Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-17-2010, 12:38 PM   #1
dreadcptflint
Enthusiast
dreadcptflint began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 950
Self Published a cook book

Has anyone self published a cookbook. I keep looking at smashwords and wondering if that is the best format due to the limitations on pictures. I have almost five years of content and would like to have my recipes while cooking traveling. Help would be appreciated.
dreadcptflint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:49 PM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
My first thought was that I can't see what I'd want with an electronic cookbook. I certainly wouldn't want my ebook reader anywhere near the stove (full disclosure: I'm a bad -- and very, very messy -- cook). But I remember seeing some sort of e-cookbook in Sam's Club a while back, for about the price of an ebook reader, except supposedly kitchen-proof and pre-loaded with recipes. I'm not sure what it does about pictures; I think a small color screen is involved.

I'm not sure what you mean about Smashwords being a "format" ... they sell ebooks in many formats, most of which can handle pictures just fine. The bigger problem is that a lot of people would be trying to look at those pictures on a small screen in something like 8-level grayscale. That's fine for anti-aliasing text, but doesn't work very well when you're trying to show someone how the bacon is supposed to wrap around the chicken. It certainly wouldn't make for a mouth-watering picture of the finished dish.

I'm also a little confused about the purpose of this book. On one hand you're talking about selling it on Smashwords, but in the next sentence you're saying you want to have your recipes while traveling. Knowing the target market will make advising you a bit easier.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2010, 01:56 PM   #3
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
Without the ability to print from my reader, an e-cookbook is of limited use, IMHO. As the technology develops, I can picture being able to print a page or so using wifi on my own network.
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:47 AM   #4
fedora
Connoisseur
fedora rocks like Gibraltar!fedora rocks like Gibraltar!fedora rocks like Gibraltar!fedora rocks like Gibraltar!fedora rocks like Gibraltar!fedora rocks like Gibraltar!fedora rocks like Gibraltar!fedora rocks like Gibraltar!fedora rocks like Gibraltar!fedora rocks like Gibraltar!fedora rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle
Many cooks do take their computers (or Kindles) to the kitchen to follow recipes from expedia.com or cooking blogs. But it is the pictures which seduce a cook to try a new recipe 98% of the time, so until color pictures can be easily displayed in epublishing, I would suggest doing a blog with your recipes. Once you get a base, you can ask for paying subscribers, if you desire. Meanwhile, put together your cookbook (with pictures). The technology will be here soon.

Have fun with it:

http://madhousewifecellars.typepad.c...ewife-kitchen/
fedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:10 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedora View Post
Many cooks do take their computers (or Kindles) to the kitchen to follow recipes from expedia.com or cooking blogs. But it is the pictures which seduce a cook to try a new recipe 98% of the time, so until color pictures can be easily displayed in epublishing, I would suggest doing a blog with your recipes. Once you get a base, you can ask for paying subscribers, if you desire. Meanwhile, put together your cookbook (with pictures). The technology will be here soon.

Have fun with it:

http://madhousewifecellars.typepad.c...ewife-kitchen/
We have a forum for promoting your own products here. Please use it, or your posts will be considered to be "spam" and you may be banned from MobileRead.

And please DON'T make duplicate posts.

Thanks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2010, 08:24 AM   #6
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I think the best thing would be to make a PDF. Is it just for yourself to use? If you use Word or OpenOffice set the page size as the size of the screen on your reader. Then make everything like normal; make sure you use like size 9-10 font or else it will be too big. Then you can save the document as a PDF and load it onto your reader (assuming whatever you use can read PDFs). It should end up looking exactly like you made it, pictures and all. You can even make a table of contents for it.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:26 AM   #7
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
As Banjobama says, Dread. You could also make the PDF print friendly so that it doesn't matter too much if a reader's recipe gets splattered with sauce. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:04 PM   #8
RAScully
RAScully is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony
Check out Create Space. IMO

Cookbooks can be sold everywhere, especially if you are willing to do a little marketing. Fall festivals, community sales, are great places to retail your books. With the print on demand set up, you can get what you want and go from there. Lots of options. Definately E-book it, I strongly recommend Smashwords, they were great and I had little issue with them for my Fantasy Novel. Great place to start. Good luck and all the best!
RAScully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:41 AM   #9
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
I would buy an ebook version of a cookbook - provided I could print pages if needed (though I have cooked from a recipe displayed on my laptop before). Smashwords would be good for that.
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:13 PM   #10
dreadcptflint
Enthusiast
dreadcptflint began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 950
Thank you all for the input. I do a lot of outdoor cooking so some of these will be for myself and for people to share. An ebook format is ideal for what I am planning to do with my library.
dreadcptflint is offline   Reply With Quote