Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-25-2011, 08:04 PM   #1
tongsan
tongsan began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
cover art on purchsed books/ EPUB to EPUB

I'm a newbie here, so thanks in advance for your patience

I have a Nook Color and really want to add cover art to sideloaded books that are already on the Nook (=NC). Many of these are DRM'd ebooks. They are stored in different directories on my hard drive and on the NC.

So: I have successfully brought those books into calibre and given them covers: hooray!

BUT: now how do I synch them back onto the NC? when I add the new books to the device from calibre I just get 2 copies--neither of which shows cover art in the NC, though the cover art was nicely visible in Calibre.

is this because the books are DRMd? I hope not?
am i doing something wrong? i hope so.

ps. and I see often that we're told to do an EPUB to EPUB conversion. why would we need to do that?
tongsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:11 PM   #2
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I can't help you with the cover art issues (I don't have a Nook, and barely touch Calibre), but for epub to epub: the conversion will remove weird settings in the original (like wide margins good for viewing on a computer screen, or a too-small or too-large base font size) and allow the reader to use their own settings. It can also remove bad CSS elements or bad HTML sections, if any. Allows for a TOC to be made, and so on.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2011, 09:14 AM   #3
tongsan

i see, elfwreck. thanks. understanding is a good thing!
Old 05-26-2011, 09:53 AM   #4
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
The cover you see is in calibre. Often you need to do an EPUB to EPUB conversion to have the cover properly set to the cover in calibre.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:56 AM   #5
tongsan

but if the books are purchased and DRM'd I can't doan epub to epub conversion, right?
Advert
Old 05-27-2011, 10:23 AM   #6
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Indeed you cannot convert a DRM protected book. Often DRM protected books cannot have any content (cover included) changed in the actual file.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote