Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-27-2011, 01:46 PM   #1
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
Kobo Touch weight

Consumer Reports has their favorable "first look" review of the Kobo Touch posted today, and they are the first reviewers I've seen to point out the puzzling weight discrepancy in the specifications: the Touch actually weights 6.5 oz instead of the stated 7.05 oz (confirmed on my electronic postal scale). I wonder why Kobo hasn't corrected their specifications, given that lighter weight would seem to be an advantage.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:05 PM   #2
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
Does it get heavier when it's loaded up with books?
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2011, 06:17 PM   #3
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
That might be it. Or it could be that the battery holds more electrons when it's charged.

Maybe they allowed for the average weight of fingerprints that would build up on the touch screen?

Or maybe they included the cable in the weight...
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:26 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I think it's the electrons Better try weighing it with a flat battery, and then again with a full one!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:03 PM   #5
m_bisson
Groupie
m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch :)
Black absorbs more light, so the extra photons and gamma rays add to the weight. Weigh a white one and it will be less.

It's just science.
m_bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2011, 11:17 PM   #6
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
black one fully charged is 6.5 (184g)...just checked;

seriously though, it's always possible that the weight they have listed is pre-production model and made a couple of refinements when they went into production; in particular, the battery might have been lightened a bit.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:39 PM   #7
Wildgift
Connoisseur
Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
WOW this thing is light compared to my ipad!!
Wildgift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:29 AM   #8
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJames View Post
That might be it. Or it could be that the battery holds more electrons when it's charged.

Maybe they allowed for the average weight of fingerprints that would build up on the touch screen?

Or maybe they included the cable in the weight...
Could it be that the consumer reports scale is not calibrated correctly?
That seems to be the more likely answer.. but I dont know im kinda likeing the idea of the books adding weight.

does anyone else want to weigh in here?

regards

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:16 AM   #9
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
I just weighed my Kobo Touch and got the sames results as Psyke & FJames - 184 grams or 6.5 oz.

It also says on the Kobo website that 1 GB of memory is available to store books whereas on my reader it says 1.4 GB.

Last edited by Joe563; 06-28-2011 at 01:31 AM. Reason: More Info
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:03 AM   #10
TedJ
Groupie
TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe563 View Post
It also says on the Kobo website that 1 GB of memory is available to store books whereas on my reader it says 1.4 GB.
AFAIK the Touch ships with 2 GB of flash, but some of that is reserved for the operating system. The reported 1 GB available for books is erring on the side of caution on Kobo's part.
TedJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:20 AM   #11
portablejim
Enthusiast
portablejim has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Touch Black
At least they don't exaggerate (at least this bit of) the information about the reader to be more favourable.
portablejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:12 AM   #12
know-one
Connoisseur
know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kOBO
...I was holding it on my scale...and it weighs 185lbs.
know-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:13 AM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I hope you got that unit in the store in person, and not via shipping! I hate to think of the poor delivery man with a 185 lb package!
Old 06-28-2011, 09:30 AM   #14
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedJ View Post
AFAIK the Touch ships with 2 GB of flash, but some of that is reserved for the operating system. The reported 1 GB available for books is erring on the side of caution on Kobo's part.

Actually, it's funny, because the chapters site actually reports the device as having 2gb of on board mem. (although with a disclaimer saying that 1gb is used for ebooks).

for those who don't know (and a bit of rambling here), 1gb is 1024mb, although, in most cases, you'll usually end up with less than what is stated, so 1gb will usually translate down to 900ish mb of usable space. 1400 would suggest 1.5gb, with 118mb being used up by system and support files., so 1282mb left for books...

The fact that my average sideloaded epub is about 350kb, I should be able to fit well over 3500 books on the device alone, which should more than satisfy most people, and if not, they can use a 32 gb sd card for more space.... if they use sideloaded books (and this doesn't include DRM'd books loaded by ADE)...

The interesting part is this; the average size of my books in KEPUB format is almost 6mb (smalles is just over a mb and the largest is a whopping 9mb)....This would suggest that if I were to use KEPUB's alone, I would be able to fit a grand total of 213 books. To reach up to 1000, they would have to average 1.2mb in size. I have 3 out of the 19 KEPUB books on my device that fit in that size bracket

So unless my math is wrong, which it could very well be, 1000 books is unrealistic, but because they use the old "up to" wording like the DSL companies have done in the past, they cover their a**es

That all being said, I still really don't have any issues with this as the amount of memory, for my use, is more than sufficient; however, it would be nice if they had a disclaimer.

Last edited by Psyke; 06-28-2011 at 09:33 AM.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:39 AM   #15
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Interesting. I have 57 kEpubs ranging from 227,890 to 12,162,967 for a total of 152,617,814 and an average of 2,677,506.

Sooty has 186 ranging from 67,493 to 7,863,080 for a total of 198,026,640 and an average of 1,064,659.

So in her case, she would be close to 950 books; me on the other hand would be closer to 375.