Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-22-2012, 05:27 AM   #1
eBookBug
eBookBug began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3rd Generation
Kindle 3 died

My Kindle went dead this morning. I live in India. It is out of warranty. Initially the slide to switch did not respond. The screen was stuck at screensaver. PC did not detect it either. I removed the back cover. Took out the battery. Replaced it. Put the back cover. Now the PC detects it. Screen is totally blank. When I try to restart it by holding the switch for 20 seconds, after 7-8 seconds the green light flashes three times. Nothing happens. Is my battery dead? I bought it in August 2011 through a middleman shopyourworld.com

Suggest me some more troubleshooting.

I am considering replacing its battery. It'll cost me about 35$ and still would not guarantee if it will work.

Is there any way to detect if my battery has died or the something's wrong with the display.
eBookBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:07 AM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Did you try charging it for several hours? Better to charge on a wall outlet than a computer. Then try again. It does sound like the battery is dead. Whether it is just drained, or completely non-functional is the question.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2012, 12:23 AM   #3
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
If it has a little hole in the back stick a paperclip in the hole until you hear a click. This is how the Kobo did a hard reset.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:58 AM   #4
judeandrob
judeandrob began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle keyboard
Our Kindle died from sunstroke - I think the ink boiled.
Amazon replaced it for 40GBP as it was out of warranty, after we went through the remote diagnosis with them to prove it was dead.
Try this:
Plug in and charge for several hours.
With it still plugged in, press and hold startup slider for more than 30 seconds, much longer than it says in the manual. You should see the screen react and the device will hard reboot.
Wait many minutes for the reboot to take place. See the screen changing as it progresses.
If successfull you will see your list of books empty to start with then populating.
Another thing to try if your pc detects the device is to download the latest version of the device software and try to install from the pc - not always possible as usually you drag the download onto your Kindle and load it from there. Not much use if you can't see that screen.
Jude and Rob
judeandrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:11 AM   #5
eBookBug

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Did you try charging it for several hours? Better to charge on a wall outlet than a computer. Then try again. It does sound like the battery is dead. Whether it is just drained, or completely non-functional is the question.
Yup charged for several hours till the light turned green. No Luck.
Advert
Old 09-24-2012, 05:53 AM   #6
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Well, it seems you'll need a new one.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:20 AM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eBookBug View Post
Yup charged for several hours till the light turned green. No Luck.
If you can see it from the PC, perhaps this thread will help: Simple debricking method for K5-Touch, K4-Mini, & K3-Keyboard
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:10 AM   #8
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I recommend a call or email to batteries plus before you spend any dollars on the issue. They seem to be the batteries expert, there web site is batteriesplus.com as obviously as it seems.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:27 AM   #9
eBookBug

What does the twice blinking of green light after 7-8 seconds of holding it to restart indicates?

Can I use some sort of testing device to see if the battery is dead?

Please Help/
Old 10-15-2012, 04:03 AM   #10
Popup
Zealot
Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: kindle3, paperwhite-2012, Oasis-2016, paperwhite-2019
Your problem sounds very similar to what I experienced recently and posted about here. There were some good advice both there and in this thread. In the end it didn't help me, but maybe one of those tips might debrick your Kindle? It's definitely worth a try!

(I second 'charge for a long time'. That was definitely one of my problems, but in the end not the ultimate cause. And long in this case means 'several days'. The SoC can get into a funny state where it pretty much just trickle-charges the battery, which can literally take several days.)

[aside]
The green LED can behave in weird ways. I never quite figured out what it means. I did see the 'green flashes' (two or three times) that you describe, and I also went through a phase of very slow flashing (5s on, 5s off, repeat).

Is the LED behaviour documented anywhere?
[/aside]
Popup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:10 AM   #11
eBookBug

Again the Kindle has gone to the No response at all state. :/

The Power switch does not respond and there is no green or yellow light.

I was going to proceed with the debricking and was very hopeful. Can someone please help me to get it back to some state where I can proceed with De-Bricking.

I tried taking out the battery and putting it again. Did not work.

As of now, putting it to charge.