Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 10-02-2010, 05:36 AM   #1
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International, Pocketbook Color
Unhappy Kindle4Android keeps crashing

Hello,
I've noticed that my Kindle App for Android on HTC Desire keeps almost always crashing when going out of a book and to the "Home" screen. No matter if I use the "back"arrow or "menu -> home".

In comparison, the older version crashed maybe 50-60% of the time whereas the newest version crashes at least 90% of the time.

Here I was thinking "A new version, great, it might fix the occational crashes", then i turned ot to "Not-so-great, this crappy app crashes all the time".

Anyone having the same problem?

I think I'll send a note to Amazon, but then again, I only have 1 -one- purchased book (which does not crash), so is it the (lousy) formatting of feedbook or calibre screwing up my app/phone/android?

Btw, all files loaded to Kindle4Android are .mobi and .prc
The Kindle4PC has yet to crash.
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:45 AM   #2
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeridr View Post
Hello,
I've noticed that my Kindle App for Android on HTC Desire keeps almost always crashing when going out of a book and to the "Home" screen. No matter if I use the "back"arrow or "menu -> home".

In comparison, the older version crashed maybe 50-60% of the time whereas the newest version crashes at least 90% of the time.

Here I was thinking "A new version, great, it might fix the occational crashes", then i turned ot to "Not-so-great, this crappy app crashes all the time".

Anyone having the same problem?

I think I'll send a note to Amazon, but then again, I only have 1 -one- purchased book (which does not crash), so is it the (lousy) formatting of feedbook or calibre screwing up my app/phone/android?

Btw, all files loaded to Kindle4Android are .mobi and .prc
The Kindle4PC has yet to crash.
No problems whatsoever on Dell Streak with (ported from O2 UK) 2.1 Android in the Kindle app.
I've got about 250 eBooks from Amazon in my app. No 3rd party sources. I've opened about 40% of my books so far...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:01 AM   #3
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Anyone having the same problem
Yes (on my Moto Droid), I'm seeing crashes under that circumstance with the new version, but not nearly the same high percentage of the time as you're experiencing. The latest update is definitely less stable for me than the previous version, though.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:02 PM   #4
sbtx99
Zealot
sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi; Red PRS-650; iPod Touch; Android phone
My Kindle for Android app force closes on exit from non-Amazon books. Happens all the time for books that were side-loaded into the app. And it only seems to have the problem when the reading location changes. If I open a side-loaded book by mistake and get out of it right away, without changing the reading location, there's no problem.

Also, no problem with any of the books that were purchased and downloaded from Amazon.
sbtx99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 03:52 PM   #5
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@sbtx99:
Yes. That's exactly what I experience. I've done some more "research" and found out that "in-and-out" is no problem whereas the "in-do-something-then-out" makes a forced shutdown or crash.
Quite annoying when pause reading a non-Amazon book and upon resuming one has to go through the whole "Home TOC" to continue.

Oh, well. I'll probably just send all non-Amazon books to my FBReader on the phone then. Hopefully the Kindle 3 does not crash the same way.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:48 PM   #6
sbtx99
Zealot
sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

@Bikeridr,

I've read a couple side-loaded books on my Kindle 3 and haven't had any problems with them on the actual Kindle device. It was only when I tried to read them on the Kindle4Android app that I had a problem.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:14 AM   #7
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer

Thank you for the answers.
I am now only 7 days away from my Kindle 3. Looking forward to load up the purchased "The Ultimate Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" and buy/load "Pillars of the Earth". As for the sideloads, it'll be a few Baen books, the free NASA books and Einsteins relativity theories.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:44 AM   #8
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtx99 View Post
My Kindle for Android app force closes on exit from non-Amazon books. Happens all the time for books that were side-loaded into the app. And it only seems to have the problem when the reading location changes. If I open a side-loaded book by mistake and get out of it right away, without changing the reading location, there's no problem.

Also, no problem with any of the books that were purchased and downloaded from Amazon.
I didn't even know you can sideload books into the Kindle4Android app?
Only knew about the nook4Android app.
How do you do it for Kindle4Android?
Old 10-04-2010, 04:30 AM   #9
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
I didn't even know you can sideload books into the Kindle4Android app?
Only knew about the nook4Android app.
How do you do it for Kindle4Android?
Probably depending on the phone/device you have. When I installed the Kindle4Android on my HTC Desire (Froyo 2.2), the app made a folder "kindle" on my microSD. I then connect the phone via USB to my computer and transfer the .mobi (or .prc) file to this folder.
When releasing the phone from the PC and start up the Kindle4Android app, it "chews" for a while with "syncing and checking for new contents", and violá, the newly loaded books are there.

Fun fact though; the ebooks that I make from text grabbed from internet and copy/pasted into OpenOffice, saved into .odt and then converted via Calibre to .mobi tend, mysteriously *not* to crash..
Old 10-04-2010, 05:11 AM   #10
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Probably depending on the phone/device you have. When I installed the Kindle4Android on my HTC Desire (Froyo 2.2), the app made a folder "kindle" on my microSD. I then connect the phone via USB to my computer and transfer the .mobi (or .prc) file to this folder.
When releasing the phone from the PC and start up the Kindle4Android app, it "chews" for a while with "syncing and checking for new contents", and violá, the newly loaded books are there.

Fun fact though; the ebooks that I make from text grabbed from internet and copy/pasted into OpenOffice, saved into .odt and then converted via Calibre to .mobi tend, mysteriously *not* to crash..
Thanks for the info. I've tried that before though. Didn't work for me (Dell Streak, Android 2.1). I'll try again, maybe it was the books I've tried...
Old 10-04-2010, 04:52 PM   #11
sbtx99
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Thanks for the info. I've tried that before though. Didn't work for me (Dell Streak, Android 2.1). I'll try again, maybe it was the books I've tried...
I did the same as Bikeridr mentioned. Copied a couple .prc & .mobi files into the /sdcard/Kindle directory on my phone. Then I opened the Kindle4Android app, and the books were there. My Kindle4Android app home is sorted by "Most Recent" but the new books were at the bottom of the list for some reason. I was expecting them to be at the top since they were newly loaded.

Last edited by sbtx99; 10-04-2010 at 04:53 PM. Reason: typo