Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-23-2006, 10:18 AM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Scripts to move comics to Iliad e-ink reader

iLiad owner "b_k" has created a Windows script for use with converting comics for reading on the iLiad.

Comic2iLiad "is a AutoIT-Script1) to generate HMTL-based content for the iRex iLiad. It is not a very small script and it is probably poorly written but it works. So far, it is good enough for me, however I’m always open for ideas to make this thing better."

There are some caveats, however. This script might not something that a computer newbie would want to use, and it looks like it's only for Windows. From the site:

* AutoIT has no UTF-8 support, so the HTML-pages are encoded in ANSI (should be no problem I think), as is the manifest.xml (this has to be converted to UTF-8 manually). So far, there is no sort of visualization of the on-going progress of the copied files or the generated HTML-files.

* The images you want to have processed should already be sorted by the filename. Something like YYYYMMDD.png or XXX.png (001.png, 002.png,....) should work. But there is nothing to sort the images before processing, it has to be done by yourself.

Thanks to Doctorow for bringing it to our attention in a forum post. (No, he's not "the" Cory Doctorow. Just a fan.)
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 11:53 AM   #2
b_k
Übernerd
b_k is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
I have another problem so far. Since iRex modified the usage of manifest.xml files I had problems with packages generated with that script.
Like I wrote in their bug-reporting section, I really have no idea, why the packages generated by that script don't work properly. I think it has something to do with the manifest.xml handling. I just can't figure out why it doesn't work. I compared the files I have, the working and the not working ones, and found no problems so far. From my point and the HowTo PDF, the files should be valid.
But the iLiad says me something else.

clarification: the problem, I and other users experience in v2.6.1 (and maybe already v2.6) of the iLiads software, is that the link between the pages works (=pageflipping with the flip-bar) but the page indicator doesn't work. The total number of pages is displayed, but the current page just sticks on number 1, independent, what page of the document I'm really on.

Last edited by b_k; 09-24-2006 at 06:54 AM. Reason: clarification of the problem
b_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2006, 06:04 AM   #3
lufee
lufee began at the beginning.

i am not sure whether the software worked and i will have a try then we will get the answer.
i like cartoon very much, you can also make a simple newspaper with the same software .
lufee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 10:37 AM   #4
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Posted link above is gone here. I get "Not Found The requested URL was not found on this server."
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 10:54 AM   #5
b_k
Übernerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokos
Posted link above is gone here. I get "Not Found The requested URL was not found on this server."
Sorry. Forgot to update that here. Somehow my host has gone.
Advert
Old 10-02-2006, 11:47 AM   #6
lufee
lufee began at the beginning.

could you send the link address to my address ?

lufee.wang@gmail.com

waiting for your reply ,thanks.
lufee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:51 AM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Um, lufee, it's a really bad idea to post your e-mail like that -- you probably ought to edit the post and remove it. Unless you want to get an ocean of spam, that is.

Check out the Private Message feature for that sort of thing, it offers much better privacy/protection.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:58 AM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
bk, you can attach it here if you like.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 12:09 PM   #9
b_k
Übernerd

man, totally forgot about that. I will do it, but i think i have some bugs here that have to be removed before i upload it. (you know, pageflipping works, but not the page-indicator)
Old 10-02-2006, 04:31 PM   #10
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_k
I have another problem so far. Since iRex modified the usage of manifest.xml files I had problems with packages generated with that script.
Like I wrote in their bug-reporting section, I really have no idea, why the packages generated by that script don't work properly. I think it has something to do with the manifest.xml handling.
I don't know if this is of any help to you, but my RSS tool "The Daily iLiadian" produces manifest.xml files to put a nice title on a feed and link to the index.html when you click on it. I've noticed that my iLiad will consistently not process the manifest.xml in some of my feeds (I carry 22 feeds now.)

The directory shows the naked name and when I click on it Content Lister shows the contents of the directory, including the manifest.xml file. If I click on the index.html file, all then works as it should.

I've inspected the manifest.xml's for the 3 feeds that malfunction and there's nothing wrong with those 3 files.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 04:33 PM   #11
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Um, lufee, it's a really bad idea to post your e-mail like that -- you probably ought to edit the post and remove it. Unless you want to get an ocean of spam, that is.
I've noticed the Google Mail SPAM filter works pretty well, lufee probably just doesn't worry about SPAM.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:37 PM   #12
b_k
Übernerd

According to iRex it seems to have something to do with the enconding of the manifest.xml.
But I really don't understand it till now. Those files that I made by hand, and with the help of a RegEx capable editor and a filemanager that can give you a list of the selected files to the clipboard, usually work. The scripted solution makes me headaches, because the files look the same, the page indicator shows the right total number of pages, but it doesn't recognize the position in the bundle, so it stays at 1 all the time.
But I can't see the difference. Maybe I should compare a working and a not working manifest with a hex editor.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:46 PM   #13
scotty1024
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_k
According to iRex it seems to have something to do with the enconding of the manifest.xml.
If you need help just toss me the two files via PM and I'll happily examine them for you. I do understand character set encodings.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:23 AM   #14
b_k
Übernerd

Somehow I think the iLiad just doesn't interpret the manifest.xml correct. I tried around with some of my script-generated bundles and can only repeat the following symptoms:
  • Page-indicator shows correct total of pages
  • Link between the number in the page-indicator and the url in the manifest.xml works
  • Link between the pages works (pageflip-bar, but this is controlled by the <link rel="prev/next" ...> in the individual pages)
  • Current page number is not displayed correctly, but stays at 1

Last edited by b_k; 10-03-2006 at 05:30 AM.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:02 AM   #15
scotty1024
Banned

Well you can at least tell iRex it isn't charset encoding.

In addition to the iLiad not reading all the manifests correcting in my RSS feeds the Minimo browser regularly dies reading files that work perfectly well with other browsers.

I review my long list of bugs in xpdf and minimo and shake my head in sadness. I'll be pretty busy once they release the sources.