Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Will you purchase the extended warranty?
Yes 33 39.76%
No 50 60.24%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-23-2009, 09:29 AM   #1
kilofox
Connoisseur
kilofox doesn't litterkilofox doesn't litterkilofox doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
2-Year Extended Warranty for Kindle 2. Yea or Nay?

$65 .... Worth it? Will you purchase?
  • Protect your Kindle 2 for two full years -- Adds an additional year and more comprehensive protection than the one-year manufacturer's warranty, including coverage for accidental drops and damage (limited to one incident).
  • Offers one-time coverage for accidental drops and damage.
  • Hassle-free replacement of your Kindle 2 for any device failures during normal operation. Includes free shipping both ways, for your damaged and replacement Kindle.
  • Customer service and claim support available 6 am to 10 pm PT, 365 days a year -- call (877) 441-3836 for warranty claims.
  • 2-Year Extended Warranty for Kindle 2 available for any Kindle 2 shipped within the past 30 days. Only available to U.S.-based customers.
kilofox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:32 AM   #2
kilofox
Connoisseur
kilofox doesn't litterkilofox doesn't litterkilofox doesn't litter

I voted no... how ever, if I drop or damage it in the first 30 days, then heck yeah I will buy it!!

kilofox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:33 AM   #3
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

I voted yes and I did buy the extended warranty.

I figured that if I do drop it, sit on it, spill soda on it or the dog eats it, I am covered. Also since the warranty is good for 2 years, it will discourage me from buying the Kindle 3 next summer.
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:40 AM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I won't vote, since I don't have a Kindle, but I wish I had bought the extended warranty for my Reader (wasn't offered at Borders that I know of).
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:53 AM   #5
Milarepa
Enthusiast
Milarepa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Milarepa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Milarepa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
While I doubt I will be buying a Kindle 2 ( I am sony man myself.) My experience with extended warranties has generally not been a positive one. So I probably would not get it. Though it is interesting to see that they include the one time accidental drop or damage clause. I wonder how difficult they make it to claim?
Milarepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:57 AM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDad6 View Post
I figured that if I do drop it, sit on it, spill soda on it or the dog eats it, I am covered. Also since the warranty is good for 2 years, it will discourage me from buying the Kindle 3 next summer.
you may want to check on this. If it is an "extended warranty" it generally only covers what the standard warranty will cover which is manufactures defects. So, spilling soda on it is not such a defect.

Now, if it is an accidental damage insurance then that is different. But, these usually cost more than the warranty extender.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:06 PM   #7
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Offers one-time coverage for accidental drops and damage.

It seems that it is covered.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:07 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I did order it for both Kindles. I always get the max insurance for my computers (which has come in handy) and wanted to do the same for my Kindles.

I went with the insurance Amazon is offering over Square Trade (even though it is more expensive). I haven't been able to find any information of how ST has handled any damaged Kindles. Maybe no one with the ST insurance has damaged theirs yet. I just have more "trust" in Amazon's choice (rightly or wrongly).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:07 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDad6 View Post
Offers one-time coverage for accidental drops and damage.

It seems that it is covered.
Cool. Is there a charge to get a replacement? Sometimes warranty's charge your for replacements?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:10 PM   #10
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental

No charge. Even shipping is free:

Hassle-free replacement of your Kindle 2 for any device failures during normal operation. Includes free shipping both ways, for your damaged and replacement Kindle.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:42 PM   #11
spec2
Enthusiast
spec2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spec2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spec2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spec2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I never buy extended warranties and every consumer advocate I know of, similarly warns people they are a rip off, especially with consumer electronics. There are plenty of explanations for this online so Google if you are really interested.

Also almost all AMEX cards come with a warranty extension feature at no additional cost. Right now, when you buy w/ most AMEX cards your warranty is automatically doubled, up to two years. I've used this service on a computer before. It works.

Select Visa/MC cards (mostly Platinum and above) also have this same feature, though some require you to register your product with them when you purchase it. Check with your card issuer for details.

Accidental damage is only covered for the first 90 days on the AMEX, not sure about Visa/MC but still, you'd have to be pretty negligent to damage a Kindle. They are extremely durable.

Bottomline, spending 18% additional on the small odds you will damage your Kindle or it will go haywire doesn't seem all that prudent. It's like buying insurance when the dealer shows an ace. Everyone "in the know" knows that is a sucker bet except the sucker who bought it.
spec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:50 PM   #12
hogleg
Enthusiast
hogleg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hogleg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hogleg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hogleg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hogleg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hogleg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hogleg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hogleg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hogleg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hogleg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hogleg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanlin V3
It's worth it to me. I tend to break things. My HanLin survived exactly 2 months before I stopped to help an old lady get out of a snowdrift and cracked the screen. If you're going to baby it, then maybe it wont be worth it, but if you are gonna treat it like a real paperback book...take it everywhere and do everything, it's worth it.
hogleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:16 PM   #13
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I totally disagree, things like laptops and Kindles are much more prone to damage as they are portable, 4 out of 5 laptops I repair are due to poor handling by the owner, the average repair is $200. There are no parts for a Kindle so if its out of warranty you buy a new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spec2 View Post
I never buy extended warranties and every consumer advocate I know of, similarly warns people they are a rip off, especially with consumer electronics. There are plenty of explanations for this online so Google if you are really interested.

Bottomline, spending 18% additional on the small odds you will damage your Kindle or it will go haywire doesn't seem all that prudent. It's like buying insurance when the dealer shows an ace. Everyone "in the know" knows that is a sucker bet except the sucker who bought it.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:37 PM   #14
spec2
Enthusiast
spec2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spec2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spec2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spec2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
I totally disagree, things like laptops and Kindles are much more prone to damage as they are portable, 4 out of 5 laptops I repair are due to poor handling by the owner, the average repair is $200. There are no parts for a Kindle so if its out of warranty you buy a new one.
Respectfully, that is not my own experience (You see what a tricky argument it is to base it on personal on-off experiences). I've owned about 10 laptops since 1992. Only ONE had issues after the warranty expired (used the aforementioned AMEX to get it repaired for free). My experience is similar to other electronics like iPods (my original went kaplooy weeks after the Apple warranty expired)... AMEX gave me a brand new one. The other 6 I owned never had any issues.

I would suggest that, given the Kindle's high resale value, an owner would be better off selling their machine after a year and using the proceeds + the $65 that would have been spent on the warranty and just buy a whole new machine with a whole new battery and warranty. Better yet, it might even be a whole new model!
spec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:57 PM   #15
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Kindle resale value

Quote:
Originally Posted by spec2 View Post
I would suggest that, given the Kindle's high resale value, an owner would be better off selling their machine after a year and using the proceeds + the $65 that would have been spent on the warranty and just buy a whole new machine with a whole new battery and warranty. Better yet, it might even be a whole new model!
That is probably a good idea! Kindles are HOT,HOT, HOT on Ebay and are surely going to stay that way. Selling my barely used Sony 505 is paying for the majority of my new Kindle2 cost.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote