Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 02-11-2010, 10:33 PM   #1
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Mine 3rd Reader it be: My black pocket p...

So, I am writing this to just give my small take on my third ereader the Astak pocket p. I already own a Cybook Gen3 and a Sony 505. So, I was not going to be easily amazed at my pocket p.

In general I am very impressed by the product and would recommend it to any first time buyer of eink devices. I will just list a few things and how it matches up next to the 505 and Gen3.

Formats:

I tried many of the formats on the PP. I found epub and pdf to be the best and most consistent with the books that I tried. I was also impressed by fb2, but it seemed to have difficulty with one of the books in that format.

Screen

The PP measures up well against the 505 or the Gen3. The contrast seemed to be just as good as the other screens IMO.The smaller screen size is not a minus at all.

Form factor

Here is where the PP wins hands down. The size and weight is ideal for reading on the go. Also, I found the three ways to change pages to be superior even to the 505 which I consider a workhorse of eink devices.

Bookmarks

Once I looked on the FAQs page of the EZreader website I learned how to use the bookmarks with epub and pdf. That said both the Gen3 and 505 have better and simpler bookmarking systems.

battery life

Only had it a few days but it seems to be in the league of the 505 rather than the slighty shorter battery life of the Gen3 in my experience at least.

Folder support

Seems adequate but I prefer the Sony collection system. Anyways I never use folder support. It does not interest me. I only have 30 books or so on my reader at a time.

Final Thougts:

I just wanted to throw some thoughts out here on the forum. There are enough reviews of the PP and I just wanted to chime in a bit. The Customer service from Robertb and Co. blows Cybook and Sony off the map in my opinion.

I have made the PP my primary reader followed by my 505. Again, I would highly recommend it to any first time user of eink devices. It does have flaws but the benefits outweigh and negatives in my book. I only hope they come out with a smaller screen one day: ie. The mini-Pocket P.....

PS: My third reader, the Gen3 is now in possession of my wife, She ereaderjacked it from me about a month ago. Fortunately, there were no fatalities, only a bit of weeping as my Gen3 Karma dissipated.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:36 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Nice review, hidari.

Simple, clear, direct.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2010, 05:20 PM   #3
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ta desertgrandma, my one fan. Haha..
Old 02-12-2010, 05:28 PM   #4
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Fan number 2 reporting in!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
Ta desertgrandma, my one fan. Haha..
Dear Hidari:

Please mark me down as a big fan also. Your review is wonderful and helpful and I thank you very much!!

SO many people who are thinking about buying a Pocket PRO like it straight and short... and yet with sufficient info to make a decision.

You are a good writer; and I now have a friend in Japan!!

Many thanks and accolades!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:46 PM   #5
hidari
MR Drone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear Hidari:

Please mark me down as a big fan also. Your review is wonderful and helpful and I thank you very much!!

SO many people who are thinking about buying a Pocket PRO like it straight and short... and yet with sufficient info to make a decision.

You are a good writer; and I now have a friend in Japan!!

Many thanks and accolades!
Just bein a bit Sarky....

Anwyays... Robertb,,,,, I put this in the enhancements thread, however, just to point out: it would be great if Astak could develop the ability to turn off flash refreshing like the Gen3 and Opus.. very nice on the eyes.
Advert
Old 02-12-2010, 06:34 PM   #6
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
hidari, Thank you for that clean and simple review and comparison.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:12 AM   #7
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
hidari, thanks for a clear and candid review.
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote