Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-15-2010, 07:58 PM   #1
davers
Connoisseur
davers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Sony Dark Blue 505
eReaders with bigger screen

Is the kindle the only eReader to come out with a 9.7 inch screen? If it weren't a kindle, I'd scoop it up in a minute. All the readers I see from a search in google have been talked about in this forum, but with dates of 2008 say "rumored to be released in November 2008". But I don't see them anywhere for sale. Anyone know what's going on?

Dave
davers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:03 PM   #2
Reporter15
Author
Reporter15 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
That's the only one I've heard of so far, too, but I keep reading there will be lots of new eReaders coming out in 2010. Should be an interesting year.
Reporter15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:11 PM   #3
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
The Que is coming out soon and has the same size screen--and it's a touch screen--but it's much more expensive.

http://www.que.com/

Also the Skiff reader coming out sometime, and it has a bigger screen I believe (just google it).

And if you don't need e-ink, you have the iPad and all the other tablet devices coming in the near future. Those are more my interest as I want fast page turns for flipping through PDFs, and would rather have it due more than just read and also have internet, e-mail, video etc.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:41 PM   #4
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
Well, there's the enTourage eDGe. However, the 9.7" e-ink screen is mated with a ten-inch LCD Android tablet and weighs as much as the Asus 10-inch tablet netbook (about three pounds).

Not something I'd recommend for just reading. (I use my 8.1" iRex for that.)

There's also the 10.2" e-ink iRex DR1000 if the price tag doesn't send you into shock. Its firmware (in beta now) is being synchronized with the DR800, so it'll be basically a bigger DR800.

FWIW.
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 06:47 PM   #5
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
I've been following <a href="http://www.thecopia.com/">The Copia</a> since I'd like an ereader device I could use for my academic pdfs. Last I heard, there was a delay due to some SiPIX issues. They're releasing six devices (6" and 9") in the range of $199-$299.
citac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:10 PM   #6
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
What the heck is Copia?!? I went to the website and everything is flash and dazzle with no actual products for sale ...
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 01:50 PM   #7
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Hanvon had some 8 and 9.7 inch readers at CeBIT, but no indication of when they will be on sale.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:36 PM   #8
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
What the heck is Copia?!? I went to the website and everything is flash and dazzle with no actual products for sale ...
From what I read so far, that's because they're not ready yet due to some problem with Sipix screens. They were supposed to be available online sometime in April, and in stores in June but I imagine that will be delayed too.

It's run by DMC Worldwide, I haven't heard about it in my part of the world, but apparently they've been in business for over forty years and are considered reliable. The devices were presented at CES and there are videos on YouTube.
citac is offline   Reply With Quote