Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 01-21-2011, 10:07 AM   #16
jenieliser
Groupie
jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019, Kobo Libra H2O
I'll second Wuthering Heights. I've always meant to read it, but never did. But I'll be quite happy with either Bronte nominations
jenieliser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:26 AM   #17
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When did we agree on romance for 2011?

Can we find a category that actually doesn't have a number of people saying no to?
Nothing wrong with romance, even if you don't personally read them, lots of others do! And come on, Romeo, we all need a little change up now and then!
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2011, 10:53 AM   #18
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
I also vote for Wuthering Heights. I downloaded the audio version from Audible.com for $3.95! Nearly 15 hours unabridged on my iPad to listen to while driving or when outside on a sunny day. Nice!

Wuthering Heights Page
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:08 AM   #19
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
How about a D H Lawrence - Sons and Lovers or Lady Chatterley's Lover?

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:19 AM   #20
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I second Second Sight. It sounds like a nice juicy bosom-beaver!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2011, 11:32 AM   #21
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When did we agree on romance for 2011?

Can we find a category that actually doesn't have a number of people saying no to?
Darn, my guess was 13 this month.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:38 AM   #22
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You know, there are supposed to be a bunch of free Harlequins out there .....
Old 01-21-2011, 01:19 PM   #23
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
I would like to nominate "The Remains of the Day" by Kazuo Ishiguro.
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:32 PM   #24
obs20
Wizard
obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 600, Nook ST, Toshiba Excite 10.1 AT 300
I would like to nominate: Super Sad True Love Story by Gary Shteyngart

Quote:
Amazon Best of the Month, August 2010: Welcome to the day after tomorrow. In Gary Shteyngart's near-future New York, the dollar has been pegged to the yuan, the American Restoration Authority is on high security alert, and Lenny Abramov, the middle-aged possessor of a decent credit score but an absurdly low--and embarrassingly public--Male Hotness rating, is in love with the young Eunice Park. Like many of the clients of his employer, the Post-Human Services division of the Staatling-Wapachung Corporation, he'd also like to live forever, but all he really wants is to love Eunice. And for a time, despite the traditional challenges of their gaps in age and ethnicity and the more modern hurdle of an oppressively networked culture that makes your most private identity as transparent as the Onionskin jeans that are all the rage, he does. Super Sad True Love Story is as corrosively hilarious as you'd expect from the satirist of Absurdistan and The Russian Debutante's Handbook, but what may surprise you are the moments when the satire hits bedrock and the story becomes--no air quotes required--sad, true, and very much a love story. --Tom Nissley
obs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:55 PM   #25
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by lila55 View Post
I would like to nominate "The Remains of the Day" by Kazuo Ishiguro.
I'll second Remains of the Day. I think were pushing the definition of "Romance", but that's fine by me.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:03 PM   #26
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAstoria View Post
I also vote for Wuthering Heights. I downloaded the audio version from Audible.com for $3.95!
The ebook version is in the MR library. Honestly, it sounds pretty boring.

If you really want to get emotions running high in the book club, Lolita would be a good choice.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:06 PM   #27
VioletVal
Connoisseur
VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'VioletVal can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
I was going to second The Time Traveller's Wife, but then I realized it's not available as an ebook. Is that a requirement?
I would assume, since the rules make no mention of restricting book nominations to ebooks, that nominating any book would be okay. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
VioletVal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:13 PM   #28
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
I thought Romance novels all had a Fabio lookalikes on the cover and the word "throbbing" on every other page.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:23 PM   #29
DixieGal
Hi There!

I can't read pbooks.

Time travelers wife is unavailable just the same way the Harry Potter books are unavailable. They seem to represent a particularly rewarding challenge.

Look for the
Old 01-21-2011, 03:23 PM   #30
paganpete
paganpete began at the beginning.

Device: Binatone Readme Daily
Thanks but no thanks on this theme - I have the feelings of a stone I am told :-)
paganpete is offline   Reply With Quote