Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-09-2011, 01:12 PM   #1
philandjan
Trainee Old Git
philandjan doesn't litterphilandjan doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Empty Books

I have just discovered the ability to turn Calibre into a book emanagement system rather than just an ebook management system by entering the details of my "paper" books into the library.

This is great because it enables me to dovetail the two different media. This is very handy where I have some series partially paper and partially ebook.

What I would like to do, though, is be able to differentiate between my paper books (which do not show as a format) from my database management errors (e.g. where I erroneously delete a format but not the book)

Is it possible to generate a format (e.g. "book" or "tree") that I can enter to show that I have set it up without accompanying files on purpose rather than by error?
philandjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:20 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Why not just add a tag (e.g. PAPER) to indicate books you have in paper format.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2011, 01:24 PM   #3
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
Create a dummy file called 'book.paper', then for any paper books, open the edit metadata window and drag n drop that 'book.paper' into the formats window, the 'paper' will appear as a format (but obviously you won't be able to convert it).
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:37 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by philandjan View Post
I have just discovered the ability to turn Calibre into a book emanagement system rather than just an ebook management system by entering the details of my "paper" books into the library.

This is great because it enables me to dovetail the two different media. This is very handy where I have some series partially paper and partially ebook.

What I would like to do, though, is be able to differentiate between my paper books (which do not show as a format) from my database management errors (e.g. where I erroneously delete a format but not the book)

Is it possible to generate a format (e.g. "book" or "tree") that I can enter to show that I have set it up without accompanying files on purpose rather than by error?
That is why I asked for for the ability to apply a tag in 'Add by ISBN' (it will be in addition to the default tag set in Preferences: Adding Books)
So, you have 2 ways to create a tag auto-magically
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:17 AM   #5
philandjan
Trainee Old Git
philandjan doesn't litterphilandjan doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkin View Post
Create a dummy file called 'book.paper', then for any paper books, open the edit metadata window and drag n drop that 'book.paper' into the formats window, the 'paper' will appear as a format (but obviously you won't be able to convert it).
Thanks for the advice, Perkin, but, at the risk of sounding thick (not too much of an effort I must admit!) where do I create this dummy file?
philandjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2011, 10:29 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philandjan View Post
Thanks for the advice, Perkin, but, at the risk of sounding thick (not too much of an effort I must admit!) where do I create this dummy file?
On your computer (desk top),
On the desktop (tho one on the screen )
Right-click: New... : Text Document (or similar name).
Now Right-click on the document: Rename: change it to read: "book.paper" (no quotes)
You can reuse this for every book added via the Metadata window (it would be a duplicate, if you tried via the main Library screen)
Old 03-10-2011, 12:06 PM   #7
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
On your computer (desk top),
On the desktop (tho one on the screen )
Right-click: New... : Text Document (or similar name).
Now Right-click on the document: Rename: change it to read: "book.paper" (no quotes)
You can reuse this for every book added via the Metadata window (it would be a duplicate, if you tried via the main Library screen)
Note that for this to work (at least on WinXP), you'll need to have file extensions displayed. Otherwise, you'll create a file called book.paper.txt
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:35 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Note that for this to work (at least on WinXP), you'll need to have file extensions displayed. Otherwise, you'll create a file called book.paper.txt
true
(I forget that. since the first thing I set is SHOW all Extensions to avoid downloaded files like IamMalware.txt.exe getting launched )
Old 03-11-2011, 06:03 PM   #9
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
With the new (7.49) version, you can select all (or groups of) your paper books entries and then select the dropdown arrow on 'Add Book', and select 'Add files to selected books', then 'Yes', then browse to and select your book.paper file, it will then get added to all the selected entries.
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote