Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-06-2012, 11:50 AM   #16
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
I loved so many of his works, but I vividly remember reading The Martian Chronicals in 8th grade. Our teacher let us lay on the floor and read, so I stuck the book under the bottom of the desk and looked up at it. I remember being amazed at how the stories stuck together to tell a future history-- an idea that I still find interesting in books by other authors.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:55 AM   #17
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryWes View Post
I loved so many of his works, but I vividly remember reading The Martian Chronicals in 8th grade.
That was another one we read in Junior High and did the movie (Rock Hudson) comparison thing on.

He wrote a lot of good stuff.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2012, 12:03 PM   #18
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
“Death doesn't exist. It never did, it never will. But we've drawn so many pictures of it, so many years, trying to pin it down, comprehend it, we've got to thinking of it as an entity, strangely alive and greedy. All it is, however, is a stopped watch, a loss, an end, a darkness. Nothing.” - swtwc
Though he stopped, his legacy lives on. One of the true greats. May he rest in peace.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:06 PM   #19
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
An Evening with Ray Bradbury

Part One:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W-r7ABrMYU

He's quite vocal about most modern stuff being krap. Ebooks, Computers, New Yorker short stories. ... hee-hee.

Part Two:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU51N2s3B78

Last edited by kennyc; 06-06-2012 at 01:02 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:27 PM   #20
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Loved his book RIP Ray. The only book I ever read from him was Fahrenheit 451 and I really enjoyed it.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2012, 12:54 PM   #21
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Some of the greatest visual memories I have from SF were from Bradbury's words. The Martian Chronicles got me hooked on SF. That's the second of my two literary icons down (AC Clarke was the other).

I always chuckled over the recent irony of Bradbury's vocal opposition to ebooks; the writer of Fahrenheit 451, whose heroes dealt with the preservation of books into history by memorizing them, criticizing the digital storage and preservation of texts; but I was always sure it was the romantic in him talking, the side that just loved those bound reams of paper from his lifetime, and not a side that had become blind to the realities of the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
That was another one we read in Junior High and did the movie (Rock Hudson) comparison thing on.
The TV movie had its moments (not very many, though). I'd love to have seen a really good cinematic take on The Martian Chronicles, done by someone with cinematic vision... it could be glorious.

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 06-06-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #22
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
I remember Ray's books very well.

A high point of my childhood was seeing the movie "The Martian Chronicles" and being amazed at the way Bernadette Peters could fill a sweater. She still does Broadway, and I saw her the other night on Television singing with the guy who sometimes acts on "Criminal Mines."

Ray will be missed.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:09 PM   #23
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Dunno. I've read a good chunk of 451 and an entire graphic novel rendition. Can't say I like it. Too much fuel for the toxi-capitalist "government is evil" movement. Course the other one about the schoolteacher getting replaced- which was run in Boys Life back in the early Clinton era- wasn't any better.

I kinda wish I could've asked him why he and Orwell and Rand were so strongly anti-government. I'd like to do something entirely different to Rand.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:12 PM   #24
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
Dunno. I've read a good chunk of 451 and an entire graphic novel rendition. Can't say I like it. Too much fuel for the toxi-capitalist "government is evil" movement. Course the other one about the schoolteacher getting replaced- which was run in Boys Life back in the early Clinton era- wasn't any better.

I kinda wish I could've asked him why he and Orwell and Rand were so strongly anti-government. I'd like to do something entirely different to Rand.
Certainly not the case with all his stories...or even most.

Try my favorites, "Frost and Fire" or "There Will Come Soft Rains" or "The Sound of Thunder"

others
"The Illustrated Man"
"The Martian Chronicles"
Old 06-06-2012, 01:17 PM   #25
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Certainly not the case with all his stories...or even most.

Try my favorites, "Frost and Fire" or "There Will Come Soft Rains" or "The Sound of Thunder"

others
"The Illustrated Man"
"The Martian Chronicles"
Is he really remembered for writing those, or is he remembered for 451 and the one about the schoolteacher? Those are the only ones I see in the schools.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #26
kennyc

Quote:
Is he really remembered for writing those, or is he remembered for 451 and the one about the schoolteacher? Those are the only ones I see in the schools.
We weren't talking about schools, we were talking about what you had read.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #27
Ntsimp
Zealot
Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD, Android
I have no idea what's in the popular consciousness, but when I hear "Ray Bradbury" I think of The Martian Chronicles first, followed by The Illustrated Man. If I think about his stuff for a while I'll get around to Fahrenheit 451, but it doesn't stand out that strongly for me.
I think the first story I read of his was "The Veldt", maybe in fourth grade or so. I guess most kids like violence in their books, but I was fascinated then by how strong an effect he achieved with just the subtle (to me) implication of it.
Ntsimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:28 PM   #28
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
I'd love to have seen a really good cinematic take on The Martian Chronicles, done by someone with cinematic vision... it could be glorious.
I would like to see The Martian Chronicles done as an actual TV series instead of just a mini. They could do each short story as an episode and cover the entire book in a season (or two).
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #29
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntsimp View Post
I have no idea what's in the popular consciousness, but when I hear "Ray Bradbury" I think of The Martian Chronicles first, followed by The Illustrated Man. If I think about his stuff for a while I'll get around to Fahrenheit 451, but it doesn't stand out that strongly for me.
I think the first story I read of his was "The Veldt", maybe in fourth grade or so. I guess most kids like violence in their books, but I was fascinated then by how strong an effect he achieved with just the subtle (to me) implication of it.
Yep, me too. Martian Chronicles, The October Country, The Illustrated Man

The Veldt is widely anthologized in the school literature anthologies as well as some of his others like "The Foghorn" and probably many that aren't coming to mind at the moment.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:38 PM   #30
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:

I really loved 451, but don't recall it as being particularly anti-government. It's been awhile, so I may be misremembering that, but I recall the main themes being censorship of books (at the demand of the people, not originally by force of government) and the effect of video technology and the demand for newness affects people.

I also really like Orwell, and never read Animal Farm or 1984 as particularly anti-capitalist; Animal Farm seemed more anti-soviet style communism and 1984 was more anti-facism and anti-totalitarian government.

Again, 451 is one of my favourite books, but it's been awhile since I read it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
I always chuckled over the recent irony of Bradbury's vocal opposition to ebooks; the writer of Fahrenheit 451, whose heroes dealt with the preservation of books into history by memorizing them, criticizing the digital storage and preservation of texts; but I was always sure it was the romantic in him talking, the side that just loved those bound reams of paper from his lifetime, and not a side that had become blind to the realities of the day.
I also recall an interview with Bradbury where he complained at length about the internet and how it distracts people and makes them stupider, while at the same time as he was interviewed he was watching Fox News on two big-screen TVs. Not that those particularly detract from such a great author.

Last edited by Ninjalawyer; 06-06-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote