Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-03-2012, 01:44 PM   #14296
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool .K. Rowling and Jim ButcherJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Blood Rites was a great re-read. I loved every second of it (do I sound redundant?).

I'vev downloaded the Amazon free sample of The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling. Since the price for the complete book is a bit steep I'm going to first read the sample and then decide if I want to finish the book bad enough to pay $17.99 for the privilege.
I finished the sample last night and the actual complete book is now on my Amazon Christmas wish list.

My short Dresden break turned out to be real short and I've now begun re-reading Dead Beat, number seven of The Dresden Files.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:32 PM   #14297
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Now - time for a classic. I'm now starting Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness.
I enjoyed this one although it was sometimes a little difficult to grasp meaning in the narrative.

I was thinking while reading that there was a real echo of this novel in Apocalypse Now. OK - maybe it is a common fact for those more educated in such matters, but I was quite shocked after completing this novel to read the following under Apocalypse Now in Wikipedia:

Quote:
The screenplay by John Milius and Coppola came from Milius's idea of adapting Joseph Conrad's novella Heart of Darkness into the Vietnam War era.
At least I wasn't so confused as to miss the similarity.

OK - another indie novel now. This time, it's David Michael's Gunwitch: A Tale Of The King's Coven. I've enjoyed the other books I've read from this author so I'm interested to see what effect this one has on me.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:09 PM   #14298
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I am currently reading Hal Spacejock and hope it lives up to some of the hype I have seen where it is compared favorably to the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and Red Dwarf. So far it hasn't, but I will finish it.
I finished this on Tuesday, my opinion didn't change and I won't be continuing in this series, but I can't decide what to read next.

As a stop-gap I read a short story - The Death Clock by J. Rock - which was good. Then at lunch I saw The Feeling of Power by Isaac Asimov in the "Name this Book" thread, so read it too. Then when looking for the story I was asking about, I decided to read The Most Dangerous Game by Richard Connell. I don't think I have read it before, but it was very good. I also started another Julius Katz short on my way home.

As for what to read next, I considered starting Cloudburst by Ryne Douglas Pearson, but that doesn't appeal right now. Maybe I will try to fill in a couple decades that I am missing and read something from 1900-1909 (Anne of Green Gables?), 1930-1939 (Little House on the Prairie? At the Mountains of Madness?) or 1960-1969 (Dune? Charlie and the Chocolate Factory?).
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:11 AM   #14299
CarolineNH
Expert napper
CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Pro, Kindle Fire 10
Just started "Wired" by Douglas Richards. The storyline so far is interesting, but some of the writing seems amateurish, with some long words (Chevrolet Suburban instead of Chevy, for instance, and "fake identification" used instead of shortening it to "fake ID" when we've already established what is being discussed.) The writing style at times seems like what I used to do in college to stretch the paper to the required number of pages when I didn't have quite enough material. I'm on Chapter 3, though, and it seems like it's starting to pick up. We'll see if the editing improves along the way.
CarolineNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:17 AM   #14300
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Just finished Dave Bidini's Home and Away: In Search of Dreams at the Homeless World Cup of Soccer. Very good.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:22 AM   #14301
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Another good set of stories, but nothing outstanding.

Next: Asimov's SF, October/November 2012 by Dell Magazine Authors.
Also entertaining, but again nothing outstanding.

Next: Unseen Academicals by Terry Pratchett.

I finally couldn't resist an ebook offer. I'm pretty sure the hardback is around the house, but I just don't read paper any more.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:41 AM   #14302
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

