Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 09-22-2014, 08:12 PM   #1
Noha81
Noha81 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
Onyx Boox m96 or M92 for study?

Hello to everyone, i have to buy a 9.7'' ereader for the university, i'll use it for pdf's.
If i buy it new, a M92 will cost about 350$, but the new M96 will cost a very little more, about 400 $, so what's better?
I don't need android and so on, i need it only for reading pdf's, is the M96 much more better than the M92, for your experience? Is it faster or more responsive?
I can find a used M92 and it costs about 200 $...
Tell me in what M96 is better than the older version, and which you would buy ( i'm a student and don't have much money, but if the difference of the price is so little...)
Thank you very much
Noha81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 06:00 AM   #2
japinder
jp
japinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Onyx Boox Note Air, Remarkable 1, Kindle Oasis 2
Well, screen-wise, both are the same. Its just that M96 is a new device & going forward, Android is the platform of choice for Onyx, so you can expect more development on it, more/quicker bugfixes & features. As of now though, M92 has a bigger install/user base, but M96 should play catch-up with time. Currently, you might want only PDFs, but with time, you'll want more from the device & with a view towards the future, M96 looks a safe(r) bet.
japinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 06:50 AM   #3
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noha81 View Post
Hello to everyone, i have to buy a 9.7'' ereader for the university, i'll use it for pdf's.
If i buy it new, a M92 will cost about 350$, but the new M96 will cost a very little more, about 400 $, so what's better?
I don't need android and so on, i need it only for reading pdf's, is the M96 much more better than the M92, for your experience? Is it faster or more responsive?
I can find a used M92 and it costs about 200 $...
Tell me in what M96 is better than the older version, and which you would buy ( i'm a student and don't have much money, but if the difference of the price is so little...)
Thank you very much
They are yet to implement pdf exporting with merged annotations (in onyx neo reader) and multitasking, both featured in M92.

the-ebook-reader.com - M96 pdf review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD-BVPUqP7k

Last edited by markom; 09-23-2014 at 07:41 AM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:50 AM   #4
sinisterpenguin
sinisterpenguin began at the beginning.

Device: Oynx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by markom View Post
They are yet to implement pdf exporting with merged annotations (in onyx neo reader) and multitasking, both featured in M92.

the-ebook-reader.com - M96 pdf review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD-BVPUqP7k
Maybe just be a little wary of the e-reader store, I've been over a month without my e-reader thanks to them...
sinisterpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 04:02 AM   #5
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Icarus Illumina E653
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinisterpenguin View Post
Maybe just be a little wary of the e-reader store, I've been over a month without my e-reader thanks to them...
Is this your big revenge as a frustrated customer? Actually, your case was rather complicated. So your experience might not apply to other customers at all. Most of us here were having friendly communications with booxtor and enjoyed a very nice support.

Your comment is not really helpful in this thread, because ereader-store.de hasn't even been mentioned before you came here...

Last edited by tuxor; 09-24-2014 at 04:09 AM.
tuxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 05:23 AM   #6
sinisterpenguin
sinisterpenguin began at the beginning.

Device: Oynx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxor View Post
Is this your big revenge as a frustrated customer? Actually, your case was rather complicated. So your experience might not apply to other customers at all. Most of us here were having friendly communications with booxtor and enjoyed a very nice support.

Your comment is not really helpful in this thread, because ereader-store.de hasn't even been mentioned before you came here...
Hi, it's not revenge, just a practical means by which to wake up booxtor to get my e-reader back. Hopefully I will next week (it's been away since August 8th). I know he's running a small company, and I know others have had good relations with him, that's why I was surprised this happened to me.

My case was not really complicated at all. There was a mistake. It was not fixed promptly. Anyway, apologies for going off topic, feel free to delete it Mods.
sinisterpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 12:41 PM   #7
Noha81

thank you to all

For your opinions. Now I'm waiting for the release of m96 white version. But look at some m92s used, if find it at a very good price ( 200$)

Only another question, is the Onyx much better than kindle dx? For reading pdf, i mean
The only thing that I don't like in the Onyx is the necessity to use the pen no the screen
Old 09-27-2014, 01:03 PM   #8
mmmrqs
mmmrqs began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M96
Quote:
For your opinions. Now I'm waiting for the release of m96 white version. But look at some m92s used, if find it at a very good price ( 200$)

Only another question, is the Onyx much better than kindle dx? For reading pdf, i mean
The only thing that I don't like in the Onyx is the necessity to use the pen no the screen
If you intend to order it from e-reader-store.de try talking to Booxtor and see what he can do for you in regards to the white framed model. Hint: Perhaps you won't need to wait longer.

mmmrqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 03:54 PM   #9
Noha81

hi

Who is booxstor? A user of this forum?
I think to buy the m96 in one or two months, price isn' t low for me, so i'm waiting for having the money. I hope for that time that the white version will be in stock, on aliexpress i can already see it, but I will buy inside Europe , it's safer
Old 09-27-2014, 04:36 PM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
I think to buy the m96 in one or two months, price isn' t low for me, so i'm waiting for having the money. I hope for that time that the white version will be in stock, on aliexpress i can already see it, but I will buy inside Europe , it's safer

SUMMARY:

A) Booxter is a dealer who posts here and contributes to the forums.

B) Most people who have ordered from him have been very happy.

C) A few people who have ordered from him have not been happy.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 05:02 AM   #11
japinder
jp
japinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Onyx Boox Note Air, Remarkable 1, Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
SUMMARY:

A) Booxter is a dealer who posts here and contributes to the forums.

B) Most people who have ordered from him have been very happy.

C) A few people who have ordered from him have not been happy.
Looks like a script okay-ed by a lawyer. (Stick to the facts, no personal judgements, not even by inference)
japinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:37 AM   #12
mmmrqs
mmmrqs began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M96
Quote:
He is both a user of this forum, a spokesperson from ereader-store.de and who regularly publishes firmware updates for M96 and T68 devices here in another thread, like yesterday for example.

You may want to browse the few other threads regarding the M96. There is even news about a new batch coming soon with bigger stylus sporting an eraser function (button?). Sounds good.

Cheers.
mmmrqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:14 PM   #13
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:

If we install KPV reader thereon, Kindle DX is as good for reading A4 pdf as M92/96, but while we can only underscore ocr-ed pdf with KPV reader, M92/96 can do a lot more at annotating and scribbling using its pen and virtual keyboard.

If color (at reading or annotating) is important to us or fast annotating, fast browsing, fast zooming etc. then both will not be good enough, nevertheless, we can still read on them while simultaneously using tablet when there is need for color recognition or faster browsing, zooming, annotation, search, dictionaries etc.

So, those who want to read A5/A4/letter sized pdfs on e-ink screen because of an eye-fatigue or for reading outdoors in the sun, can do that without problem on Kindle DX(using KPV) or M92/96, if they don't mind using auxiliary tablet when needed (there are good 7-8" tablets under 300 grams already).

Regrettably, that is something not likely to be changed in the next couple of years, because even 13" e-ink will still be without color, slow compared to tablets, expensive and probably without front light.

I guess only some reflective color LCD tablet with digitizer pen can become The Device, before fast enough and affordable 13" color eink (hopefully) becomes a reality in 2020.

Last edited by markom; 09-29-2014 at 11:03 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 07:41 AM   #14
IluvToRead
Enthusiast
IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.IluvToRead is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Onyx Boox m92 - Kindle 4
Yes my m92 got me through uni. I've nearly finished, and it was a Godsend. Loved every minute. I have a Kindle 4 as well, but I needed the m92 for the pdfs.

I think the m96 has a little faster CPU, and you can also put a Kindle app on the m96.

For eBooks from amazon the Kindle is great. There's the new 300dpi Kindle Voyage coming out which I can't wait to order. Even though I've finished uni (almost).

One great thing about the m92, is that it holds all of the pdfs I've used for uni. Talk about making life easier.

If I were buying now, I'd get an m96.
IluvToRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:01 AM   #15
janek
Groupie
janek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Boox m92
I think whatever you choose, you should NOT make any decisions based on promised or "to be implemented" features of any of the readers. Onyx - and its dealers - proved to be notoriously unreliable when it comes to fulfilling such promises.
janek is offline   Reply With Quote