Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-22-2012, 11:41 PM   #1
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Calibre does not recognize Kindle Fire HD on Mac Leopard

Calibre recognizes my Kindle DX, and Kindle Keyboard, but it does not recognize my Kindle Fire HD. Help please. I really want to be able to plus in USB because my library is large. I was emailing to Kindle but I would prefer not doing that.

I am considering a Kindle Paperwhite. Does Calibre and Mac Leopard recognize the Paperwhite? If Calibre doesn't recognize that either I will not get it.

Again I have the latest Calibre and it is on Apple Mac Leopard computer.

Thank you.

Last edited by new; 10-22-2012 at 11:46 PM.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:58 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....kindle-fire-hd

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 10-29-2012 at 10:26 PM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:01 AM   #3
new
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Hi Kovidgoyal,
I read that but do not understand this as it doesn't mention Kindle Fire HD.

What are you saying? Thanks.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:03 AM   #4
new

Quote:
Note
from your website:

Amazon have removed the ability to manipulate collections completely in their newer models, like the Kindle Touch and Kindle Fire, making even the above plugin useless. If you really want the ability to manage collections on your Kindle via a USB connection, we encourage you to complain to Amazon about it, or get a reader where this is supported, like the SONY Readers.

This doesn't say it doesn't recognize Kindle Fire. I am confused.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:25 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The Kindle Fire HD is an Android device.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:23 AM   #6
new

Quote:
The Kindle Fire HD is an Android device.
Wow I really need someone to tell me if Kindle Fire HD will ever be able to (if it isn't now) access the Calibre Library via USB and not the over complicated methods of instructions linked above?

I just don't get it, I have read the link again and again.

Thanks!
Old 10-23-2012, 06:53 AM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
Wow I really need someone to tell me if Kindle Fire HD will ever be able to (if it isn't now) access the Calibre Library via USB and not the over complicated methods of instructions linked above?

I just don't get it, I have read the link again and again.

Thanks!
Not on a Mac. The method that is used to connect to Android tablets via USB (the MTP driver) only works on Windows Vista/7/8 and Linux, but not on MacOS.

I would think that your best option would be to consider using the Calibre Companion application and a wifi connection? However you may want to wait for Chaley to make a statement about whether that should work for the combination of the Kindle Fire HD and Mac OS before you try that route.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:12 PM   #8
new

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Not on a Mac. The method that is used to connect to Android tablets via USB (the MTP driver) only works on Windows Vista/7/8 and Linux, but not on MacOS.

I would think that your best option would be to consider using the Calibre Companion application and a wifi connection? However you may want to wait for Chaley to make a statement about whether that should work for the combination of the Kindle Fire HD and Mac OS before you try that route.
Thanks for responding. The Calibre Companion says not for Kindle Fire HD on Amazon.

Will the paperwhite have the issue of Calibre not responding?

Who is Chaley? Why has no other posts mentioned this problem? I can't be the only one with a Mac and a Kindle Fire and Calibre.

I have a paperwhite on order, if this is going to be an issue I will cancel as I don't want to be locked down like that.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:47 PM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@new: No issues with the PW (it's a standard mass storage device, it's not using MTP).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:29 PM   #10
ellett
Connoisseur
ellett began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Chaley is one of the authors of Calibre Companion and a major contributor to calibre.

The Amazon readers, Fire, Paperwhite etc. are very popular but they're all locked to the Amazon ecosystem. A more open alternative to the Paperwhite would be the Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight or the Kobo Glo. I can vouch for the Simple Touch as connecting perfectly as a USB device. All of the e-ink readers, including the Paperwhite, still use USB connections, so read the other threads about Paperwhite issues and then decide if the device is for you.

A more open alternative to the Fire would be any full Android tablet. I have the Nexus 7 and while it too is an mtp device, it runs Calibre Companion, which is both fast and much more functional than a simple USB connection.

If you are invested in Amazon books, those are DRM locked to Amazon and you can't read them on other e-ink readers, such as the Simple Touch or Kobo Glo. You can install Kindle software on any full Android tablet and read Amazon books using that software, while there are several other reading products, both free and paid, that you can also install and use to read unlocked books and books DRMed from other stores.

Last edited by ellett; 10-23-2012 at 07:40 PM.
ellett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:30 PM   #11
new

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@new: No issues with the PW (it's a standard mass storage device, it's not using MTP).
Thank you! I almost cancelled my order. I really want a PW even though I know about the light at the bottom.

You have one right? Are the fonts big enough? If you convert a book to a bigger font does it go to your paperwhite? It won't on my KFHD. Do you like your PW?

Thanks.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:28 AM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I can't be the only one with a Mac and a Kindle Fire and Calibre.
This is a problem with OSX or Windows XP and any Android device that uses MTP to connect via the USB port. However for every other android device in this category the android app calibre companion fills the gap and allows folks to connect their device wireless straight to calibre as any other device would connect via USB. Unfortunately Amazon has seen fit not to allow this app for the Kindle Fire at this time.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:16 PM   #13
new

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
This is a problem with OSX or Windows XP and any Android device that uses MTP to connect via the USB port. However for every other android device in this category the android app calibre companion fills the gap and allows folks to connect their device wireless straight to calibre as any other device would connect via USB. Unfortunately Amazon has seen fit not to allow this app for the Kindle Fire at this time.
So any other "Windows" product above XP would work? Why not Mac Leopard?

Rather short sided of the developer if you ask me.

I wasn't impressed by his rather cryptic postings.

I am suppose to figure out what "collections" mean? Isn't that above the regular library?

Last edited by new; 10-24-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:32 PM   #14
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:

The reason it does not work on MacOS is that Apple do not include the required underlying functionality in MacOS. You are welcome to ask them why they do not do so
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:51 PM   #15
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:

This is a limitation of the operating system (OS) not a limitation of this program. If you want MTP support ask Apple to include it or go with a OS like Linux or newer versions of Windows.

Quote:
I wasn't impressed by his rather cryptic postings.
I don't understand what is cryptic about the area of the FAQ he linked to.

The link he sent you to is titled "How do I use calibre with my Android phone/tablet?" which explains how to use your android device with calibre and clearly states the limitations of newer android devices.

Quote:
Note: With newer Android devices, the USB connection is only supported on Windows Vista and newer and Linux. If you are on Windows XP or OS X, you should use one of the wireless connection methods.
The FAQ further explains the wireless connection methods you can use.

Quote:
I am suppose to figure out what "collections" mean? Isn't that above the regular library?
You have to venture quite a ways down the page, and away from the area he sent you to, before a FAQ item about collections pops up (this is not pertinent to your question.) I guess the problem you and other new folks to the Kindle Fire run into is not knowing that you have purchased an android tablet.

Good Reading.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 10-24-2012 at 07:58 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote