Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-25-2008, 02:18 PM   #1
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Lightbulb eNews Content Available on Kindle

A secondary source for news on the Kindle are eNews files from MobiPocket Reader.

There is a slight trick to getting them onto the Kindle (since MobiPocket Reader 6.1 no longer "sees" the Kindle) , but it's easy enough. Attach a USB flash drive (or anything along those lines, really... sd card, etc) and then send the files to the drive. From there, drag and drop to the Kindle wherever appropriate.

As to content that is actually usable - that's another story. I've been testing various eNews feeds and thought compiling a list of working and complete feeds would be worthwhile, so feel free to add any you find. So we need feeds that actually produce usable content and full content. Not partial articles or leadins that point you to the main article. I'll try to keep this updated accordingly.

To use MobiPocket with the Kindle best - use version 6.0
http://mason.gmu.edu/~nhoffeld/Mobipocket6.zip

So far, here's what I have:

BBC News | Front Page | World Edition

TIME Magazine Online: Top Stories

USATODAY.com News - Top Stories

CNN - World

Wired Top Stories

BBC - Science and Nature

CNN - Technology

PCWorld - Technology (Ad heavy)

Slashdot - Science

The Economist - Full Print Edition

Jerusalem Post - (small, but the nuts and bolts)

Huffington Post - Full News Feed

The Onion - Weekly Content

Washington Post - Op/Ed

Last edited by Gideon; 01-28-2008 at 07:19 PM.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 02:47 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Version 6.0 of the Mobipocket Desktop does recognize the Kindle. Just a second while I go find a copy.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2008, 02:52 PM   #3
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

More the merrier... 6.1 add anything significant beyond turning off support for the Kindle?
Old 01-25-2008, 02:58 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Nope. 6.1 adds diddly squat. You can download 6.0 from the following link.
http://mason.gmu.edu/~nhoffeld/Mobipocket6.zip

We used to have a copy of 6.0 here, but some moderators were uncomfortable with distributing it, even though Mobipocket doesn't care. We compromised and I can link to it, rather than post it here. Right now it's on my own webspace.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:07 PM   #5
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

Great, thanks! Certainly make the process easier!
Advert
Old 01-25-2008, 03:19 PM   #6
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Pretty dumb move from Amazon to remove this feature. As long as this device is UMS, it'll be very easy to put content on it.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:23 PM   #7
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

I can't imagine it was accidental. I'm pretty sure Amazon is trying to keep a tight control over this as it could dip into their media revenue.

But I agree it was very stupid. A nice front end like this is silly to put out to pasture.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:06 PM   #8
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Yeah, having the Kindle recognized by MobiPocket is an easy way to get the Kindle's PID. However, in 6.1 the Kindle is recognized as an USB drive so you could still move files from MobiPocket to the Kindle but Mobipocket puts the files into a folder called ebooks. You then have to physically move the files to the document folder.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 09:53 PM   #9
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
A secondary source for news on the Kindle are eNews files from MobiPocket Reader....

As to content that is actually usable - that's another story. I've been testing various eNews feeds and thought compiling a list of working and complete feeds would be worthwhile, so feel free to add any you find....

The Economist - Full Print Edition
Ooooo, thank you for the pointer! It's not well organized, but is very usable.

And thanks Nate for the Mobipocket 6.0. With an SD card installed in my Kindle, the 6.0 version syncs easily with the Kindle when I connect via USB, loading the enews files to the proper "documents" directory on the card, no moving needed.

I'd still appreciate it if The Economist and Amazon could offer a Kindle version. I'd gladly pay the full regular paper subscription price for that convenience. (I usually find discounts for my paper subscription but would gladly give them up for a nice Kindle edition with no ads! I might even pay more).
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:14 PM   #10
jbm123
jbm123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
parallels

Anyone figure out how to do this in Parallels on a mac? I've updated to 2.5 Parallels and it's "recognizing" the Kindle, but I can't get Mobipocket 6.0 to see the device.

There's got to be a really smart mac using Kindle owning computer geek out there.
jbm123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:20 PM   #11
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

I'll be using the same setup in a few days. I'll let you know if I have any problems. Not sure why it wouldn't, though.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:25 PM   #12
renoel
renoel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Dear Awesome Techies,
I just got my husband a Kindle for his birthday. He's a Luddite, so I'm trying to load it up with cool stuff for him. I followed the directions in the "Beginner's Guide" on the Mobileread.com forum very carefully. But I've hit a glitch. I can't seem to install the Mobipocket reader (6.0). It tells me there's something wrong with the Windows installer. Now, of course I don't have any trouble installing anything else. Does anybody have any idea what might be causing my problem, and, even more importantly, what I might be able to do about it?
I will be ever so grateful for any advice and help.
--Mere mortal (and not particularly techie)
renoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:35 PM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Delete the file you have and try to download it from the link in the first post in the A Beginner's Guide to Kindle Content thread.

You need to install this version on XP as it loses some functionality in Vista. You can read about the issues here starting at post #10.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote