in three noteslibrista can name that song in three noteslibrista can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynton View Post
Hello, can the cover be taken off easily?

Hola, ¿Se puede quitar la tapa facilmente?
yes, it's really easy.
librista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:19 AM   #29
lems1995
Zealot
lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: sony prs-t2,prs-t3, onyx boox n96ml, maxcarta, Likebook Note+Mimas
Quote:
Originally Posted by librista View Post
Hi,

Is there epub3?
lems1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:40 AM   #30
samy2
Ebook-Fan

There are two versions right?
One without cover?