Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-16-2015, 02:02 AM   #1
Ferretqueen
Ferretqueen is clearly one to watchFerretqueen is clearly one to watchFerretqueen is clearly one to watchFerretqueen is clearly one to watchFerretqueen is clearly one to watchFerretqueen is clearly one to watchFerretqueen is clearly one to watchFerretqueen is clearly one to watchFerretqueen is clearly one to watchFerretqueen is clearly one to watchFerretqueen is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Glo
Unhappy New Kobo Glo no series Numbers.

Fourth Kobo Glo. Love them!! One for each member of the family.
New one updated to ver. 3.2.0. Shares same Calibre set-up. Glo with Kobo Touch extended driver. EVERYTHING the same - but NO series numberscome up on the newby.
{series} {series_index:0>2s} - {Title}
HELP. We read long series which is very difficult without the numbers.....

Last edited by Ferretqueen; 09-16-2015 at 02:09 AM.
Ferretqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:28 AM   #2
Ferretqueen
Ferretqueen is clearly one to watchFerretqueen is clearly one to watchFerretqueen is clearly one to watchFerretqueen is clearly one to watchFerretqueen is clearly one to watchFerretqueen is clearly one to watchFerretqueen is clearly one to watchFerretqueen is clearly one to watchFerretqueen is clearly one to watchFerretqueen is clearly one to watchFerretqueen is clearly one to watch

Resolved issue. Even though all other Kobo Glo's didn't need this - this one needed the Metadata Plugboard configured.
Advert
Old 09-16-2015, 03:56 AM   #3
Ferretqueen

Nope - still problems. On my other three Glo's, the "Sort on Title" produces (example)

Collection: Xanth
25 - Swell Foop
Anthony, Piers

The new glo treated exactly as above:

The Swell Foop
Xanth - 25
Anthony, Piers

I want the first example as I can then sort them into numerical order.

Last edited by Ferretqueen; 09-16-2015 at 03:58 AM.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:44 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The first one has the title changed by a metadata plugboard. The second one doesn't but the series info is being set by the driver the next time the device is connected. In this case, the driver is updating the database on the device to add the series info into the metadata the library shows.

My guess is that someone has changed the configuration. Since the first device was connected, the driver configuration was changed so that the series info is being set. And the plugboard has been removed. Or, if you have recently installed the KoboTouchExtended driver, a plugboard needs to be created for it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:40 AM   #5
Ferretqueen

Let me see.
First I updated the Glo software (Brand new book) from the book wifi
Then I loaded the books -
result:
found the software needed updating again (books weren't even in shelves - no series info) tried through Calibre - then through wifi (Kobo - to get latest version which didn't come down through Calibre)-

Deleted books - updated again - reloaded books
(No changes to Calibre settings)
Result:
Books - series info in Collection: Xanth but no series numbers
Wrote plea for HELP
Had idea about metadata plugboard
Added Metadata {series} {series_index:0>2s} - {Title}
(All other Glo readers using the already present and untouched Kobo Touch extended driver had no problems with no metadata plugboard entry.)
Result:
The Swell Foop
Xanth - 25
Anthony, Piers.....
What should I do now? Reset - reload software?

Last edited by Ferretqueen; 09-16-2015 at 09:46 AM.
Advert
Old 09-16-2015, 10:08 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferretqueen View Post
Let me see.
First I updated the Glo software (Brand new book) from the book wifi
Then I loaded the books -
result:
found the software needed updating again (books weren't even in shelves - no series info) tried through Calibre - then through wifi (Kobo - to get latest version which didn't come down through Calibre)-
Unless you are using my Kobo Utilities plugin, and have the firmware check set, then calibre does not attempt to get new firmware for any device.
Quote:
Deleted books - updated again - reloaded books
(No changes to Calibre settings)
Result:
Books - series info in Collection: Xanth but no series numbers
I'm not sure what you mean by this. The series info and collections are not really related. You can have the driver create collections for the series, but the series number is unrelated to this. And if you have the driver setting the series info, it will always set a number. The only way I can think of to not have a series number is if the book came from Kobo. They have plenty of books with series names but no number.
Quote:
Wrote plea for HELP
Had idea about metadata plugboard
Added Metadata {series} {series_index:0>2s} - {Title}
(All other Glo readers using the already present and untouched Kobo Touch extended driver had no problems with no metadata plugboard entry.)
Result:
The Swell Foop
Xanth - 25
Anthony, Piers.....
What should I do now? Reset - reload software?
After creating the metadata plugboard, did you remove the book from the device and send it from calibre again? The metadata is read from the book the first time it is seen and put into the database on the device. The database is used for all metadata displayed on the device. You can replace the book later using calibre, but the metadata isn't updated in the database.

You can update the metadata in the database using my Kobo Utilities plugin. This can use the metadata plugboard or ignore them.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:58 PM   #7
Ferretqueen

Thank you very much for your assistance. The issue is now resolved

I registered the new Kobo Glo with the Kobo Utilities in Calibre, which I had - but never used.
Ejected device.
I reset new Glo to Factory conditions - Settings > Device Information > Factory Reset.
Downloaded the updates via wifi - logged into Kobo - checked the version in Settings> Device Information.
Re-entered Calibre.
Connected, deleted any books which came with the Kobo
Loaded the desired series - ejected book.

The presentation has changed slightly,
Old
25 - Swell Foop
Anthony, Piers
New:
Xanth 25 - Swell Foop
Anthony, Piers

Not quite as tidy as before, however I now can sort on title and have the books in numerical order. Thank you very much!!

Last edited by Ferretqueen; 09-17-2015 at 12:02 AM.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:10 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The presentation has changed slightly,
Old
25 - Swell Foop
Anthony, Piers
New:
Xanth 25 - Swell Foop
Herbert, Frank

Not quite as tidy as before, however I now can sort on title and have the books in numerical order. Thank you very much!!
Which means you are using a different metadata plugboard. You have stated the new one is:
Code:
{series} {series_index:0>2s} - {Title}
My guess is that the old one was:
Code:
{series_index:0>2s} - {Title}
The difference is that the old one didn't put the series name in, just the number. That will work OK if you have a collection for each series and don't use the main library list.

But, I would recommend using one of the following:
Code:
{series}{series_index:0>2s| - | - }{title}
{series_index:0>2s| - | - }{title}
The difference here is that if the book does not have series information, nothing will be added to the start of the title. With your current plugboard, the title of a book that is not part of a series will always start with " - ".
Old 09-17-2015, 12:01 AM   #9
Ferretqueen

It becomes more intriguing.

{series} {series_index:0>2s} - {Title} has been my standard for several years, and remained unchanged, and was copy / pasted to the metadata plugboard which I hadn't been using, until the processing of the new Glo.

I decided to reset back to factory conditions, another Glo previously working as expected. Added it to the Kobo Utilities before I did. Went through exactly the same process of the new Kobo - and guess what!!
It came up with the original desired setting!!
25 - Swell Foop
Anthony, Piers

How about that! Confused - but no problem - as I said intriguing!

I do take your point as to the adding of single editions though. I will address that issue. And again, I must thank you for the use of your brain - much appreciated!
Old 09-17-2015, 01:16 AM   #10
Ferretqueen

Ha! I went back and checked the plugboard after working on the last book - the entry has changed! You are correct! Interesting - I had thought the plugboard was common to every Glo - it seems to work differently on individual ereaders of the same kind. Obviously I had set it up before though I had checked at the start of the process for the new Glo. Thanks again!!

Last edited by Ferretqueen; 09-17-2015 at 01:22 AM.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:25 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

OK, I'm confused to.

Firstly, the firmware version and Kobo Utilities plugin will have not affect on this. Or at least, the plugin won't have any affect when sending a book to the device. You can use it to change the metadata after the book has been processed by the device.

For the title and plugboard, if you are sending the same book to two identical devices from the same calibre installation and library, they should be the same on the device. For something else to be happening, you would need to be doing something in between. The "something" would usually be changing some preferences or sending the books in a different way.

I would like to see what is happening. For that, some calibre debug logs would be good. I can read through these and see what is happening when you send the book. So, could you run calibre in debug mode, send a book that has series info and then repeat for the other device. When you restart in debug mode, calibre will display a message about it. When you close calibre at the end, it will display the log. If you could do this for each device and post the logs, I might be able to see what it is.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:34 AM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

(I posted my other reply without refreshing)

Quote:
Ha! I went back and checked the plugboard after working on the last book - the entry has changed! You are correct! Interesting - I had thought the plugboard was common to every Glo - it seems to work differently on individual ereaders of the same kind. Obviously I had set it up before though I had checked at the start of the process for the new Glo. Thanks again!!
That's not right. The plugboard is dependent on the driver and the format. When creating a plugboard you select the format and the driver and then enter the templates and fields. And you can do this when the device isn't connected.

Could you post screenshots of what you are seeing? Maybe there is something extra I am missing.

Tags
koboglo, series number