Notices

Old 08-19-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
fiddlethebook
fiddlethebook began at the beginning.

Device: none
Calibre on Galaxy S3

Hi everyone, desparetly need help.

Situation:

1 Latest version of Calibre on Windows 7 PC.
2 Latest Calibre App. running on Samsung Galaxy S3 Android Phone.

Problem:

When the phone is connected to the PC, Calibre cant see the device. Windows however can see the device.

Have managed to get the Calibe App on the phone to communicate wirelessly with Calibre on the PC. It appears to dowload a book, but wont open it.

fiddlethebook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:02 AM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Save the books to disc in Calibre, then when you connect using a cable you can copy over the saved books to the S3.

The perhaps easiest way to get books from Calibre to an Android device is to save books to disc on the computer, then share the folder with the books on the network. From the Android device you then use a file manager to connect over wifi to the shared folder and copy the files.

I use ES File Explorer.

Another way is to save the books, using a card reader, on a removable memory card that you then insert in your device. The S3 has a MicroSD slot that can be used for that. You could also transfer music and other media that way.

Last edited by Adoby; 08-20-2012 at 12:12 AM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2012, 04:37 AM   #3
dura
Groupie
dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O (2th edition), Kindle PW11
I use a galaxy Note; I do not use the Calibre app.
I connect the note to my PC through USB using USB Mass Storage.
Then I choose connect to map on Calibre, and browse to my books map on the Note; from there synchronisation is easy, doing whatever you want with 'books not on the device'/'not in the library' from Calibre.
dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:23 AM   #4
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
As far as I know, the Calibre app (it is not an official calibre app) for android (and other os) is just to connect and select the books you want to read on your phone/tablet, they are not reading apps. You need a separate app to such as Aldiko, Mantano etc to actually read the ebook.
By the way, these readers also do what the Calibre apps do and allow you to download your books wirelessly from your computer on your home network... No need for the separate app without the reading feature.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:27 PM   #5
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
'Calibre Companion' is the official Android app for Calibre inasmuch as it has been written by one of the main Calibre developers (chaley) and his son. It was released in beta-test very recently. There are lots of threads about it in the Calibre - Devices subforum.

I don't know whether the OP was referring to Calibre Companion or a different app.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert