Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-22-2010, 01:55 AM   #1
EtherealWinter
The Omega and Alpha
EtherealWinter began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Physical books to come with digital copies aswell?

Hello,
I am wondering if there are any plans for physical books to be release that come with digital copies(i.e. a code and you go to a website to download) ? It's because in my mind the prices of ebooks seem extremely high for a non-physical product. I wouldn't even mind if we brought a book and we could pay like a dollar extra for a digital copy.
EtherealWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 02:03 AM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
It's already happening. Baen Books has been packing ebook-filled CDs in the back of books for years. O'Reilly sells pbook/ebook combos, too, and will sell you the ebook cheap if you have the pbook.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2010, 02:16 AM   #3
Spiffy
Groupie
Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro AND Sony PRS-505
What's being suggested here should be the default, in my opinion, not the exception.

No media costs. That's the thing about eBooks.

Now its been explained ad naseum that eBooks still cost so much because you are paying for a lot of other things besides media cost. You are paying for royalties. For typesetting. For editing. For someone to shoot some stupid commercial where James Patterson can pretend he's an actor. Stuff like that.

But those costs aren't increased in ANY way if someone is given both a physical and an e-copy. They remain the same.

This would, I think, only help the sales of physical books, I think, and be good P.R. as well. Of course some number crunchers are going to agonize over the potential lost revenue of selling the SAME product in different media and making more money, but realistically that doesn't happen that often.

Disney, of all companies, has surprisingly set the precedent here just as much as the likes of Baen or O'Reilly. When you buy a Disney Blueray disk these days you get... a digital copy (a computer playable file) as a bonus feature. Its the same principle.
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote