Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-28-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
thesandman
thesandman began at the beginning.

Device: None.
E-Reader... for comics?

Hi all. Apologies if this query has been posted, I've tried searching extensively but haven't found a clear solution to my problem. I'm new to tablets / e-readers and would love to pick up a new one specifically to read novels... as well as comics. I realise reading comics on e-ink may be a problem, but I'd really prefer e-ink for less eye strain and versatility. Is there an e-reader, with e-ink, that would be suitable for reading comics in colour as well as reading novels?

All help is greatly appreciated. And if I should just settle with a tablet, all suggestions are appreciated also. Thanks for your help, and apologies again if there's a post I've missed.
thesandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious
Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
For comics you really need a tablet, unless they're all in black and white. Even then you'd need a large e-ink reader to make sure reading them doesn't get really annoying, really fast.

If I were you, and had the cash, I'd get both an ereader and a 10" tablet. Other than size, which really needs to be 10", any tablet will do perfectly fine for reading comics. Any current internal specs will be sufficient and a resolution of 1280x800 is perfectly fine.

You ought to be able to pick up a Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 for cheap right around now, given that the Tab 3 has been announced. I've got the Tab 2 myself and find it perfect for comics. In fact, I can't really see how the higher resolution of the Nexus 10 or the last iPad could improve the experience more than very marginally.

Last edited by Istvan diVega; 06-28-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Istvan diVega is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2013, 04:20 AM   #3
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan diVega View Post
For comics you really need a tablet, unless they're all in black and white. Even then you'd need a large e-ink reader to make sure reading them doesn't get really annoying, really fast.

If I were you, and had the cash, I'd get both an ereader and a 10" tablet. Other than size, which really needs to be 10", any tablet will do perfectly fine for reading comics. Any current internal specs will be sufficient and a resolution of 1280x800 is perfectly fine.

You ought to be able to pick up a Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 for cheap right around now, given that the Tab 3 has been announced. I've got the Tab 2 myself and find it perfect for comics. In fact, I can't really see how the higher resolution of the Nexus 10 or the last iPad could improve the experience more than very marginally.
I pretty much agree. I bought a comic once on the kindle just to see how it would look and it looses a lot when it's in black and white, also the refresh rate on e-ink devices is too slow IMO. I also think that 10 inches is the best size tablet for reading comics as apposed to the 7/8 inch ones. I sometimes read them on my ipad mini when out and about but when I'm at home I much perfect using my galaxy tab 2 10.1.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:25 AM   #4
thesandman
thesandman began at the beginning.

Device: None.
Thanks for your help guys. I had a look at the Tab and it looks great for what I'm after. I did some further researching and am very interested in a Pocketbook Color Lux - does anyone have any pre-order information on it? I'm from Australia and don't mind paying shipping. Also, has a release date been confirmed? From what I've found on Russian e-book forums, it's set to be released sometime next month.
thesandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:26 PM   #5
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
I had a 1280x800 tablet, and then picked up a Nook HD+. The higher screen resolution did make a difference. I hadn't noticed any problems before with the 1280x800 screen, but when I used my HD+ for a while and then tried to use my old tablet I realized that the old screen was actually harder to read on, I had to work harder to read small text and see small lines, etc. So that does make a difference.

Since you can get a Nook HD+ new for very cheap now I'd say get that, or look for a cheap high rez tablet. It does make a difference and for me the higher resolution is definitely worth it.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2013, 03:48 AM   #6
SAKDOSS
SAKDOSS began at the beginning.

Device: none
I am reading comics with my onyx boox M92. You, indeed, lost the color but I find it acceptable (I read Preacher and it was fine) (know I am reading Maus and Sin city but it's mostly in black and white so no problem !).

I prefer to lose the color rather than to read on an iPad or a computer.
SAKDOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:54 AM   #7
Ansileran
Zealot
Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kobo Aura HD, Cybook Odyssey HD
The Pocketbook colour only has an 8" screen, isn't it a bit small to read comics? It seemed better than the Jetbook but I haven't seen one except in a video so I can't really tell if it's good enough or not. I only read mangas so no screen size or color problem here...

I can only second what was said here: get both a tablet and a reader. Or if you don't read too many novels, skip the reader entirely. Any 10" tablet should be fine if it's just for reading. Of course, if you only read comics at home and you have a computer you don't need a tablet ^^.

Keep in mind that a 10" tablet is quite heavy ~500g at least without cover...
Ansileran is offline   Reply With Quote