Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-24-2006, 01:49 AM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Another NYT review of the Reader

It's definitely a hands-on review, though a rather negative one (i.e. with the focus on things that don't work so well).

Not paying enough attention to the iPod, for one thing. Compared with the elegance of that device, the Sony Reader, which I’ve been test-driving for the past month or so, is a pretty clunky piece of design. It’s small and lightweight — about the size and heft of a pocket notebook — and, in a quaint little nod to the antique technology, it comes housed in a leatherette cover that actually makes it look like a book. But once you flip open the cover, the controls to operate the thing are maddening.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/24/bo...gy&oref=slogin
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 04:05 AM   #2
William Moates
Zealot
William Moates began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Librie / Sony Clie / Sony Reader
These complaints could be filed against computer monitors, too:

The typeface is a computerized version of Courier and pleasingly readable, though when you blow it up to the largest of three available sizes, some awkward spaces and line breaks sometimes turn up. The type, which really does look like ink on paper, is at once the Reader’s second-best feature and a slightly disconcerting one, because every book looks exactly the same. ...

As you read along, moreover, it’s hard to know exactly where you are in a book. A little icon at the bottom of the screen tells you that you’re on Page 312 of 716 or whatever, but that’s not nearly as satisfying as being able to eyeball how many pages you have left, or even to feel your progress with your fingers. You can’t skim or flip through easily, though the Reader does have a bookmark feature, nor can you search or make notes. The whole experience is a little like floating through cyberspace.

The Reader is not a book, but a book is not a magazine, and a magazine is not a newspaper. Each medium provides a reading experience, but the reading experience varies. The laments he lists would also apply to newspapers. Do you eyeball your progress through a newspaper? (No, because it's a collection of articles, with the articles broken and scattered throughout.)
William Moates is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2006, 04:08 AM   #3
William Moates
Zealot
William Moates began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Librie / Sony Clie / Sony Reader
BTW, you can log into NYT and other sites with the help of
http://www.bugmenot.com
William Moates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 10:27 AM   #4
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I am enjoying my reader so much that I don't like to even think of reading a pbook again. So there ... NYT.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 01:07 PM   #5
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
I am enjoying this reader as well and don't have problems with it. I have never had anything else to read books other than computer program readers but that is different. Nothing hand held either and it works for me..... just what I wished for. And I don't require fancy and an overload of things on it, I just want to be able to read my books.
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2006, 03:15 PM   #6
dbunny
dbunny began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader PRS-500
If the book is engrossing enough, who cares what the medium is.
dbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 05:44 PM   #7
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

The medium can make a difference if it's in a format that's inconvenient to you at the particular moment. I remember I was somewhere and felt like reading something that was in e-format on a computer. Since I didn't have it, well, I couldn't read it. Of course, this isn't a failure or e-tomes, but I thought about it...
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote