Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-22-2013, 02:41 PM   #121
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
This forum supports the ability to ignore someone so as long as nobody answers them and quotes them you won't see what they say.

Dale
I'm aware of the ignore option, and I use it on occasion, but this is a different issue. It's not that, say, AFV011's posts arguing that the Nexus, the HTC One, or the Samsung Galaxy 4 are better than the iPhone are bad; it's that he shouldn't come into the Apple forum and make them. They would be perfectly acceptable in the Android forum, or "what device should I buy" forum, or the news or general discussion forum...and probably many other forums as well. I just don't think that they are appropriate for the Apple forum.

As I mentioned, the Kindle and Nook forums, respectively, are places for people to talk about those products - and not places for supporters of competing products to come in and proselytize. Or, worse, insult users of the device which the forum is set up to discuss. (Which AFV did not do).

If discussing all products is on topic in a device specific forum, why even *have* device specific fora? If the Kindle forum were a place not just to talk about the Kindle, but also a place to bash Kindle users and talk about all products competing with the Kindle, it would pretty quickly kill the Kindle forum.

And that's what I don't want the Apple forum to become, and for the same reason. MR has done a pretty good job over the past year, IMO, at eliminating the casual Apple bashing (iSheep, etc.) that used to be acceptable. So I was kind of surprised that the poster I originally objected to casually insulted all Apple users as being ignorant and stupid, *and* that he did in in the Apple forum, *and* that he didn't seem to even realize that what he did might be seen as being objectionable.

TL;DR - No, I don't think that just using the ignore function is the solution to this particular issue.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:53 PM   #122
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Reminds me of how when rich people were drafted in the Civil War they often hired poor people to fulfill their service obligation.
I would guess that a few of those "poor but clever people" took the gold (not Union Script) and signed up for more than one of the young rich gentlemen and then went far away from war. Maybe Canada or West under a new name.

SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2013, 10:44 PM   #123
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
I'm aware of the ignore option, and I use it on occasion, but this is a different issue. It's not that, say, AFV011's posts arguing that the Nexus, the HTC One, or the Samsung Galaxy 4 are better than the iPhone are bad; it's that he shouldn't come into the Apple forum and make them. They would be perfectly acceptable in the Android forum, or "what device should I buy" forum, or the news or general discussion forum...and probably many other forums as well. I just don't think that they are appropriate for the Apple forum.
Please, read the posts before starting your complaints. I did not come here bashing the iphone, I replied to a post where it was implied you could only get a good quality phone if you paid iphone prices. The nexus4 clearly proves that point is simply wrong, and that's what my post was about. It is relevant to the discussion, as somebody else introduced the topic of price/value.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:49 AM   #124
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
I judge here good place to put "Strobed Warning Blasting Zone Sign" but mobileread site management frowns on startling obtrusive signs.

Last edited by forsooth; 09-23-2013 at 03:51 AM.
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:41 PM   #125
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Please, read the posts before starting your complaints. I did not come here bashing the iphone, I replied to a post where it was implied you could only get a good quality phone if you paid iphone prices. The nexus4 clearly proves that point is simply wrong, and that's what my post was about. It is relevant to the discussion, as somebody else introduced the topic of price/value.
afv011, how many times have you whined about someone disrespecting Android or MS. I would guess none. If someone says something bad about Android or MS or Blackberry or any number of other technologies, we might disagree, but I don't think (and of course all humans are fallible) we complain about individuals and their intent to make our poor Android/etc. using lives miserable.

Doggone it, I believe the appropriate expression here is (making this as site palatable as possible) "We are not your enemy!"
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2013, 02:45 AM   #126
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Appears one failed to consider Danger Sign.

"poof!"
Old 09-26-2013, 07:59 AM   #127
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I'm musing on October 15th.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #128
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
When you are not attacking apple you are promoting android. I don't think it is appropriate in the Apple forum just like promoting Nooks wouldn't be appropriate in the Kindle forum.

I don't see why Apple users have to constantly defend their use of a product against Android zealots *even in the Apple forum.*
Old 09-28-2013, 11:13 AM   #129
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
a

Doggone it, I believe the appropriate expression here is (making this as site palatable as possible) "We are not your enemy!"
Then why come to the Apple forum and claim that apple users are ignorant and stupid for not using/considering/knowing about Android?

That is not friendly.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:08 PM   #130
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
My theory is this: impassioned consumer brand wars reflect people's feelings of social and political powerlessness. Same thing with people who make a point of hating celebrities.

Because we have no real standing or power, and nothing else (apparently) to represent our interests, we ally ourselves with this or that brand as chavs do football teams.

The allure of putting down Apple repeatedly is this:

The assumption that Apple users confuse their purchases with the maverick individuality which is promised traditionally by Apple advertising. To put Apple down is to put down the consumer team and corporate celebrity associated with it.

However, belonging to one consumer group, pointing to another group and characterizing the second group as delusional is also delusional, as shown by that very act.

The mistake is in assuming that everyone who buys an Apple product does so for the same arbitrary reasons, and that one's own reasons for buying a different product are automatically better.

Another common brand war tactic is to attack a given product for fun and then laugh at people who are serious enough to respond to one's attacks. Apple attracts that sort of troll simply because its ads promise pseudo-individuality, giving the troll the chance to repeat endlessly that Apple's promise is a lie and that those who fall for it are sheep.

The irony of putting down Apple users is that, in privileging your own brand choices as less credulous than those of the diehard Apple customer, you are doing the exact thing you claim to criticize -- confusing mere brand choices with evidence of individual superiority. You are demonstrating that you, too, baa-baa-baa when the screen is dark and the wallet is full.

To associate humility or wisdom with Android users and arrogance or credulousness with Apple users is itself an admission that one has been hypnotized by marketing.

Having to repeat that association over and over year after year in forum after forum reminds me of the words of Freud:

"A neurotic repeats the same behavior without remembering the cause."

It's been over a decade since the first iPod was introduced. At this point, I don't really care which team wins an Apple vs. Android debate.

What I do wish is that the same compulsive arguments weren't always being made, and that people might occasionally talk about something else.

It's strange to leave a room and come back years later, only to find that the same people are still in that room saying the same things and engaged in the same fight. How can it be fun to argue for one team over another in a public forum if the argument itself never changes? And how active can anyone be who is self-defined as a passive consumer?

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 09-28-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:30 PM   #131
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post

Having to repeat that association over and over year after year in forum after forum reminds me of the words of Freud:

"A neurotic repeats the same behavior without remembering the cause."
Interesting. I sometimes quote the saying: "A neurotic builds imaginary castles in the sky, and a psychotic attempts to live in those castles."

Is there a parallel saying for your "words of Freud" for a psychotic?
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:30 PM   #132
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Interesting. I sometimes quote the saying: "A neurotic builds imaginary castles in the sky, and a psychotic attempts to live in those castles."

Is there a parallel saying for your "words of Freud" for a psychotic?
The phrase "in the words of Freud" tends to be used to give credit to Sigmund Freud for the words (as translated) which are being quoted. There's nothing more to it than that.

Freud wrote about psychotics quite often, so I'm sure you could find a Freud quote that seemed to illustrate the point of your comment.

However, your comment seems not to be a response to my post. It quotes decontextualized words from my post, and addresses me in the rhetorical sense, but I'm not sure it addressed the point of what I said.

Contrasting the neurotic with the psychotic -- possibly in order to suggest an inherent difference between Apple fanboys and anti-fanboys? -- looks to be related to the stereotyping I mentioned in my post, but it might also be an example of that kind of stereotyping.

The trap would be associating a mindset with a brand and, by extension, everyone who buys products made by the company that owns it. Cf. my diagnosing you with an Oedipal complex based on your wearing Duckie Browns instead of Seavees.

Personally, I wouldn't characterize all Apple users as psychotic any more than I would all Android or PC users as neurotic. The need to engage in any sort of consumer's brand war is what seems neurotic to me, not the particular choice of brand to which the warrior happens to prove loyal.

But perhaps you were only asking whether I could recommend a useful Freud quote to you. In fact I have two clinical psychologists and a therapist in my family, so I could certainly ask. One of them has the job you often see in forensic shows -- the fellow who profiles dangerous criminals -- and he might have some particularly good one-liners about psychotics. Trouble is, they won't be quotes from Freud.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 09-29-2013 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:58 AM   #133
forsooth
tec montage

Quote:
'''
My theory is this: impassioned consumer brand wars reflect people's feelings of social and political powerlessness. Same thing with people who make a point of hating celebrities.

Because we have no real standing or power, and nothing else (apparently) to represent our interests, we ally ourselves with this or that brand as chavs do football teams.
'''
Why not contrary meaning?
Why not power not powerlessness?
Old 09-30-2013, 03:21 AM   #134
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsooth View Post
Because the powerful run this. By living our lives, we're already their Roman arena.

If the powerless didn't need the misdirect of vicarious catharsis, then the public Roman arena would never have existed. In one sense, internet brand wars are a virtual Death Race 2000 in which consumers participate, just as hating celebs is the metaphorical equivalent of feeding Christians to lions: Haters want to be lions. In another sense, it's just a variation on playing the dozens. The art of the insult.

The only relatively positive thing about any of it is the replacement of literal human blood with the metaphorical kind. But if we weren't calling for one another's blood at all, we might be in a better position to understand the true source of our anger.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 09-30-2013 at 03:25 AM.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:49 AM   #135
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Because the powerful run this. By living our lives, we're already their Roman arena.

Quote:
Posted by forsooth

If the powerless didn't need the misdirect of vicarious catharsis, then the public Roman arena would never have existed. In one sense, internet brand wars are a virtual Death Race 2000 in which consumers participate, just as hating celebs is the metaphorical equivalent of feeding Christians to lions: Haters want to be lions. In another sense, it's just a variation on playing the dozens. The art of the insult.

The only relatively positive thing about any of it is the replacement of literal human blood with the metaphorical kind. But if we weren't calling for one another's blood at all, we might be in a better position to understand the true source of our anger.
I see your point, Prestidigitweeze, and I also see Forsooths.

I think the trap you have fallen into is to only have 2 categories.
I love some celebrities. I hate some celebrities.

It can't just be the powerful and the weak or there wouldn't be these splits.
Some brands I admire. Others I stay away from.

For years I stayed away from Acer. Now it has become quite respectable in general.
I used to swear by Dell. Now they hardly enter my consciousness.

Surely you see things are not strictly dichotomies.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote