Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-23-2014, 05:49 PM   #1
Cool Javelin
Enthusiast
Cool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle (early)
Multiple Simultanious Database

Hello, Is there any way I can open multiple databases in Calibre to increase the size of my library over several disks?

Calibre would have to treat the libraries as one when listing, and searching, and accessing from web server, but when adding a book, you would have to tell Calibre which library to add to. Then any conversions to that book would have to also go to that library.

I guess, calling it a library would be wrong, there would be only one library, but with multiple databases and storage locations.

I ask, because my disk is getting full, and I want to install another drive and simply add new books to the new drive, not move my entire library.

Or, Maybe there is a way of linking 2 folders on 2 drives using windows (XP) so Calibre thinks it is one, but then how would you tell it on which drive to place the new books?

Thanks, Mark.
Cool Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:54 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Calibre can have multiple physical libraries, but there is no way to get Calibre to treat them as a single logical library.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2014, 06:02 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You could do that with something called disk concatenation, which turns two or more hard drives into one partition. But it's risky since if one drive fails you lose all your data. You can also use some RAID configurations to do the same.

Or you could create symbolic links for each author folder, which would point to space on another drive. Easier and safer, but that would take a lot of maintenance.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:40 PM   #4
Cool Javelin
Enthusiast
Cool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle (early)
OK, Thanks

OK, Thanks.

Is there any idea if future versions of Calibre will support this kind of library?

It seems like it would be useful for more then simply handling disk space issues.

One could, for example, have libraries for different users, and have private books and public books too.

My kids could have their Nancy Drew, and such, in their private library, I could have my technical literature, in my private, and we could both share the general reading like C.S. Lewis or J.R.R. Tolkien. in an "all users" library.

I will keep an eye out.

Thanks, Mark.
Cool Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:02 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Javelin View Post
One could, for example, have libraries for different users, and have private books and public books too.

My kids could have their Nancy Drew, and such, in their private library, I could have my technical literature, in my private, and we could both share the general reading like C.S. Lewis or J.R.R. Tolkien. in an "all users" library.
In other words, not "one" library, but two or more libraries or alternatively one library split into virtual libraries?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2014, 11:03 PM   #6
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Javelin View Post
...One could, for example, have libraries for different users, and have private books and public books too.

My kids could have their Nancy Drew, and such, in their private library, I could have my technical literature, in my private, and we could both share the general reading like C.S. Lewis or J.R.R. Tolkien. in an "all users" library...
The wishes in the above quote are easy to do.

I am assuming XP User Accounts work, in the manner that follows, as they do in later versions of Windows (I am pretty sure they do, but it has been years since I have worked with XP user accounts).

One has only to create a User Account in Windows on the PC for each of the users. All will have access to the single Calibre application on the computer but each user can then create their own Calibre libraries and select whatever of the other Calibre libraries that may exist and for which they have been given permissions to access.

They can also configure Calibre's preferences as they want them to be for themselves without those affecting the configurations of other users. Each library can be hidden from selected users by the administrator removing permissions from those users in the to be hidden library's folder properties.

That, of course, does not address your other desire to be able to split a Calibre library over two discs. You seem to have a concern about moving your existing library to the new disc, however to do so is trivial in that you can you can just drag and drop your existing library folder (or folders if multiple libraries) to the new disc and then point Calibre to them. That is what I would be doing.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:39 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
XP allows you to span drives (behaves as one).

But...
You best have good backups, because a single drive failure can hurt big time as some parts may be on the other drive.

Why not clone the old drive to a NEW, bigger (1 or 2T) drive?
Most drive kits come with the software that allows resizing while cloning.

I think I saw a 3T drive for under $100US (My first 40M drive cost $400)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:42 AM   #8
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Cool Javelin,
I agree with the others who have stated you are better off with the library on a single HDD then split over two or more. In my case I had a RAID setup and it failed. I lost the entire library of thousands of books. Luckily, I had not customized the database or edited the book metadata; the entire library was 99.9% raw data. So my backups restored everything with minimal loss.

With that said, you could buy an external USB HDD for a reasonable price. Any drive >500 Gb should be sufficient to hold several hundred thousand ebooks. A drive that small might be on clearance and drastically marked down in today's market.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:10 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabardeyn View Post
Cool Javelin,
I agree with the others who have stated you are better off with the library on a single HDD then split over two or more. In my case I had a RAID setup and it failed. I lost the entire library of thousands of books. Luckily, I had not customized the database or edited the book metadata; the entire library was 99.9% raw data. So my backups restored everything with minimal loss.

With that said, you could buy an external USB HDD for a reasonable price. Any drive >500 Gb should be sufficient to hold several hundred thousand ebooks. A drive that small might be on clearance and drastically marked down in today's market.
If anyone does go the EXTERNAL USB route: be sure to secure all cables into their connectors somehow. USB does not have connector latches. Many External drives use easily detachable power bricks.

Cats and cables- Oh

IMHO permanent data belongs INSIDE for security. USB is great for temporary (backups).
Remember to store your backup in a cool dry place. Preferably off site (think about the recent California fires or Midwest floods) .
Old 06-24-2014, 12:10 PM   #10
fidvo
Addict
fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
IMHO permanent data belongs INSIDE for security. USB is great for temporary (backups).
I disagree. For years I've been carrying around pretty much everything I ever do on the computer on an portable 1TB drive. (Hooray for portable programs!) It's nice to have my entire computing platform available any time I'm at a computer.

Data on an internal hard drive has multiple points of failure that can leave you without your data for possibly days. If the motherboard fails or the power supply fails, or any number of issues arise, you may have to perform surgery on your computer to get up and running.

With your data on an external drive, then if my main computer dies, I can still plug my external drive into my laptop and be up and running within minutes.

I will admit that an external drive is more likely to fail than an internal one, but if I'm making regular backups anyway, what difference does it make?
fidvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:14 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidvo View Post
I disagree. For years I've been carrying around pretty much everything I ever do on the computer on an portable 1TB drive. (Hooray for portable programs!) It's nice to have my entire computing platform available any time I'm at a computer.

Data on an internal hard drive has multiple points of failure that can leave you without your data for possibly days. If the motherboard fails or the power supply fails, or any number of issues arise, you may have to perform surgery on your computer to get up and running.

With your data on an external drive, then if my main computer dies, I can still plug my external drive into my laptop and be up and running within minutes.

I will admit that an external drive is more likely to fail than an internal one, but if I'm making regular backups anyway, what difference does it make?
I was thinking more of Loss-damage Physical security:
Cable knocked loose while in use.
Drive knocked OFF of the desk surface (not a problem if on the floor, unless kicked)
Left behind when not using at home
Old 06-24-2014, 07:50 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by fidvo View Post
I disagree. For years I've been carrying around pretty much everything I ever do on the computer on an portable 1TB drive...
With one exception

Quote:
I will admit that an external drive is more likely to fail than an internal one,
My experience is otherwise, I only have one USB drive that I actually carry around regularly. Its a 160GB 2.5" drive that must be close to 10 years old, it works as good today as it the day I bought it; sometimes it requires dual USB connects to get enough power. To prevent me losing/forgetting the cable, I tethered it to the aluminium housing with kevlar

In that same period I have experienced several internal 3.5" drive failures. Some of which I've been able to resurrect as USB drives, I use them as secondary/tertiary backups.

You can find 1TB 2.5" USB 3.0 drives for $80 or less, there's one from Adata that includes a snap on cover that houses the usb cable.

@theducks - many of your issues with external drives (power bricks, usb cable swapping etc) can be addressed at a modest cost by using a multi-slot disk dock. You can guard against theft by locking the physical disks away when they're not in use. Yes, one does need to handle naked drives with care, but because they are naked, one is more likely to do so.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-24-2014 at 08:36 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:21 PM   #13
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

theducks + computer + CATS = Internal, definitely internal.

PS: OMG, brevity! (Who'ld of thunk it?)
Old 06-25-2014, 09:24 AM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabardeyn View Post
theducks + computer + CATS = Internal, definitely internal.

PS: OMG, brevity! (Who'ld of thunk it?)
Thanks for the support.
How are you at training Cats?
Old 06-25-2014, 08:33 PM   #15
Sabardeyn
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
How are you at training Cats?
Actually, I'm phenomenal at training cats.

Granted, the ASPCA, PETA... well, to be honest, most of the Wikipedia: List of Animal Rights Groups beg to differ. And they've all written me a Cease & Desist order at one time or another... in the last 30 days.

But, really, the cats very quickly learn to behave after just one of my training sessions!

PS: My cousin has cats and the most recent adopted family member is of the opinion that when daddy comes home from work there is Snacky Time, immediately followed by Play Time. If daddy (a mid-level manager) should find himself trying to complete paperwork at home, he can quickly find his computer system without power as the little minx has discovered the function of the power strip button. Barring that she's perfectly willing to bite the cord and yank it out of the electrical socket. She's no longer allowed into the computer room when daddy is working... so she sits outside the door and cries!