Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you have a rooted nook
Yes 68 55.74%
No 54 44.26%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-18-2011, 09:35 AM   #16
waffleman
Enthusiast
waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by peitsao View Post
I would like to root mine, but am afraid of bricking it. Would that void my warranty?

Not rooted; no plans to do so at this time.

RE warranty and rooting - do a search , there are a few threads on that already.
waffleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:38 AM   #17
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
It's pretty much unbrickable. Just use autonooter and you should be fine.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:22 AM   #18
wxgeek96
wxgeek96 will become famous soon enoughwxgeek96 will become famous soon enoughwxgeek96 will become famous soon enoughwxgeek96 will become famous soon enoughwxgeek96 will become famous soon enoughwxgeek96 will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor, iPod Touch (1G)
Not rooted yet, but I suspect that if I am not happy with the next update and/or the Nook version of the app store, I will root.
wxgeek96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:22 PM   #19
nookgirl123
Enthusiast
nookgirl123 began at the beginning.

Device: NookColor
I Wannt to root my nook but am scared to.. i fear i will brick it
nookgirl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:07 PM   #20
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookgirl123 View Post
I Wannt to root my nook but am scared to.. i fear i will brick it
The Nook Color really is difficult to brick. You may have some troubles, but I don't think I've heard of any NC that has truly been bricked. The way it is designed makes it pretty much brick-proof.

If you really want to do it, go for it!! There is a lot of support available here to hold your hand ....

The most difficult thing is getting the autonooter installed on your memory card. after that, it is a 10 minute process!
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:48 PM   #21
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Wow I'm amazed there are so many folks that have rooted their nook. I know the MR crowd is pretty techi but I did not expect 70% rooted.

What jasoraso said the hardest part of rooting is the sd disk. That's a $10 item you can toss in the garage if you mess it up. The rest is easy, especially with the autorooter.

For those that would like to see the nook act like a tablet w/o rooting, look into nookie. This is a Froyo 2.2 build that boots off of the SD disk. You will not have to modify your core nook at all. Once your done playing with the device you can remove the SD disk and it will return to the regular nook.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:16 PM   #22
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookColor.........rooted
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Wow I'm amazed there are so many folks that have rooted their nook. I know the MR crowd is pretty techi but I did not expect 70% rooted.
Yeah, but the results are definitely skewed towards rooted because of this site.....
I'd bet that if this poll were given to people who had just purchased their NC at BN, they wouldn't even know what rooting was (assuming they weren't familiar with Android in general) and the results of the poll would be completely opposite.......

Take this poll to the nookdev site....and it'll likely be closer to 100% rooted

Last edited by The Joker; 01-18-2011 at 03:19 PM.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:47 PM   #23
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Yeah, but the results are definitely skewed towards rooted because of this site.....
I'd bet that if this poll were given to people who had just purchased their NC at BN, they wouldn't even know what rooting was (assuming they weren't familiar with Android in general) and the results of the poll would be completely opposite.......

Take this poll to the nookdev site....and it'll likely be closer to 100% rooted
Heh I know of people buying the NC specifically as a cheap android tablet and have no intention of reading on it.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:51 PM   #24
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
I rooted my classic nook the instant I got it home. If I get a NC this weekend, I am not sure if I will root it right away. I would need an extra card (or get my lent ones back) and I think I would need a sd card writer or something and I don't know what that is (although maybe not with the autonooter).

I don't think the average Nook owner knows what rooting is. I have mentioned it to many people and 90% of them have no idea what I am talking about.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:03 AM   #25
AzB
AzB doesn't litterAzB doesn't litter

Device: nook color
I wasn't planning on rooting, at least not until giving B&N a bit of time to issue updates that would fulfill some of the Nook's potential.

But then we got snowed in, I got bored, and...

I'm not regretting it at all. I got my wife an iPad for Christmas, and the Nook does everything it does, in a much more convenient size, with better battery life, and at less than half the price.

For everything other than work related stuff, or anything that involves a lot of typing, it has completely replaced my laptop.

Az
AzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:12 PM   #26
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
With a product new to market, there is a reliability factor of the product that is unknown that would be of concern. $249 isn't something I'd be willing to spend and play around with and it became unusable. I'd rather wait to see what the software update would bring and I wouldn't buy it beforehand in speculation.

That would be my main concern of rooting which negates the warranty.

Last edited by robertc88; 01-19-2011 at 12:15 PM.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:14 PM   #27
richard_iii
Coder extrordinaire
richard_iii began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
rooted?

Not yet. I am waiting for the OS update, coming RSN, before going down that road
richard_iii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:59 PM   #28
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
I voted no for now as I HAVE already attempted rooting with a crappy old 128MB uSD card that failed. I'm planning to buy a couple of new 8GB class 6 uSDs, and will attempt again at that point, but I've just been distracted since then with finding/purchasing cases, and looking over bluetooth GPS dongles for use w/at least my gTablet if not also eventually with the NC(hopefully)...

[EDIT]
I opted to not manually root it either, as I really primarily use it ATM as a reader, but things will change once late spring hits and it actually starts to get nice here again...
[/EDIT]

Last edited by cutterjohn42; 01-19-2011 at 02:08 PM.
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:16 PM   #29
BogartJim
BogartJim began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
just finished, and happy I did!
BogartJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:54 PM   #30
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
My words on December 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Thanks.

I'm not going to root just yet. I'll wait and see what becomes of the B&N app store early next year. Plus there's the expected update to 2.2 during the same time frame.

I'm seeking more functionality as an ereader. A note taking app would be nice as well. I can get a lot done on my phone so my expectations are minimal. The device is fulfilling as it is.

I am keeping my eye on the Galaxy Tab in hopes of a WiFi-only version sometime next year and a price drop.
A few days later I gave in. The manual root process didn't scare me off.

Last edited by SCION; 01-19-2011 at 03:05 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote