Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 05-14-2012, 10:57 AM   #421
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Thx folks for the support - sounds like we have a winner.

@theducks - the existing checks in this plugin define a "calibre cover" based on certain metadata being configured in the opf manifest. It has nothing to do with the actual source of the image, just purely about whether a calibre conversion has been done on that epub at some point resulting in the cover being identifiable in a specific way.

The new "Check replaceable cover" option changes this logic. Instead it is all about whether the cover image is defined in the epub in such a way that calibre "could" replace it. It is being done in exactly the same way as the actual calibre code does when you choose save to disk/send to device. So it should take the guesswork out of the lottery that takes place when you don't know if your library cover will "stick" in the epub or not, regardless of whether you have converted that epub with calibre in the past.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:39 AM   #422
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
@Kiwidude

for the info
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2012, 05:04 PM   #423
kiwidude
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

v1.8.1 Released

Changes in this release:
  • Add "Check replaceable cover" and "Check non-replaceable cover" checks to indicate whether a cover can be replaced when exported/using Modify ePub to update metadata
  • Remove the "Check inline Calibre cover" and "Check not inline Calibre cover" checks since replaceable cover checks are more useful
  • Improve the exception messages for invalid epubs to include the reason
Old 05-15-2012, 04:36 PM   #424
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
The new "Check replaceable cover" option changes this logic. Instead it is all about whether the cover image is defined in the epub in such a way that calibre "could" replace it. It is being done in exactly the same way as the actual calibre code does when you choose save to disk/send to device. So it should take the guesswork out of the lottery that takes place when you don't know if your library cover will "stick" in the epub or not, regardless of whether you have converted that epub with calibre in the past.
I've tried the new 'check non-replaceable cover' option. The results lead me to believe I don't really understand what conditions need to be met to make it 'non-replaceable'. Is it possible you could try and explain in simple(-ish) terms?

I'm guessing that one of them is absence of <meta name="cover" content="..." /> in the opf file.

Also is it a series of 'and' conditions or 'or' conditions.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:00 PM   #425
kiwidude

The reason why an epub's cover is not replaceable will be displayed in the log. It will usually be one of the following three messages:

No supported meta tag or non-xml cover
A cover must have a <meta name="cover" content="xxx/> defined in the opf manifest. Even if this tag is defined, the manifest item that it is linked to must be an image as defined by the media-type of the manifest item. It cannot be an xml file as some svg covers are.

DRM encrypted cover
If an epub has DRM encryption, and the encryption.xml file indicates that the encryption also applies to the cover image, then it cannot be replaced.

Invalid cover image extension
Looking at the filename extension of the image file itself, does it end in .jpg, .jpeg or .png, as these are the only image formats calibre's logic supports replacing.

In the case of the "Check non-replaceable covers", failing any of these conditions means the ePub will appear in the results.

In the case of "Check replaceable covers", it must pass all of these conditions to appear in the results.
Advert
Old 05-15-2012, 05:11 PM   #426
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
OK, thanks, I think I understand that. The few epubs I tried had the first error message.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:00 AM   #427
paulfiera
Addict
paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE, Kobo Libra H20
Strange sorting issue

@kiwidude: I am running the "Check broken images links" option and something seems to have changed in the latest version.

Previously, the log - which I save to a text file - used to be sorted in the same way I had sorted my library: by Authors, by Titles, and so on. Now the results are not sorted at all.

I'm using Library as scope.

Many thanks
paulfiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:48 AM   #428
kiwidude

@PaulFiera - No changes have been made to that logic in forever. There is no ordering applied to either the processing or the displaying of the results by this plugin.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:53 AM   #429
paulfiera
Addict
paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Quote:
@PaulFiera - No changes have been made to that logic in forever. There is no ordering applied to either the processing or the displaying of the results by this plugin.
Thanks, kiwidude.

I may have found the reason. I had excluded three books from this check because the referenced images are in svg format - "Images/page0129_0000.svg" - and even though the images exist in this format and are correctly displayed, they were flagged as broken links.

I removed the three books from the exclusions and now the sorting works as before.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:32 AM   #430
kiwidude

Ahhhh... now the penny drops. Yes I do some set operations if you have exclusions and that will "fiddle with" the ordering. I don't explicitly specify an ordering in this plugin, but it seems that one circumstance will "break" any ordering that was applied. I will see if I can find a better way of doing that so that such ordering is preserved.

Whats the deal with the .svg links that had you excluding them, that sounds like a possible bug? Any chance you can PM me a link to one of the books (or email me - my address is in the code)?
Old 05-16-2012, 12:03 PM   #431
paulfiera
Addict

PM sent
Old 05-16-2012, 03:00 PM   #432
kiwidude

v1.8.2 Released

Changes in this release:
  • Fix some casing of various menu items for consistency
  • Fix for "Check unused image files" to include svg and bmp files as a possible image type
  • Change the handling of exclusions to ensure that ordering of the books is preserved
  • Add a "Check clipping limit" option to the Check Mobi menu for files that are limited in the % of book that can be clipped on a Kindle
Old 05-17-2012, 02:28 AM   #433
paulfiera
Addict

Many thanks, kiwidude.

Working perfectly now
Old 05-17-2012, 11:27 AM   #434
paulfiera
Addict

Quote:
Changes in this release:
  • Add "Check replaceable cover" and "Check non-replaceable cover" checks to indicate whether a cover can be replaced when exported/using Modify ePub to update metadata
It may well be that I don't fully understand this option. Running it against my library with 4.080 books, it returns 3.966 matches for "Check replaceable cover".

What does this really mean? I've edited most of these books and the covers look OK to me. They are the covers I've chosen editing the metadata.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:33 AM   #435
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulfiera View Post
It may well be that I don't fully understand this option. Running it against my library with 4.080 books, it returns 3.966 matches for "Check replaceable cover".

What does this really mean? I've edited most of these books and the covers look OK to me. They are the covers I've chosen editing the metadata.
as I understand:
Those are the books that will GET the latest metadata cover when sent to a device. (you seem to have about 120 that won't)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote