Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-31-2010, 02:01 PM   #1
apheredia
apheredia began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-950
Can I send books to my prs 950 through wifi?

apheredia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:05 PM   #2
Abisha
Connoisseur
Abisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Unfortunately, no. Neither can you use the wifi to fetch epub books off the internet, e.g., Feedbooks, Gutenberg, etc. Everything is off limits. Sony has locked the device down. You may only download content through the ever-watchful-eye of the Sony eBook Store.

I/we can only hope and pray that down the road some of the community's talented Devs find a workaround.

Last edited by Abisha; 10-31-2010 at 06:21 PM.
Abisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:05 PM   #3
apheredia
apheredia began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-950
Thanks.
apheredia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:24 AM   #4
doctj
Enthusiast
doctj began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-950, HP Touchpad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abisha View Post
Unfortunately, no. Neither can you use the wifi to fetch epub books off the internet, e.g., Feedbooks, Gutenberg, etc. Everything is off limits. Sony has locked the device down. You may only download content through the ever-watchful-eye of the Sony eBook Store.

I/we can only hope and pray that down the road some of the community's talented Devs find a workaround.
It makes sense for Sony to allow that over wifi at least. It would give the device a competitive edge over other ebook readers.
doctj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:29 PM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
That's disappointing news. The ability to download from the internet is one of my favorite features on my Kindle. I was on vacation recently (with no laptop) and learned about a local author at a museum display. I used the hotel Wi-fi to navigate on my K3 to feedbooks.com and download one of her books and start reading it while on my trip. I was really hoping Sony would allow downloads using their browser too.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:32 PM   #6
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I was on vacation recently (with no laptop) and learned about a local author at a museum display. I used the hotel Wi-fi to navigate on my K3 to feedbooks.com and download one of her books and start reading it while on my trip. I was really hoping Sony would allow downloads using their browser too.
B, Perhaps the particular book was also available at Sony eReader Store in which case you should have the capability you desire.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:05 PM   #7
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the suggestion. It was available at the Sony store for a fee, but since it's in the public domain it was free at feedbooks. I have the PRS900 and find that I rarely access the Sony store with my ereader. I prefer to sideload. However I find the Internet download feature on my kindle to be very convenient. Some people even use it with file services like dropbox. I bought a Kindle for a family member last year because she doesn't have reliable computer access and needed the 3G wireless for book purchases. The Kindle browser download gives her more access to public domain books than the Kindle store. It would have been nice for Sony to include this feature too for competition.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:06 PM   #8
Abisha
Connoisseur
Abisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Quote:
That's disappointing news. The ability to download from the internet is one of my favorite features on my Kindle. I was on vacation recently (with no laptop) and learned about a local author at a museum display. I used the hotel Wi-fi to navigate on my K3 to feedbooks.com and download one of her books and start reading it while on my trip. I was really hoping Sony would allow downloads using their browser too.
I completely share your sentiment. I was completely dismayed when I went to feedbooks and tried download a PDF and then an EPUB and the Sony 950 rejected my request, stating that they were unsupported.
Abisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:54 AM   #9
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
B, Perhaps the particular book was also available at Sony eReader Store in which case you should have the capability you desire.
Good suggestion. Now that I've got my 950 in my hands, I see that you can download Google Books over Wi-Fi from the Sony Store. That's an improvement from my 900 reader. I prefer to use Google Books as a last resort since the formatting is not always that great. However, at least it is an option to access free public domain books when traveling. Unfortunately, Google Books did not have this particular book I was interested in, although the Sony Store had a pay-version.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:57 AM   #10
vnarra63
vnarra63 began at the beginning.

Device: sony ereader prs-950sc
Folks, I am new to the forum. I hope someone can help me here. I connect my prs-950 via wi-fi. I can browse the web (of course, i cannot download from the Internet). But my problem is, I cannot connect to SONY store. When I touch the 'Store', it gives me an error, saying my wireless settings should be set to on. I can brose the internet, why wouldn't it connec to the store? Please help. I am a new 950 owner.
vnarra63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:30 PM   #11
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Your profile doesn't say where you are located. Are you in the US? The Sony store only works in the US.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:03 AM   #12
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abisha View Post
Neither can you use the wifi to fetch epub books off the internet, e.g., Feedbooks, Gutenberg, etc.
Unless you use custom firmware, like PRS+.

Last edited by kartu; 04-05-2011 at 04:10 AM.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:25 AM   #13
simulacrum
Connoisseur
simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.

Device: PRS-950
Sony doesn't have a great history with open formats, especially when it's involved in content distribution. Their greed and obsession with proprietary formats killed any potential they had in the minidisc market back when minidisc was still a viable format. It caused them to get off to a very slow start in the mp3 player market (a travesty given the enviable branding they had as a reliable manufacturer of portable music players as a hangover from the walkman days). Hopefully they've learned their lesson and can provide more open firmware for their existing readers, or at least make their next generation of readers more open... But I'm not holding my breath
simulacrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:14 AM   #14
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. It was available at the Sony store for a fee, but since it's in the public domain it was free at feedbooks...
* The 950 can download over wifi from Google Books. Did you look for the title there? If you've updated the 950's firmware, Google Books is the first icon on the Applications tab, if you haven't updated, open the Store and look for the Google Books link right above the "Bestsellers" section.

As kartu mentioned, PRS+ enables downloading from the web browser. I installed it for that function alone, but I'm finding that PRS+ is full of useful features and enhancements. With the new (Windows-only) self-installer, it couldn't be easier.

Last edited by trekchick; 04-06-2011 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Disregard 1st paragraph. My attention isn't up to par before the caffeine kicks in.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:19 PM   #15
vnarra63
vnarra63 began at the beginning.

Device: sony ereader prs-950sc
Quote:
Your profile doesn't say where you are located. Are you in the US? The Sony store only works in the US.
I am in Michigan. Surprisingly, any website that requires a signon, it gives the same error. I am surprised that I can't go to SONY store without a signon using WiFi. The exact message is (whole screen is white and in the middle of the screen)
"The page cannot be displayed. A network error occured. Please check the following: 1) The device's 'WIRELESS' switch is in the 'ON' position. 2) The "Mobile Network/WiFi network setting in the 'wireless controls' screen is turned on."

Obviously, I am online because I can go to websites.

Last edited by vnarra63; 04-06-2011 at 06:26 PM.
vnarra63 is offline   Reply With Quote