^I enjoyed that one a lot.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:57 AM   #14303
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I finally couldn't resist an ebook offer. I'm pretty sure the hardback is around the house, but I just don't read paper any more.
I totally understand. I've also bought books that I know I have in paper here, but that I wanted to reread.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:52 PM   #14304
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolineNH View Post
Just started "Wired" by Douglas Richards. The storyline so far is interesting, but some of the writing seems amateurish, with some long words (Chevrolet Suburban instead of Chevy, for instance, and "fake identification" used instead of shortening it to "fake ID" when we've already established what is being discussed.) The writing style at times seems like what I used to do in college to stretch the paper to the required number of pages when I didn't have quite enough material. I'm on Chapter 3, though, and it seems like it's starting to pick up. We'll see if the editing improves along the way.
I've read that one myself. It was a good thriller, but I had a couple of issues with it. Interested to read your opinion when finished.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:57 PM   #14305
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I'm right in the middle of 'The Bourne Identity' and marvel at Robert Ludlum's ability to keep you on the edge of your seat, even when you know what's going to happen! I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:35 PM   #14306
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I just started The Last Eagle by Michael Wenberg.
Quote:
Forced into a neutral Estonian port for repairs during the chaos of the opening days of World War II, the Polish submarine, the "Eagle" and her crew are betrayed by their captain and captured by Nazi sympathizers. The crew, however, isn’t content to sit out the war. With help from unexpected sources—a naval attaché with the British Embassy and a courageous American reporter and her photographer sidekick—they overcome their captors, regain control of the "Eagle," and escape. The German’s are convinced the "Eagle's" crew has no stomach for a fight and will seek refuge in Sweden. But the Poles have something else in mind—join up with the British Fleet and continue fighting against their homeland's Nazi conquerors. They face stiff odds. The "Eagle" has little food and water, few torpedoes, and no sea charts. And before she can rendezvous with the British somewhere in the North Sea, she must traverse the Baltic, which has become little more than a Nazi-controlled lake.

This story is inspired by the exploits of the Polish submarine, "Orzel," during the early weeks of World War II.

Winston Churchill called her escape from the Nazis “an epic.”
Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:41 AM   #14307
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I finished I Shall Wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett. Pretty much the same as the other Tiffany Aching junior discworld books. Enjoyable enough.

I've started on The Crime at Black Dudley by Margery Allingham - the first Campion book (or maybe, more accurately, the nothingth, since he's not the main character) - and I'm really enjoying it so far.

Quote:
Maybe I will try to fill in a couple decades that I am missing and read something from 1900-1909 (Anne of Green Gables?), 1930-1939 (Little House on the Prairie? At the Mountains of Madness?) or 1960-1969 (Dune? Charlie and the Chocolate Factory?).
I'm missing the 1900s and 1930s too. I'm going to be reading A Man Lay Dead by Ngaio Marsh for the 1930s (and to complete my set of the Queens of Crime), and I'm thinking of trying to push on with Ghost Stories of an Antiquary by M R James for the 1900s. This isn't a real challenge for me, though, just a bit of fun, so I don't really care if I don't get the whole set. I'm certainly going to be about 8 letters short of the alphabet challenge.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:14 AM   #14308
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I'm right in the middle of 'The Bourne Identity' and marvel at Robert Ludlum's ability to keep you on the edge of your seat, even when you know what's going to happen! I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series.

Stitchawl
Read it when I was a much younger man, and for a while it was my fave thriller. Have fun with the rest. I am still reading the series, even though they are now written by Van Lustbader.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:57 AM   #14309
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

^^What do you have left for the alphabet challenge?

For Dazrin, the 1960s is such a great decade for books. It's probably just my general aesthetic that fits well with it, but some options would be the ones I read from the 1960s this year: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, God Bless You Mr. Rosewater, Rabbit Run, and R is for Rocket.

Currently, I'm reading Deep Wizardry by Diane Duane and The Madness of Hallen by Russell Meek.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:58 AM   #14310
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
Quote:
Maybe I will try to fill in a couple decades that I am missing and read something from 1900-1909 (Anne of Green Gables?), 1930-1939 (Little House on the Prairie? At the Mountains of Madness?) or 1960-1969 (Dune? Charlie and the Chocolate Factory?).
I'm missing the 1900s and 1930s too. I'm going to be reading A Man Lay Dead by Ngaio Marsh for the 1930s (and to complete my set of the Queens of Crime), and I'm thinking of trying to push on with Ghost Stories of an Antiquary by M R James for the 1900s. This isn't a real challenge for me, though, just a bit of fun, so I don't really care if I don't get the whole set. I'm certainly going to be about 8 letters short of the alphabet challenge.
This certainly isn't one of my challenges, but since I had thought about it earlier and was stumped, I figured I may as well work on it. Just searching for "best books of ..." returned some good lists which are easier for me to winnow down to what I find interesting than looking for newer books. I tend to get a little too focused on some things (SF/Fantasy), so a little branching out is good for me.

I finally decided to reread Anne of Green Gables (from the library here, thanks vivaldirules!), it has been at least 20 years since I have read any of them, so I wanted to read at least this one again.

I also read The Problem of Cell 13 by Jacques Futrelle last night, it was a fun little locked room mystery, one of his best according to the site that sent me there. It was originally published in 1905, so I will have two from that decade. Reading these older short stories has been very fun, it lets me get a change of pace, plus since they have stood the test of time in order to be recommended they are generally very good.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote