Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-13-2010, 10:57 AM   #1
jangell2
Addict
jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Book Covers Missing?

I haven't bought very many books from Amazon, but so far, non has the book cover. Or is there some trick to viewing it. How about the meta data for the book, can that be viewed? What if I want to see a description of the book on my Kindle before I start reading?
jangell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:02 AM   #2
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
It generally jumps to the first page of the book when you open it. Keep clicking page up to see the cover and TOC etc...

On the selection screen, push right to get more options and see the description + mini cover.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2010, 11:05 AM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Don't be surprised if you just see a generic cover. My understanding it that sometimes the cover art rights don't automatically go with ebook rights. You can use Calibre to add the covers of your choice.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:06 AM   #4
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Don't be surprised if you just see a generic cover. My understanding it that sometimes the cover art rights don't automatically go with ebook rights. You can use Calibre to add the covers of your choice.
It is so annoying when they do that! I can see the cover on the store but when you buy the book you just get a generic cover
Old 09-13-2010, 11:08 AM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
It is so annoying when they do that! I can see the cover on the store but when you buy the book you just get a generic cover
It is but it is fun that we can add a cover with Calibre. Sometimes I pull the cover from an older pbook version that I like better than what is shown with the ebook.
Advert
Old 09-13-2010, 11:22 AM   #6
jangell2
Addict
jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I tried the page back and yes, there was a toc and a non-generic cover. My personal preference would be for it to open to the cover.

I do not like the implementation of seeing a description. It takes you online. Surely there's a description in the metadata. Let me see that.

Of course going online gives Amazon a chance to sell.

As for adding covers to books, we can't do that if it's DRM can we?
Old 09-13-2010, 11:29 AM   #7
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jangell2 View Post
I tried the page back and yes, there was a toc and a non-generic cover. My personal preference would be for it to open to the cover.
No way of changing that. The best you can do is go to the menu when reading the book and then Go to so you can select cover.

Quote:
I do not like the implementation of seeing a description. It takes you online. Surely there's a description in the metadata. Let me see that.
Nope. It doesn't have the description in the book metadata.

Quote:
There are tools available to strip off the DRM so you can import it into Calibre to alter. If you're doing it for your own personal usage and aren't distributing the files then I don't have any problem with doing it.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:53 AM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:

I'm pretty sure, DRM is not an issue since you are only changing metadata. I can add or change covers and metadata with the Mobi2Mobi GUI as well and I know that doesn't care about DRM.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:56 AM   #9
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:

I've added covers to 10 different books before stripping the DRM and didn't have any problem. Somehow I always manage to buy books with generic covers.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:57 AM   #10
Tiersten
Guru

You can alter the metadata without affecting the DRM? Even better then Time to do my collection...
Old 09-13-2010, 06:13 PM   #11
jangell2
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
I've added covers to 10 different books before stripping the DRM and didn't have any problem. Somehow I always manage to buy books with generic covers.
Did you use Calibre for that?
Old 09-13-2010, 06:14 PM   #12
jangell2
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
Nope. It doesn't have the description in the book metadata.

There are tools available to strip off the DRM so you can import it into Calibre to alter. If you're doing it for your own personal usage and aren't distributing the files then I don't have any problem with doing it.
Are you sure it's not in the metadata? The non-Amazon books I have in Calibre sure so a description field with lots of text there.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:34 PM   #13
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
Are you sure it's not in the metadata? The non-Amazon books I have in Calibre sure so a description field with lots of text there.
Yup. I don't have anything in the comments field at all for the books I got from Amazon. All that is filled is in the title, author, publisher and dates. There is an ASIN tag as well but I'm not sure how to view that in Calibre.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:40 PM   #14
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Did you use Calibre for that?
Yes. You click on the Edit Metadata icon for the book you need the new cover for. I then go to Amazon and get the ISBN number from the pbook version. I then download the metadata for that pbook and click the download cover button to get the correct cover.

A before and after sample is below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cover_before.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	58162   Click image for larger version

Name:	cover_after.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	58163  
Old 09-14-2010, 12:17 AM   #15
jangell2
Addict

Well, okee dokee. Now I've got another good reason to add Amazon books to Calibre library.

Tags
covers