Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-25-2011, 04:24 PM   #31
kdoc
Enthusiast
kdoc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
I basically agree with your points; I've pretty much come to the same conclusions. I'm left with fact that an E-Ink reader is better for reading, especially outdoors, and that I have no idea if this is the best tablet otherwise. And when in subway etc. I can't connect, so I just need the "books" and those can be carried lighter in the e-ink Kindles.
ahhh: decisions, decisions, decisions

kdoc
kdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:05 PM   #32
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Simple solution for me: use the 3rd Gen Kindle Keyboard for bright sun and the Kindle Fire for indoor use.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:30 PM   #33
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It was never advertised as readable in sunlight. In fact, the screen type is one that's not. There's no way to read in direct sunlight with the Fire.

The only tablet that I know of that should be able to be readable in the sun is the Vox. But there could be others that I am just not aware of that are.
Can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree, you're right

For outdoor reading, eink devices, period! There is nothing better at this moment.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:10 PM   #34
timezone
Addict
timezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Windows Phone7, Kindle Fire
Consider the tradeoff. Now you can read the Fire when there is no light. Not easy to read an eReader in bed or during power outages. It does offer another option. People can huddle around the Fire on cold nights.
timezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:28 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by timezone View Post
Consider the tradeoff. Now you can read the Fire when there is no light. Not easy to read an eReader in bed or during power outages. It does offer another option. People can huddle around the Fire on cold nights.
Why are you making some incorrect blanket statements? I can read with my 650 in bed and/or when there is a power outage very easily. I have a light cover and the light allows me to read in the dark without a problem. Kindles and other readers have light covers too you can get for reading in low/no light situations.

As for reading in bed, I do have a lamp on my nightstand. So if I am able to use that, I do. If I can't, I use the light in my light cover.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:34 PM   #36
timezone
Addict
timezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheese

Just having fun with the discussion. Sometimes we need to lighten up the discussion. Having said that some people feel it can be a deficit when one is required to add an additional light to a reader. I could say the same thing about the Fire. Cover the Fire with a blanket when on the beach.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:43 PM   #37
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by timezone View Post
Just having fun with the discussion. Sometimes we need to lighten up the discussion. Having said that some people feel it can be a deficit when one is required to add an additional light to a reader. I could say the same thing about the Fire. Cover the Fire with a blanket when on the beach.
I, for one, realized that.

I also like the 'Huddle around the Fire' too.

BTW: Karma to you for that

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:46 PM   #38
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why are you making some incorrect blanket statements? I can read with my 650 in bed and/or when there is a power outage very easily. I have a light cover and the light allows me to read in the dark without a problem. Kindles and other readers have light covers too you can get for reading in low/no light situations.

As for reading in bed, I do have a lamp on my nightstand. So if I am able to use that, I do. If I can't, I use the light in my light cover.
What if you got trapped in a cellar, at night, with no light sources at all, and all you had was the Kindle Fire and a Kindle 3? Bet you'd be glad to have the Fire then
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:54 PM   #39
timezone
Addict

Thanks for the Karma.

It is funny when we, and I include myself, consider a negative for a device. We often forget the other device might have a negative that offsets the first negative. Maybe it is only a negative when it conflicts with ones lifestyle. Life is funny that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
I, for one, realized that.

I also like the 'Huddle around the Fire' too.

BTW: Karma to you for that

Carol
Old 11-27-2011, 11:47 PM   #40
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ectoplasm View Post
What if you got trapped in a cellar, at night, with no light sources at all, and all you had was the Kindle Fire and a Kindle 3? Bet you'd be glad to have the Fire then
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:53 AM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ectoplasm View Post
I'd use my Kindle 3. The lighted cover it's in would last far longer than the battery life of the Fire. Plus, I could use its 3G connection to summon help .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:28 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'd use my Kindle 3. The lighted cover it's in would last far longer than the battery life of the Fire. Plus, I could use its 3G connection to summon help .
We're trapping you in a 3G dead zone. Good luck calling for help.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:34 PM   #43
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think I had the lighted cover excluded when I specified "no light sources at all"
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:06 PM   #44
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I think I would use a Morse code book, written in braille so I could tap out a message requesting help on the cellar pipes.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:10 PM   #45
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdoc View Post
BUT let's think about this: here's a Kindle--the main purpose of Kindles has been reading books! People read books outside. And yet it's impossible.
When the KF was announced, I was under the illusion that it was for reading books, too. And for the same reason as you.

But as the reports started rolling in, it became obvious that the KF is a Kindle only in the same sense that an iPhone is a Kindle - you can, if you wish, read ebooks on it, but that's not its main purpose, or even its secondary purpose.

The KF is a front end for the Amazon store. Calling it a Kindle is a misrepresentation by Amazon. It would be as if Sears & Roebuck held itself out as itself a shoe store. Shoes & Roebuck, maybe. Sure, S&R sells shoes, but it's not a dedicated shoe store like Footlocker, for instance.

(It would have been more accurate for the KF to be called the Amazon Fire.)
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote