Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-07-2010, 12:08 AM   #1
BrianKeegan
BrianKeegan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kindle and school ebook

Hello all,

I go to an online school and we have e-books that I do not want to print and according to the knowledge base the kindle does not work with the e book.

The entire reason I purchased the kindle in the first place was so I may read school books on my train ride to work , hence I am curious if anyone has found a work around.
Below is the official school answer. And please please help I have gone through what i can.

Question:
Is Amazon Kindle compatible with the student eBooks?
Answer:
Kindle is not compatible with the university eBooks. Kindle does not have the functionality to unlock the Protectedpdf eBooks.The eBooks require Adobe Reader and Java. Kindle does not support Adobe Reader and Java.
BrianKeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:25 AM   #2
jphphotography
Zealot
jphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle 3 6" 3G + wifi, Sony PRS-300, iTouch 4G, Galaxy S Vibrant
The Kindle does not support the DRM'd (ie protected) ebooks, I had the same experience when I tried to get some ebooks from my public library.

How long have you had the Kindle? If you haven't had it long then you might want to return it and get a Nook or a Sony reader if your sole purpose for purchasing it was university ebooks.

The alternative is to break the protection which is illegal so you won't get any help from people on this forum.

Perhaps Amazon will allow for drm books in the future but from what I've read it doesn't sound likely.
jphphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2010, 01:22 AM   #3
BrianKeegan

I have had the kindle for over a year, in axia collage I can download one chapter at a time and no drm but in UOP they will not allow me.

I was thinking of using snagit to print to a file then calibra or some thing to add it to a mob file. It is my book so not against the rules I think.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:37 AM   #4
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Most library books are in epub format. They are drm-ed to have
expiration date or for some other reason beyond my knowledge.
If you have them that way, I could assure you that kobo is the
perfect beast to ride. Calibre and Sigil could tweak it further to
your liking. Since this is kindle forum, the answer might be out of
topic, but it sounds like you cannot have it on k3 without some-
thing like fbreader, which will be ported pretty soon.
How did you get those books anyway?
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:40 AM   #5
BrianKeegan

@zoran I go to oline school all of our books are .pdf. It takes forever to read a book on a screen and I do not want to print them. so the kindle was working but not anymore thanks to the drm of everything
Advert
Old 10-07-2010, 01:57 AM   #6
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Huh! The worst choice!
What kind of books they are? With pictures or just ascii text?
If text, Calibre could help to convert to mobi.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:06 AM   #7
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
I'm waiting for a decent tablet PC for just this reason. This way, if they're available, I can read text books on and off line.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:20 AM   #8
BrianKeegan

Zoran they include pictures as well as text. regular e-book. I tried printing it with snagit software then turning it into a ps file then creating a pdf with acrobat 9 but so far it has taken hours. This is frustrating because it is my own school book.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:59 PM   #9
Steveaudus
Steveaudus began at the beginning.

Kindle in schools and sharing books

This is my question we started using a set of 30 iPads with iBooks, which is great but the students are too easily distracted with other apps, so our English department are considering Kindles.

The best thing about iPads is just one copy of a book has to be purchased, and then that can be transferred to the whole set of iPads, can you do the same thing with Kindles?

Doesn't the DRM proctection prevent the books from being copied?

Thank you for any advice.
:-)
Steveaudus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:06 PM   #10
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphphotography View Post
The Kindle does not support the DRM'd (ie protected) ebooks...
Not quite correct.

The Kindle does support DRM'd ebooks, though only when they are in Amazon's AZW format, both the MOBI version and the TOPAZ version.

The Kindle does not support DRM'd MOBI if the old Mobipocket.com DRM is used and it doesn't support any of the true DRM versions for PDF documents (I refuse to call these "ebooks"). It also doesn't support ePub formatted ebooks regardless of whether there is DRM or not.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:14 PM   #11
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
Not quite correct.

The Kindle does support DRM'd ebooks, though only when they are in Amazon's AZW format, both the MOBI version and the TOPAZ version.

The Kindle does not support DRM'd MOBI if the old Mobipocket.com DRM is used and it doesn't support any of the true DRM versions for PDF documents (I refuse to call these "ebooks"). It also doesn't support ePub formatted ebooks regardless of whether there is DRM or not.
Clarified: Amazon only supports it's own DRM format.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:58 AM   #12
Steveaudus
Steveaudus began at the beginning.

Copying Books

So regaurdless what format the book is in, you can't copy the book onto multiple machines?

If we brought 30 Kindles we'd have to purchase 30 copies of each book to put on them?

Thanks
Steveaudus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:06 AM   #13
BrianKeegan

After almost a year I found i can use pdf factory pro. you open the school pdf unlock it with my password then print with pdf pro. after that you save it and you can read it on the kindle. I go to UOP and I have used this method for 2 classes already.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:55 AM   #14
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveaudus View Post
So regaurdless what format the book is in, you can't copy the book onto multiple machines?

If we brought 30 Kindles we'd have to purchase 30 copies of each book to put on them?
If the Kindles are all on the same account, you can share books on the devices on a limited basis. Most books default at 6 devices simultaneously. Some books have unlimited sharing. Some have 5 or fewer. This limit used to be listed under the product details section of the Amazon product page for the ebook, but I just checked about a dozen Kindle books, and I don't see it there anymore.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:13 PM   #15
NoHolyGrail
Connoisseur
NoHolyGrail began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (previously owned PRS-500, PRS-600)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveaudus View Post

Thanks
The problem is only if the book has DRM. If you purchase books from a source that does not use DRM (obviously not Amazon), you could do exactly what you're doing now, which is send copies to all the Kindles.

Even more easily, if you are using books that are public domain, you should have no problem since you can download unlimited copies for free (from Project Gutenberg, Google Books, and sometimes the Kindle Store). And these generally have no DRM, so you could also choose to make and send copies all you like.

Another solution, although more difficult, is that if your school owns physical copies of these books, you could scan them to produce your own digital copies. You can seek help with this in the Workshop forum here. With the money you save from buying Kindles instead of iPads, you could even pay someone to do this work for you.
NoHolyGrail is offline   Reply With Quote