Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-15-2011, 10:48 AM   #1
shorttimer1
Enthusiast
shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shorttimer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB X3 Kindle Fire HD 32GB
Best Business Decision of the decade - Kindle App? From CNNMoney

From CNNMoney - Interesting article discussing how brave they were to put Kindle reading apps on virtually any device.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/02/15/tech..._mwc/index.htm
shorttimer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:31 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm not sure I see the point of this article. Mobipocket Reader was equally available on a huge range of mobile devices years earlier! The Kindle App is simply an ongoing development of Mobi Reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2011, 01:30 PM   #3
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
But Mobi wasn't trying to sell compatible hardware. Amazon's offering an iPad app means I could buy an iPad and not need a Kindle and still be able to access the vast Amazon library.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:34 PM   #4
mikeayers
Zealot
mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 10thGen, Kobo Clara HD
but sadly, not on my linux platforms.....
mikeayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:43 PM   #5
thename
Zealot
thename has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thename has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thename has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thename has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-700, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
But Mobi wasn't trying to sell compatible hardware. Amazon's offering an iPad app means I could buy an iPad and not need a Kindle and still be able to access the vast Amazon library.
One wonders for how long, though. I am fairly certain a 30% cut of purchases made in the Kindle app may make iOS a far less appealing delivery method ...
thename is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2011, 02:51 PM   #6
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
I fail to see how this is either bold or one of the best business decisions of the decade (making the Kindle in the first place may qualify). More sensationalist journalism.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:01 PM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
The decade is still too young to call any "best of" yet.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:05 PM   #8
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
and how is this any different than Barnes and Noble with nook app ( which is head and shoulders better than the kindle app) the kobo app, Google books app?
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:37 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The Kindle apps are replacements for the MobiPocket apps, and by making them distinct Amazon was able to ditch a lot of old pocketable devices. This was a plus because they could target larger screens exclusively. It did leave older devices in the lurch though.

They were perhaps brave when first introducing the iThing apps, because at that time they were heavily discounting ebooks and many comenters thought device sales were subsidizing ebook sales. I say perhaps because I was never convinced they were loosing money overall on ebooks.

B&N has cloned the Amazon approach, they also had eReader apps that are not the same as B&N apps. They do still support eReader DRMed ebooks (I think), but that is partially due to their DRM scheme being password based.

Kobo has a distinct approach to apps, which do not read the same ebook files as used on EInk readers but rather a Kobo specific "mobile" format. In a sense they are the last holdout of the old way of doing apps.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:33 PM   #10
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm not sure I see the point of this article. Mobipocket Reader was equally available on a huge range of mobile devices years earlier! The Kindle App is simply an ongoing development of Mobi Reader.
My thought as well, Harry.

But market conditions have changed, so what wasn't a big deal then, is one now.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:14 PM   #11
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeayers View Post
but sadly, not on my linux platforms.....
http://lifehacker.com/#!5406505/run-...inux-with-wine

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...tion&iId=10597
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote