Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-09-2011, 05:53 PM   #1
azsl1326
azsl1326 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
A few initial questions after rooting.

Hello All,

I just rooted my Nook Color 1.1 and found it rather easy as there were thankfully no issues. I followed the instructions from this video posted on youtube. After rooting I stumbled upon this site and have found it very helpful. I do have a question that I haven't been able to find the answer on this site:

I used auto-nooter-2.12.25 as opposed to auto-nooter 3. At the time I was unaware of version 3. What's the difference? Should I re-root using auto-nooter 3? Do I just put the auto-nooter 3 files on a micro card and repeat the same steps as before?

Thanks for the assistance.

Last edited by azsl1326; 03-10-2011 at 10:14 AM.
azsl1326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:34 PM   #2
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
IF you really were on B&N 1.1, then the original autonooter 2.12.25 WON'T work properly. However, there is a version of 2.12.25 that has been modified to root B&N 1.1. (it was put out in the "wild" and not given a newer version number. Laster version 3.0 of autonooter was released; but I don't think it was any different from the modified 2.12.25).

The best thing to do is try and see if you really are rooted (check for the Market, Youtube, Gmail etc). If you are, then I wouldn't change anything.

If you notice problems, then you can try autonooter 3; or you can take the 2 step -reset dance (8x reboot + wipe memory in settings); and then get your NookColor updated 1.1 and then use autonooter 3.

D
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2011, 07:32 PM   #3
azsl1326
azsl1326 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoraso View Post
IF you really were on B&N 1.1....
I am definitely on 1.1. I just got the Nook last week and that's the stock firmware that came with it. In regards to using autonooter 2.12.25, that's definitely the one I downloaded from the link posted in the video I watched. Perhaps it was the modified version. I was able to successfully root it as I now have full access to Android Market,etc.

I have done a lot of reading in the last 24hrs. and I guess my concern is that I didn't install CWR or back-up the stock ROM before I rooted. Right now I don't have plans to do anything else other than the root, so do I need to install CWR?

Thanks.
azsl1326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:36 PM   #4
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Nope, you don't need CWR, unless you want to trt flashing other roms, or some "hotfixes" that are flashed through clockwork, or if you want to do backups of your currently setup Nook Color (the biggest reason to do backups is IF you install CWR to start messing around with other ROMS).

If you want to do some backups of apps etc. but not a "complete" backup, you can use the Titanium backup app w/o needing CWR.

Also, one caution and further reason to avoid CWR unless you really want to start getting your hands dirty: there are numerous reports that CWR when flashed AFTER an update to 1.1 (rather than before the 1.1 update) CAN cause endless bootloops into CWR (it happened to me so I followed some of the other reports.) Supposedly a reboot after flashing CWR but before booting into CWR will prevent this, but I haven't tried it to see.
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote