Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-27-2007, 10:48 PM   #1
quietrvr
quietrvr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony reader
Unhappy won't update firmware

I finally got Parallels and WinXP on my mac. So I installed the Connect software. The mistake I made was, as soon as it installed, it said "new update available"...I hit the update button. The new firmware won't install. It keeps saying "try again" Of course it deleted the old firmware first, so now my reader won't work at all. It now permanently reads "Firmware update is not finished correctly. Please excute firmware update again"

Which I have many times with no luck. Can anyone help me with a solution?

Thanks muchly,
Kathy
quietrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:52 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One solution, do this on a real Windows machine. Simulated Windows and firmware updates are a very risky business.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 03:35 PM   #3
Morzhoff
Morzhoff began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
1. Launch Parallels, log into Windows.

2. Download updater file from Sony support site to Windows - PRS-500 Updater 1.0.02.01300 . Search it by yourself via Google, I don't remember url.

3. Connect your reader to Mac, without any USB hubs, just plug USB cable directry to mac and other end to reader. The reader must be "seized" by virtual machine. Check in Parallels under Devices-USB- menu, Sony Reader must be checked.

4. Launch updater file, and it will reflash your reader.

5. Do not do firmware flashing from virtual machines anymore, unless you a skilled technician. Host and Virtual machines are in fight after resources, and in flashing process if usb device seized by host, not a virtual machine, you will be in trouble.

Much more safe to use BootCamp, and flash from native Windows.
Morzhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 12:11 AM   #4
quietrvr
quietrvr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony reader
another question for a new user

Will the reader read lrf files that are put on an SD card?
Thanks
quietrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 03:53 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietrvr View Post
Will the reader read lrf files that are put on an SD card?
Thanks
Yes, it will. Assuming, of course, that you put the SD card into the Reader, that is.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 08:30 AM   #6
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
I don't know anything about Macs, but Morzhoff's suggestion about the stand-alone firmware updater is a good idea. You can also put it on a CD or USB flash drive and run it from a PC, saving you the hassle of doing a full install of Connect on somebody else's machine. If you go to the sony.com site and click on Service and Support, Drivers, then type in "PRS-500" for the model and select "Updates" you'll find the download.

I'm not sure about protected content (i.e. stuff you buy from the Connect store for a Reader properly authorized to your account) but you can put any non-protected files (RTF, LRF, PDF) on a card and just put that in the Reader.

If you do a search of the Reader forum here for "mac", "parallels" or "bootcamp" you'll find a lot of discussion about running the Connect software on an OS-X machine. But, as noted above, doing a firmware update under a virtual machine environment is very risky since that code tends to be sensitive to small timing or interface issues.

Hope you get your Reader working, but at worst it will just need a trip back to Sony. Let us know how it works out!

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited by BobVA; 07-29-2007 at 08:38 AM.
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 02:01 AM   #7
Morzhoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobVA View Post
I don't know anything about Macs, but Morzhoff's suggestion about the stand-alone firmware updater is a good idea.

<skipped some text>

Cheers,
Bob
My method works well and tested, because I'm was in the some trouble week ago - Connect software downloads updater, and I click to update my PRS-500. Then have a error, looks like after erasing old firmware updater do a USB-bus reinitialisation or reset, and at this moment VM lost "focus" of reader device, and release it to host Mac OS X system.

Thanks for guide how to find a standalone updater, this will help to recover reader.

I think they chance to restore reader 100%, because reader old firmware erased, but reader stand in bootloader mode and awaits for firmware flashing. Standalone updater works well.

In general life I keep Parallels VM with Connect software and Book Designer, use them both to create books from various files and upload to reader.

For Mac also exists Docudesk PRS Browser, which is free, but done only file transfers from and to reader. Useful if you have a collection of prepared books or PDF-s, and do quick transfer without any Windows WM.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:10 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Never flash anything on an emulated Windows. It's just too risky. If the USB timing is off you could be well and truly screwed. Best to find a true Windows system to use to flash your Reader.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:13 PM   #9
Louisk
Louisk began at the beginning.

Yes, I had the same problem on latest firmware update using my iMac and Parallels. Failed. No matter what, it wouldn't update.

Hooked the reader up to a Tablet PC notebook running XP and the firmware update went through without a hitch.

I know now NEVER to use emulation software to attempt firmware updates.
Louisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:48 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

When you do a firmware update, the USB has to be spot on. Emulated USB is risky at best.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:58 PM   #11
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Someone posted about how he took it to a Sony Style store and they did it for him! (I wouldn't count on it, though, because I doubt that's a formal service provided. You'd have to get lucky and find a knowledgeable and willing person.)
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 09:19 PM   #12
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morzhoff View Post
I think they chance to restore reader 100%, because reader old firmware erased, but reader stand in bootloader mode and awaits for firmware flashing. Standalone updater works well.
Actually, the Reader has two kernels and two corresponding root filesystems. During updating, the "other" kernel boots and runs the update program. The firmware update replaces the "reading-mode" root FS and partition with the reading software.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 03:15 AM   #13
Morzhoff

igorsk Thanks for interesting info about filesystem.

I know Reader runs Linux and this fact lead to easy adopt Reader to use UTF8. Strange decision by Sony to keep Reader at simple Latin code table... I'm already flash my Reader with SD/MS updater patch.

p.s. So funny to have a conversation in English between two Russians

Last edited by Morzhoff; 08-10-2007 at 03:21 AM.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:19 AM   #14
Morzhoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
Someone posted about how he took it to a Sony Style store and they did it for him! (I wouldn't count on it, though, because I doubt that's a formal service provided. You'd have to get lucky and find a knowledgeable and willing person.)
I think it will be good to stick FAQ for Mac Users! Anyone with Intel Machine must use BootCamp software, which is free from Apple and provide native Windows support on Mac. And flash devices from native XP.

For general use (make books and transfer) Parallels do it job well.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:56 AM   #15
andyafro
Connoisseur
andyafro doesn't litterandyafro doesn't litter

Device: sony reader prs-500
vista & connect software

i have a vista connect software version i found if anyone wants let me know
andyafro is offline   Reply With Quote